New nano reef - should I add microalgae ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a Fluval 13.5 that’s currently cycling. I’m a saltwater beginner and I’m wondering what I need to add to my tabk to make it a nice habitat for my future clown fish, corals and CUC.

Should I add this product and if so can I add it at the same time as the pair of clownfish or should I wait ? https://nutramar.com/products/nutramar-chaeto-chaetoceros-coming-soon

I could also add Tigriopus sp. copepods that is sold at my LFS. I’m hesitant to add critter to my tank as this is not something you would do in freshwater and I would be afraid they their population gets out of control. Should I add it and if so, when ?

Thank you !

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto is highly beneficial and I add It to all my tanks daily. Pods are good as well. I don’t know if Algaebarn Ships to canada but they are a very good source for both.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto is highly beneficial and I add It to all my tanks daily. Pods are good as well. I don’t know if Algaebarn Ships to canada but they are a very good source for both.

Thank you. I understand the pods are food for the fish but what does the microalgae do ? Is it to help control nitrate levels ?

How long does a bottle last in a small tank ?

Also, are the pods enough to eat or do you need to supply other foods ?

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phytoplankton provides food for pods, coral, filter feeders, raises oxygen levels, and increases tank pH and yes it reduces nitrates and phosphates as well.
Pods are eaten by fish but also coral and are a clean up crew member as well. No pods don’t replace fish food, it’s just suplemental. A bottle lasts like 1-2 months usually

kaylajoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could also add Tigriopus sp. copepods that is sold at my LFS. I’m hesitant to add critter to my tank as this is not something you would do in freshwater and I would be afraid they their population gets out of control.

I've added seed shrimp, daphnia, copepods, and amphipods (often sold often sold as scuds) to fw and it never hurt anything. It's not typical but I can't imagine how microfauna that you will find in any pond or lake could cause problems. Every body of water in nature has something like this, they're just part of the microbiome.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to dose phyto, you would have to add it regularly. It won't be able to survive in the long term in a reef tank.

The pods won't multiply out of control; their population will match the amount of food available to them. They love phyto.

IMO, even if they did multiply out of control, that would be a good thing. Pods are very beneficial and are harmless.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back