OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t you worried about the copper leeching into the rock? Or are going to remove the rock and sand
------------------------------------------------------

@Ortho281 - 1st, is this mixing station in a closet and if so, can you step back a few feet and tke a couple of pixs b/c I would like to see how you built it or if you're just using a closet?

I am getting ready to set up my saltwater mixing station next to my new SC Rimless 150 but instead of installing it in my garage, I am going to build a closet for my Saltwater mixing station to hold my two 25 gallon Ace Moto containers. I want to do it like your how you have it Vertical instead of the storage barrels sitting next to each other. Here is a shot of mine but I haven't glued anything together since I might want to build the cabinet over the stand with the barrels sitting vertically.

IMG_5735.JPG

IMG_5737.JPG

Yes, all my equipment is in a fish room adjacent to the aquarium. Since this was a new build out I was able to make the fish room exactly 2'x4' to hold all my equipment and not take up too much space!

Fish room 10.jpg

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t you worried about the copper leeching into the rock? Or are going to remove the rock and sand
Yes, I'm sure there will be some copper leeching from the rock and sand bed for quite some time. I am still continuing to run Cuprisorb or Poly filters even though copper is testing zero. It may be a long time before I can add more SPS but the alternative would be too stressful on the fish and could possible cause other issues.

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp Lab released a product that is reef safe for ick and marine velvet. Just an fyi I have no idea if it works

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks awesome!

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyp Lab released a product that is reef safe for ick and marine velvet. Just an fyi I have no idea if it works
Thanks! Tried it but unfortunately it did not work for me. So had to use Coppersafe which worked fast and did not stress fish like Cupramine does.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a stalker, I mean a follower sine the beginning:eek::D

Just a suggestion, have you thought about using vitamins to help with the stress/ich?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all my equipment is in a fish room adjacent to the aquarium. Since this was a new build out I was able to make the fish room exactly 2'x4' to hold all my equipment and not take up too much space!

Fish room 10.jpg

@Ortho281 - I don't mean to be a pain in the butt but that is what I am going to be doing for my Mixing station, RODI, Neptune DOS system, etc install in a closet that I am building. Would you be so kind and take some pictures of the closet from a little bit of a distance so I CAN see how you built yours, please?
I am going to have my closet 5 ft from my tank but was not sure how it would look. Did you build your closet to the roof? Size 2x4ft and to the ceiling?

IMG_5735.JPG

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ortho281 - I don't mean to be a pain in the butt but that is what I am going to be doing for my Mixing station, RODI, Neptune DOS system, etc install in a closet that I am building. Would you be so kind and take some pictures of the closet from a little bit of a distance so I CAN see how you built yours, please?
I am going to have my closet 5 ft from my tank but was not sure how it would look. Did you build your closet to the roof? Size 2x4ft and to the ceiling?

IMG_5735.JPG
In the beginning of the thread, one two page into the thread you can see the build out. The build out is in a commercial building but I would assume to code the ceiling in 8' and the walls are made with steel studs and reinforced with wood studs.
A suggestion, sketch something out and we can see what you are thinking and help you out.

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been a stalker, I mean a follower sine the beginning:eek::D

Just a suggestion, have you thought about using vitamins to help with the stress/ich?
No problems with ick or velvet since treating with Coppersafe this past summer. I'm not planning on adding any more fish and will continue to QT all corals and CUC before adding them to my system.

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5735.JPG
Yes, my closet extends to the ceiling. If you thumb thru this build thread you will see lots of pics showing exactly how everything was build. Hopefully these pics will answer your questions?

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: After adding back a few SPS frags and LPS which I was keeping in my QT, all of the SPS frags died and several LPS pieces also did not make it. My copper is still testing zero and my Cuprisorb packs are not changing color indicating there is not much copper present in the system. However, I'm convinced that there may still be some copper leaching from the sand and rocks. Changing out the rocks and sand at this time is not an option for me. I also had a bit of an issue with cyano after putting my biopellets back online. That was taken care of by leaving lights off for 2 days. All of the fish are doing well, getting fat and getting along. I am still doing daily 2 gallon auto water changes. I will be waiting several more months before trying to add back any more corals and also submitting a water sample to Triton.

update3.jpg

Last edited:

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a beautiful tank, peninsula builds are my favorite. Your new office has a great aesthetic.

As a kid, some of my first experiences with reef tanks were at my orthodontist's office. I think it had a large part in sparking my interest in biology and science in general.

OP
OP
Ortho281

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a beautiful tank, peninsula builds are my favorite. Your new office has a great aesthetic.

As a kid, some of my first experiences with reef tanks were at my orthodontist's office. I think it had a large part in sparking my interest in biology and science in general.
Thank you! I too have always had an affinity for the ocean. I'm guessing it has something to do with growing up in Jamaica as a child.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back