New member starting a salt water reef with a 29 Biocube

Get Fish & Corals directly for the suppliers

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi JustDewwit,
I am running Chemipure, and purigen, and I also have turned the second chamber in a mini refugium with some chaeto growing with an extra light.
I’m currently running the same setup .I have the “Intank media basket” which really ensures a better filtration process.

Corals.com
OP
Mary Carmen

Mary Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Yes Indeed My tank is composed of mainly zoa's. I also have a frog spawn for movement. I have had my Biocube 32 since November. I have learned a lot quickly
20180407_193739.jpg
20180407_193710.jpg
20180408_190147.jpg
Frogspawn would be my next addition.
About the picture, I think I will try that and also turning off all the water flow. Maybe I can get a better picture if I try to take it from the top.

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Frogspawn would be my next addition.
About the picture, I think I will try that and also turning off all the water flow. Maybe I can get a better picture if I try to take it from the top.
How old is your tanks Mary?

Get Fish & Corals directly for the suppliers

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
You are going to love your cube! Looks like you are off to a great start.

Cultivated Reef
OP
Mary Carmen

Mary Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi all!
I think this is cyano. Can anyone confirm?
IMG_0810.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG

So, should I clean it up, or let it be? Will it go away on its own? This tank is a 29 biocube and just finished with the nitrogen cycle. I am going to test the water now and I will post the results in a couple of minutes.
Thank you for reading!
MC

paul barker

View Badges
Reaction score
Looking good they have so many names for zoas one store had a I liked and I find it some place else had a different name
20180419_153015.jpg

OP
Mary Carmen

Mary Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is a quick update on the 29g biocube. It is been running for 2 months. The rocks are turning green and there is less cyano because I am controlling the light.

IMG_0877.JPG

I am not sure if you can see the white dots on the glass but I was able to take a picture of one of them and it looks like hydroid jellyfish (I looked it up). This is the picture, let me know if I should be doing something about it. I am not sure how they got in the tank. Maybe via the cheato? by the way, the chaeto in the refugium is growing great. I am using red and blue growing lights for 12hours. All I did when I added the chaeto was by a bottle of pods and dump them over the chaeto and some on the DT.

IMG_0864.JPG

Am, ni, nitrates are all 0. I already bought an API reef master test kit. It is coming in the mail this weekend.
All fish and the CUC are doing great and the pistol shrimp has grown a lot. I don't get to see him often and I don't feed him so it is impressive to see him almost as big as the yellow watchman goby. What do you think is he eating? Are tiger pistol shrimp scavengers?
I added some Zoas last Sunday are doing well too. They are located in the middle of the tank and get mid-flow. There is one polyp growing on a fragment of rock that is hanging sideways. I am waiting for it to separate from the frag so I can place him somewhere else but not sure if it will happen. I am attaching a picture and please give some suggestions.

IMG_0878.JPG

To summarize I have two questions:
1. What are those white spots on my glass? should I just let them be?
2. What to do about the zoa hanging on the edge of that frag?
Thank you for reading,
MC

Corals.com

Is your Build Thread Badge missing? Uh oh!

• Yes it's gone

Votes: 56 28.7%
  • Nope, I'm quick

Votes: 62 31.8%
  • Uh I don't understand. (you better click and read)

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Never had one...until now!

Votes: 49 25.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Underwater Creations, Inc.