New monti frag aiptasia ?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After ordering from a reputable supplier I’ve noticed what appears to be a large aiptasia growing under my new red monti plate :( so much for the 6 month qt they claim before sending!

Im looking for id and what the heck to do as for up till now I’ve been aiptasia free I’m sure the lepo frag I received also has a small one but is harder to get a pic of as its tiny :(

C70D3DC5-6BD2-47B6-B3E7-40F8B9A78979.jpeg 60300653-FA1D-458D-AC90-244D9A3A941D.jpeg FF1F4988-6A4B-4C95-A665-5F2ECE973610.jpeg

edawq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks like it sorry friend. If you can take the frag and current plug out and remount onto a new one that would be a good start.

View Badges
I’d say so, let’s see what other’s think. Is it already glued down? I’d scrape it off (out of the tank under water) and then swirl it like I were dipping.

I don’t think aptasia are as big a deal as people make them out to be. It’s just that they get out of control quickly. I’ve never had them in a large tank, I image that would suck. I had some in my current nano. Aptasia x on one or two of them and peppermint shrimp. Haven’t seen any in months, but wouldn’t be surprised if some popped back up.

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone What would be the best way to remove the monti plate from the plug I’m guessing prying it off with a flat head screwdriver ? I probably wouldn’t reattach to a frag plug id just epoxy straight onto the rock

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very brittle, I think there will be a good chance you will shatter it if you try to pry it from the plug, unless its very loosely glued

Better to take a thin wire, or even a wire saw, and remove it that way,

Or, use f apitasia to kill it, then just glue the disk to your rock and just remove the stub.

View Badges
They are very brittle, I think there will be a good chance you will shatter it if you try to pry it from the plug, unless its very loosely glued

Better to take a thin wire, or even a wire saw, and remove it that way,

Or, use f apitasia to kill it, then just glue the disk to your rock and just remove the stub.
That’s a great idea.

I’ve had not so great results using a new razor, I think a guitar string would do nicely. I’ll remember that for the next time I want to cut something off.

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This being a plating monti would a thin chisel/ flat head not suffice . Im not looking to frag the the piece i just want to remove the base from the frag plug. Just enough to get under the glue to remove it.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the whole frag,coral and all, soak in sulfuric acid for 1hour. Then, drag it behind your car all the way to the local landfill and throw it as far as you can. Hopefully it will land under a bull dozer!

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the whole frag,coral and all, soak in sulfuric acid for 1hour. Then, drag it behind your car all the way to the local landfill and throw it as far as you can. Hopefully it will land under a bull dozer!
Lol I cannot lie I have considered dashing the coral completely being that it was only £10 however I consider a coral to be an animal and would like to do what I can to try and remedy the situation. The only options I have available to hand is a thin screw flat head screw driver or thin chisel :/ for the cost of a wire saw I could probably pick up a none infested frag for a similar price

OP
OP
DE FISH

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take out the plug find the hole it is in an cover it with crazy glue all done.
This is a option Ive considered however I’d feel more confident removing the frag from the plug that way I no the pest is removed entirely

View Badges
That might kill the aptasia, prolly just spread to the dozer though.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This being a plating monti would a thin chisel/ flat head not suffice . Im not looking to frag the the piece i just want to remove the base from the frag plug. Just enough to get under the glue to remove it.
Ur not using the wire saw to saw it to pieces, you are using it to saw the glue to separate it from the frag. I'm saying if yiu used a flathead and pry it, you are applying uneven pressure to the plate and can very easily shatter it into many pieces along the pressure line

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not get any pieces of the aptasia in your tank if that happens you will have to get a file fish to get rid of them.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a tube of super glue gel and smother the aiptasia and under side of the cap with it. Aiptasia x or kalk paste might burn the cap.

If the cap hasn't grown onto the plug it will likely come off easy with a razor blade gently wedged underneath.

Still, the glue is pretty much guaranteed to do the job.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep easy peasy glue glue glue. Or get a file fish it is so ugly its cute.not sure how big they get . Or pop the coral off the plug and glue the coral were ever you want it. And burn the plug.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back