New Orphek Atlantik iCon LED Light

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the new "Icon" retrofit kits in my v4 fixtures.

I've had the boards since July and got the new control/pc cards the week they were able to release them (long story).

The led boards, I'm not overly impressed with aesthetically no matter what I've done settings wise in honesty.

Depending on Dana's results, I'm tempted to put my old boards back in and keep the new control/pc cards and pwm fans.

Overall, once you figure out how to add your lights then group them, the new app is fantastic and has great capability for overall "smart" control of almost anything around the house or if you diy, it'd be great for control of wifi and bluetooth relays and such also if one wanted to make a cheap smart power strips /diy power bars and such for simple on/off control.

So, I'm personally interested to see Dana's spectral analysis results on these boards compared to the v4 overall and to hear his insights with his knowledge of coral chlorophyllic information (if thats a thing or makes since to anyone but myself).

I don't expect anything like better spread or more intensity as the power supply is the same along with the lenses and faceplates.

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t wait to see what Dana shows. The spectrum change didn’t seem that extreme, looks like more violets, but I don’t have both set list here right now. Of course my fixture it will be a huge change since channel 3 burned out (again) and some lens too, so the conversation will be a lot more power, ha! Also nice they have some glass lens as mine also burnt. I do like the lights but clearly cooling has been an issue (it seems) so I bought the aluminum top as well.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll chime in...I'm excited! I have the V4 with the 20/21 spectrum, but I feel these might raise the bar. Let's find out!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completed my upgrade of the board, controller, glass lens, and aluminum top and detailed on my build thread if anyone is interested. Considering the power and price point of 930 from orphek shipped and no need for a gateway now, I think these are a solid ‘value’ for high par demands. One fixture is imo perfect for my 3’x2’ tank.

i give it mixed marks, I clearly am not thrilled with channel 3 burning out, but am happy they offer upgrades. I pretty much have a totally new light now. Been running this fixture for bit over 3 years and hope to get 3+ More with the improvements they made to cooling. I also appreciate how they seem to keep making changes to improve the product where it needs it.

I have temp readings and my program detailed on the build thread along with par measurements. I flat out can’t tell a difference in color if matching the old brs recommended settings with the new board other than imo some slight improvements with blending I think due to the layout change.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completed my upgrade of the board, controller, glass lens, and aluminum top and detailed on my build thread if anyone is interested. Considering the power and price point of 930 from orphek shipped and no need for a gateway now, I think these are a solid ‘value’ for high par demands. One fixture is imo perfect for my 3’x2’ tank.

i give it mixed marks, I clearly am not thrilled with channel 3 burning out, but am happy they offer upgrades. I pretty much have a totally new light now. Been running this fixture for bit over 3 years and hope to get 3+ More with the improvements they made to cooling. I also appreciate how they seem to keep making changes to improve the product where it needs it.

I have temp readings and my program detailed on the build thread along with par measurements. I flat out can’t tell a difference in color if matching the old brs recommended settings with the new board other than imo some slight improvements with blending I think due to the layout change.
How does the light look compared to the V4 look when looking at the tank? Is it just as pleasing as the V4 light look? Also, is the aluminum top required to run the new ICON light board?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the light look compared to the V4 look when looking at the tank? Is it just as pleasing as the V4 light look? Also, is the aluminum top required to run the new ICON light board?
I sprung extra for the top, it’s not needed nor is it a part of their standard upgrade kit. I just wanted the most cooling possible, but I doubt many who upgrade will get the top and it’s probably not needed.

I would say visually it’s the same but the blending is better. The led layout is better I think with solid blue strips

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the upgrade includes the LED boards along with the new LED’s?
Upgrade kits include the Icon led boards, glass lenses, the new Icon IoT pc/controller boards/ipex antenna, (new Orphek Icon app is awesome and no need for the gateway), new pwm fans, temp sensor and reset button.

Basically all of the guts are replaced minus the heatsink.

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anywhere, @Dana Riddle and any updates on your testing by chance? Seems like left to our own devices we're taking your post off track lol

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anywhere, @Dana Riddle and any updates on your testing by chance? Seems like left to our own devices we're taking your post off track lol
I apologize for the testing taking so long. Even though I'm retired, I became the Primary Trustee of my late Mom's estate last February. I didn't realize it would be practically a full time job - much like running a small business. There's management of real estate (complete remodel of her house), an eviction in one rental property, dealing with another good tenant, probate, attorneys, CPAs... It just on and on. Plus, I have a reef tank. :cool:

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for the testing taking so long. Even though I'm retired, I became the Primary Trustee of my late Mom's estate last February. I didn't realize it would be practically a full time job - much like running a small business. There's management of real estate (complete remodel of her house), an eviction in one rental property, dealing with another good tenant, probate, attorneys, CPAs... It just on and on. Plus, I have a reef tank. :cool:
But must have something for us mortalfolk who look for opinion and want the nod to purchase this light or look elsewhere! Better than old light or Not mr riddle!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But must have something for us mortalfolk who look for opinion and want the nod to purchase this light or look elsewhere! Better than old light or Not mr riddle!
Even without Dana’s tests, thank you by the way for all you do - thousands appreciate it, the icon isn’t all that different spectrum wise and the same power. You can look up the spectrum and led change from orphek, small changes, nothing wild, but with improved control, more channels, glass lens on violets and near uv, better cooling, stronger variable fans, cooling aluminum top plate and I think better layout for blending but that is more subjective. I don’t see how if one liked the previous model the icon would be anything but an upgrade with lots of improvements particularly over the old gateway controller style.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just based on spectrum with the new 730nm LEDs, I'd say the iCon has pushed envelope. The review I'm writing will explain why this is an improvement.

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just based on spectrum with the new 730nm LEDs, I'd say the iCon has pushed envelope. The review I'm writing will explain why this is an improvement.
Thanks Dana for your reply and will be a good review like all your reviews are!

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is interested in purchasing I received this mailing ... Unfortunately mine is ordered and paid for already...

For our newest launch – The Atlantik iCon:

PRICE for one unit ~10% off + free shipping

Instead of USD$935 (original price) now you can purchase 1 x USD$850

PRICE for two units ~ 15% off + free shipping

Instead of 2x USD$935 (original price) now you can purchase 2 x USD$795

Back