New Midas blenny at the bottom of tank

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a miss blenny a few days ago and as soon as I added him in he sunk to the bottom and hasn’t really moved that much. He is alive but he’s not eating and I’m scared he might die

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that will shock the fish. they need to be acclimated slowly to your tank water. google “fish drip acclimation” and follow it from now on. That fish might be done for. Hopefully you can do the proper acclimation next time.

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that will shock the fish. they need to be acclimated slowly to your tank water. google “fish drip acclimation” and follow it from now on. That fish might be done for. Hopefully you can do the proper acclimation next time.
Well crap. Okay thanks for the information

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drip acclimation is only needed in very certain situations IMO, and should never be done if the fish was shipped in a bag for a few days. This is a good guide: https://aquariawise.com/how-to-acclimate-new-fish-to-tank/

A new fish hiding out for a few days is normal, just leave it alone and let it get adopted to your tank. Hopefully it will pull through, I do believe that if a new fish is alive after 2-3 days, it should be fine. Good luck.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drip acclimation is only needed in very certain situations IMO, and should never be done if the fish was shipped in a bag for a few days. This is a good guide: https://aquariawise.com/how-to-acclimate-new-fish-to-tank/

A new fish hiding out for a few days is normal, just leave it alone and let it get adopted to your tank. Hopefully it will pull through, I do believe that if a new fish is alive after 2-3 days, it should be fine. Good luck.
About to say this. Just because a Midas is at the bottom of the tank for a few days doesn’t mean it’s gonna die. It’s stressed for sure. Midases typically do then when they arrive at the LFS. They’ll turn darker in color and perch on the bottom. After a few days, their coloration will brighten and they’ll start swimming. Don’t get me wrong, you should drip acclimate, but this is normal in most midases. These fish are very good at displaying their emotions. My Midas brightens up when there is food and gets dark stripes when he and my gramma don’t get along too well. Good luck

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to say this. Just because a Midas is at the bottom of the tank for a few days doesn’t mean it’s gonna die. It’s stressed for sure. Midases typically do then when they arrive at the LFS. They’ll turn darker in color and perch on the bottom. After a few days, their coloration will brighten and they’ll start swimming. Don’t get me wrong, you should drip acclimate, but this is normal in most midases. These fish are very good at displaying their emotions. My Midas brightens up when there is food and gets dark stripes when he and my gramma don’t get along too well. Good luck
Thank you for all the help. Should I always drop acclimate fish?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Osmotic shock from poor acclimation. The method you used applies to Freshwater- Not Saltwater.
Best method is to float for 20 minutes and then pour contents into a clean pail and add a cup of water every 15 mins 8X. Test the bucket salinity and compare with tank salinity. It should be about the same +/- 1
If not, continue to add cup of water until theyre equal

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Osmotic shock from poor acclimation. The method you used applies to Freshwater- Not Saltwater.
Best method is to float for 20 minutes and then pour contents into a clean pail and add a cup of water every 15 mins 8X. Test the bucket salinity and compare with tank salinity. It should be about the same +/- 1
If not, continue to add cup of water until theyre equal
Thanks

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crap. Okay thanks for the information
The fish could also be fine. You didn’t do the best method but there’s a really good chance it will survive. In my experience if “dumping into the tank” kills the fish something else was probably wrong with it as well.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never drip if salinity is within a point. If it's not... I bring down new (stored) saltwater to match with RODI and directly add the fish to that and then drip from there.

I swear drip vs not drip is like QT vs not QT... those on both sides that will never agree.

Ofc we have no idea the salinity in the bag of that fish.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never drip if salinity is within a point. If it's not... I bright down new (stored) saltwater to match with RODI and directly add the fish to that and then drip from there.

I swear drip vs not drip is like QT vs not QT... those on both sides that will never agree.

Ofc we have no idea the salinity in the bag of that fish.
Agreed. I know my LFS keeps their tanks at 35 which matches mine so I temp acclimate(still not convinced that this is even helpful) and let them swim out of the bag on their own.

Back