New Orphek Atlantik iCon LED Light

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this makes me feel better, it’s Icons or back to halides at this point. I love a true 20k or even 14k
I think I’ll love the look. I’ll try to post some pictures tomorrow.
Also at 100% I was going 500-600 par near the top of the water. I’ve settled in about 70% as it gives me 300-400 in the first 6” of the water column and 50-150 on the sandbed of my 180 (6’x2’x2’)

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ll love the look. I’ll try to post some pictures tomorrow.
Also at 100% I was going 500-600 par near the top of the water. I’ve settled in about 70% as it gives me 300-400 in the first 6” of the water column and 50-150 on the sandbed of my 180 (6’x2’x2’)

How high are they mounted from the top of the tank?

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a full tank shot

ABF644FC-96AD-448E-8F03-5E390C816BDC.jpeg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The limes and pc amber really help take out the traditional windex look. Thankfully more fixtures are including them. But again dropping the blue channels a few % if you want whiter isn’t going to hurt anything at all. Few run 100% intensity anyway.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The limes and pc amber really help take out the traditional windex look. Thankfully more fixtures are including them. But again dropping the blue channels a few % if you want whiter isn’t going to hurt anything at all. Few run 100% intensity anyway.

I put of GNC Bluerays over my new build and am happy with them other than the spectrum is too blue, they only have 3 channels. No matter how I adjust them all of the fish have a blue hue to them that I don’t like. Looking for a light I can get growth but also shows the color of the fish in a more natural spectrum.

Thank you @BoneDoc and @hart24601

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put of GNC Bluerays over my new build and am happy with them other than the spectrum is too blue, they only have 3 channels. No matter how I adjust them all of the fish have a blue hue to them that I don’t like. Looking for a light I can get growth but also shows the color of the fish in a more natural spectrum.

That's why I hated replacing my MH with LEDs - the fish all lost their color. My MH setup included a super actinic LED bar at the front of the tank tilted towards the middle of the tank. It was the best of both worlds with incredible coral growth and amazing fish and coral colors. Trying to decide what to do on my new tank.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I hated replacing my MH with LEDs - the fish all lost their color. My MH setup included a super actinic LED bar at the front of the tank tilted towards the middle of the tank. It was the best of both worlds with incredible coral growth and amazing fish and coral colors. Trying to decide what to do on my new tank.

Here is the problem with halides, deep down inside I know I really want halides. Issue is they are ugly as hell, have to store replacement bulbs and spares, and then there is the wife factor that throws another grenade in the mix. So more than likely halides are out for me, I was given a hard no this morning from the queen herself

My wife does not care at all what I spend on the reef tank but will be the first to say no if it doesn’t look good. I pick my battles

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the problem with halides, deep down inside I know I really want halides. Issue is they are ugly as hell, have to store replacement bulbs and spares, and then there is the wife factor that throws another grenade in the mix. So more than likely halides are out for me, I was given a hard no this morning from the queen herself

My wife does not care at all what I spend on the reef tank but will be the first to say no if it doesn’t look good. I pick my battles
You are not alone sir. Exactly why my halides came down in this house. I do hope you find something you like, as I am still struggling to get the look I want over my tank in the house with no halides. I am close, but there are only so many kessils and t5s I can put above the tank lol.

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Then you’d love the Orphek as long as the mounting height works for you

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I really like with the Orphek is how good they look ABOVE the tank. It really makes for an overall pleasing aesthetics if you don’t already have a canopy to hide your lights. Even the BRS team noted how good they look overall above the tank in their lighting showdown.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not alone sir. Exactly why my halides came down in this house. I do hope you find something you like, as I am still struggling to get the look I want over my tank in the house with no halides. I am close, but there are only so many kessils and t5s I can put above the tank lol.
I discussed T5's today and was given the OK but I'm right back to bulbs again.
Then you’d love the Orphek as long as the mounting height works for you
I can hang them feet above the tank if needed, that is not how my lights are setup now but to show the rack

213f6e17-a89b-4cfe-a2ca-6e74a7ad1123-jpeg.2450322

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t think they were ugly the way I had them set up. I didn’t have a full hood I had what I called sort of a top hat. I have to see if I can find pictures.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discussed T5's today and was given the OK but I'm right back to bulbs again.

