New Orphek Atlantik iCon LED Light

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just used to bolts that come with the light and slid them in the 1515 8020. @biecacka is spot on
I was thinking about putting short 1515 on each light and then mounting that to cross pieces so that every light can move in both an x and y plane. Seems like nice flexibility to account for grow out and shadows. I don't have my lights in hand yet, do you think this would work?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about putting short 1515 on each light and then mounting that to cross pieces so that every light can move in both an x and y plane. Seems like nice flexibility to account for grow out and shadows. I don't have my lights in hand yet, do you think this would work?

I don’t see why not, my tank is 84 long and only have the 6 lights covering 72, I found more than that was a waste of light

2371EAA0-B78C-4DB5-8246-9609A600C216.jpeg

ChicagoShoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys know if the bolts for the lights would fit in 1010 extrusion? Local place has some but if that won’t work I’ll just order some 1515. Thanks!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys know if the bolts for the lights would fit in 1010 extrusion? Local place has some but if that won’t work I’ll just order some 1515. Thanks!

Well I can say I used 1515 and I would not want it any tighter than that, you can go to 8020.com and they have the spec sheets for the rail, I would just verify channel size between the 2

TTNuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with a Red Sea XXL750 where technically the tank is only 71" in length do you think 3 running parallel to the front of the tank would have a significant amount of light spill on the side? Going SPS dominate so I want to blanket the tank with light.

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with a Red Sea XXL750 where technically the tank is only 71" in length do you think 3 running parallel to the front of the tank would have a significant amount of light spill on the side? Going SPS dominate so I want to blanket the tank with light.
When you figure your scape, it's likely that the amount of light needed front to back is maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the tank. You should get good coverage with 3 end to end. Corals can shadow each other so as long as you account for this in placement you should be fine.

TTNuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you figure your scape, it's likely that the amount of light needed front to back is maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the tank. You should get good coverage with 3 end to end. Corals can shadow each other so as long as you account for this in placement you should be fine.

Thanks, I agree and think front to back will be OK. I am leaving a bit extra room in the front of the tank to encourage fish to swim there and also make it easier to clean.

My biggest concern is with the length of the lights, as well as the antenna placement, that the 3 of them will be longer than my tank and I will have an inch or two more light on each side than tank. And this would lead to excess light spill on each side.

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I agree and think front to back will be OK. I am leaving a bit extra room in the front of the tank to encourage fish to swim there and also make it easier to clean.

My biggest concern is with the length of the lights, as well as the antenna placement, that the 3 of them will be longer than my tank and I will have an inch or two more light on each side than tank. And this would lead to excess light spill on each side.
Ahh. If your access point/router is close enough you maybe won't need the antenna. You could maybe get a cheap antenna with a wire lead as the take off is lower profile. Lastly you could stagger the middle light either vertically or horizontally. You may spill a little bit.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to attached the top to the ceiling? Would any combination of eye hooks and a nut that fits work?
I used a fully closed eye hook and then a hook to connect to it. Painted them both black.

corey

Attachments

• 53280696-7875-4CBD-9355-1C31829AAB44.jpeg
    53280696-7875-4CBD-9355-1C31829AAB44.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 98

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Icon compact and it does appear to have some discoball effect at the very edges of the tank (30"x24") but does light it well, hoping 2 or3 bars might help. I want to keep the same spectrum or make it just slightly bluer for a bit more pop so i was thinking of using 2 reef day or 2 blue plus (i dont want the blue to be overpowering but still get some more pop so im thinking this will fare better than the sky blue for me) mounted spanning the width of the tank angled in to hopefully overcome the discoball effect at the edges. I also have an illumagic vitamini i planned to use with the icon but may just scrap it in favor of the 2 blue plus .
Anyone using these lights with reef day or3 at all or with the atlantik v4?

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Icon compact and it does appear to have some discoball effect at the very edges of the tank (30"x24") but does light it well, hoping 2 or3 bars might help. I want to keep the same spectrum or make it just slightly bluer for a bit more pop so i was thinking of using 2 reef day or 2 blue plus (i dont want the blue to be overpowering but still get some more pop so im thinking this will fare better than the sky blue for me) mounted spanning the width of the tank angled in to hopefully overcome the discoball effect at the edges. I also have an illumagic vitamini i planned to use with the icon but may just scrap it in favor of the 2 blue plus .
Anyone using these lights with reef day or3 at all or with the atlantik v4?
Use the sky blue version. I believe it's called that. More "crisp" blue color

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wasnt sure if the sky blue would be more overwhelming than the blue plus though. Do you think it will help overpower the discoball effect on the sides of the tank if run across the tank like i plan too. Sorry if you arent sure yourself but I am just looking for some help with these a bit and dont want to get the wrong one

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wasnt sure if the sky blue would be more overwhelming than the blue plus though. Do you think it will help overpower the discoball effect on the sides of the tank if run across the tank like i plan too. Sorry if you arent sure yourself but I am just looking for some help with these a bit and dont want to get the wrong one
Blue plus is what I use and it's very strong uv, and 410-440 nm

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the v4's with or3 blue plus and I like the combo. Will be uprading to icon soon

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back