New member, new to reef, freshwater = old hat.

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the massive amount of info already contained here in the forums. :) I'm slowing filling my brain.

I'm new to reef aquariums but have been doing planted freshwater for a while.

I just bought my 150g SCA tank - it gets here next week and the reef project begins. :)

I'm sure I'll be picking your brains and expertise as I go.

Thanks in advance,
J

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and thank you for introducing yourself
zOk7nol.gif
#WelcometoR2R

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome :)

A nice planted freshwater system can be as complex, and as involved as any reef system. You're chances of success are high :) You're likely to find that a great many of the skills you've developed keeping freshwater systems are applicable to the marine environment. Yeah, there are some key differences, but good aquarium husbandry practices don't change that much from one to the other.

I made the same switch... in the mid 80's :) For me, it was the more interesting critters that reside in the seas that pushed me that way. Seahorses, anemones, oddball crabs and shrimps, cephalopods. Even though it would be years before I was able to keep some of these (I never have done cephalopods, but that might still change one day!), it was these sort of creatures that drove me to salt. After the fact, I found that even in more common sea creatures, the differences between fresh and salt are dramatic. Marine fishes just seem to be... well... more. More active, more colorful, more personality... There just isn't anything in fresh water than holds the kind of interest for me that many marine species do.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Here's a pic from one of my favorite articles on reefkeeping, applicable to new hobbyists and old as well:

eb_reef.jpg

The nitrogen cycle is only the startup of a SW tank cycle. The next 6-12 months is a maturing phase, and it's typically in this time frame where algae outbreaks occur and things can sort of roller-coaster, and if you stock the tank up too quickly, you might see corals randomly dying & fish getting sick, etc...hobbyists can very easily fall into the trap of chasing problems = making more problems => giving up and selling everything off. We don't want that to happen to anyone!

Long-term stability and balance are the keys, and you just can't shortcut the process significantly. That's always the #1 thing to keep in mind!

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Here's a pic from one of my favorite articles on reefkeeping, applicable to new hobbyists and old as well:

eb_reef.jpg

The nitrogen cycle is only the startup of a SW tank cycle. The next 6-12 months is a maturing phase, and it's typically in this time frame where algae outbreaks occur and things can sort of roller-coaster, and if you stock the tank up too quickly, you might see corals randomly dying & fish getting sick, etc...hobbyists can very easily fall into the trap of chasing problems = making more problems => giving up and selling everything off. We don't want that to happen to anyone!

Long-term stability and balance are the keys, and you just can't shortcut the process significantly. That's always the #1 thing to keep in mind!

I like these "rules/guidelines". Makes total sense. Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back