I can hang them feet above the tank if needed, that is not how my lights are setup now but to show the rack

213f6e17-a89b-4cfe-a2ca-6e74a7ad1123-jpeg.2450322
My point exactly on the bulbs. I do not mind changing them and the cost is not that bad, but it is something else to do. Something else to have around. Spare ballasts and ends, just in case. One day I will decide on a light to keep, but just have not done it yet lol. That just reminded me, I need to clean the kessils 360s above the 180 lol. See, one more thing to do lol.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just paid for 5 Icons, Orphek says they will get them out before the holiday there. Worse case I'll just order a 72" Spectra and wait the 3-5 months to get it and install it while the wife is traveling lol.

Orphek owes you commission @BoneDoc

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pc amber and lime really help with that. Over on nano reef years ago there was a small led builder that advocated for lime especially and used them in his fixtures, it gives the ’brightness’ many mh users felt they were missing with leds. He sadly closed shop, but the use of these has gradually trickled into more fixtures. They improve color rendition of blue led as well so you get better fish and non fluorescent coral color, from what I understand it’s why they were developed, for photography. I think because they don’t don’t increase PUR big places have not wanted them so they could boast about “useful” power, but finally places are realizing reefers want more than just power.

reefi is another company that is smaller but fantastic that has lime and pc Amber so you can dial them as wanted. I think the sky has pc Amber too but not sure how many or what it can do in that fixture.

MantisReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually got my hands on some of the new Icon lights pretty early, I've had them since the end of September. I just wanted to add my experience with the Icon. I'm currently using 6, 1 over a 4 ft basement frag tank and 5 over my 400 gallon display.

The frag tank also has 4 OR3 bars, 2 Sky Blue and 2 Blue Plus in addition to the V4 Icon. On this tank I use the base Helius program with a max of 50%. This combo with the OR3 bars is my favorite light combination I have ever tried. Color and growth is optimal.
51818931034_8960f95c95_c.jpg

51818709463_4cf8f169be_c.jpg

On my display tank I just use the 5 Orphek Icon's. I've tried and tried to reproduce the spectrum of the basement tank unsuccessfully. I ended up with the Helius with boosted Blue channels and reduced Channels 1 and 2. Looks fantastic but I may add some Blue Plus OR3 bars in the future for some added punch. Growth is off the chart and I really love Orphek's new lights. I will post a full tank shot of the display tank when I get home, I cleaned the glass last night.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually got my hands on some of the new Icon lights pretty early, I've had them since the end of September. I just wanted to add my experience with the Icon. I'm currently using 6, 1 over a 4 ft basement frag tank and 5 over my 400 gallon display.

The frag tank also has 4 OR3 bars, 2 Sky Blue and 2 Blue Plus in addition to the V4 Icon. On this tank I use the base Helius program with a max of 50%. This combo with the OR3 bars is my favorite light combination I have ever tried. Color and growth is optimal.
51818931034_8960f95c95_c.jpg

51818709463_4cf8f169be_c.jpg

On my display tank I just use the 5 Orphek Icon's. I've tried and tried to reproduce the spectrum of the basement tank unsuccessfully. I ended up with the Helius with boosted Blue channels and reduced Channels 1 and 2. Looks fantastic but I may add some Blue Plus OR3 bars in the future for some added punch. Growth is off the chart and I really love Orphek's new lights. I will post a full tank shot of the display tank when I get home, I cleaned the glass last night.

Wow that is stunning!

I will pick up some bars once Orphek makes them controllable someday.

Back