New member starting a salt water reef with a 29 Biocube

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! I place my candy canes on the side where is not a strong light or flow and is doing well.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome4-1_zps4d46ddc5.gif

OP
OP
Mary Carmen

Mary Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!
The tank is a 29 biocube with the middle chamber turned into a refugium. I have some cheto there, but it is not growing much. I can see some type of pods living in there, but can’t name the type. They are curled like shrimps.

Salinity- 1.026
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrates-10
Calcium- 450
Mag- 1370
Alk-8

Fish: 2 clownfish, lawnmower blenny, yellow watchman goby, and a purple dotty back
1 bubble tip anemone
4 blue legged hermit crab, 1 red legged hermit crab, nerith sneal.

Corals- green toadstool, a type of photosinthetic gorgonia, green monti, orange monti, candy cane, green star polyps, and xenia.

Corals and fish are doing well and growing. Except for a mushroom that is hiding behind a rock since a couple of months ago. It has shrank to a dime size. Not sure what to do, I can’t reach it. I put a picture at the end of this post.

I still have some green algae that I need to clean off the rock with a brush, but as long as I keep cleaning often, it is controlled.

Here is a picture of the entire tank right after a weekend feeding feast. I use New Life Spectrum Marine Formula for the fish, and Reef Roids for the Candy Cane, anemone, toadstool, and a couple of other corals I forgot their names.

264BF2B9-6220-4F28-AFDF-3738682FF751.jpeg

I simplified water changing by buying the pacific ocean water 5 gallon box from IMAGINARIUM. It is so much faster than having to make my own salt water. If anyone knows of another brand that they like better, let me know. I change 5 gallons every other week.

I had the clownfish for almost 2 years now and just got the anemone. My problem is that the fish are not interested in the anemone. Any ideas on how to make them move in? Here is a picture of the anemone, is it too young and small for them?

image.jpg

The rock where the nem is, is not permanently attached because I might have to move it when it grows and can reach the other coral.

I would also like to ask for suggestions on what to put in the rock located in the center. It is very low, so I need a coral that doesn’t need much light. I am using the original LED hood lights. Here is a pic from the top.
image.jpg

Pic of the small mushroom under the rocks.
image.jpg

Thank you for your time! I hope you are having a nice weekend.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks looking good, may be a bit before the they get together.

I'd post specific questions in the beginner aquarium discussion section. It's just a love fest of welcoming in here :)

If that’s anything like upcoming Oktoberfest I’m all in

1567979308084.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back