New Orphek Atlantik iCon LED Light

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually got my hands on some of the new Icon lights pretty early, I've had them since the end of September. I just wanted to add my experience with the Icon. I'm currently using 6, 1 over a 4 ft basement frag tank and 5 over my 400 gallon display.

The frag tank also has 4 OR3 bars, 2 Sky Blue and 2 Blue Plus in addition to the V4 Icon. On this tank I use the base Helius program with a max of 50%. This combo with the OR3 bars is my favorite light combination I have ever tried. Color and growth is optimal.
51818931034_8960f95c95_c.jpg

51818709463_4cf8f169be_c.jpg

On my display tank I just use the 5 Orphek Icon's. I've tried and tried to reproduce the spectrum of the basement tank unsuccessfully. I ended up with the Helius with boosted Blue channels and reduced Channels 1 and 2. Looks fantastic but I may add some Blue Plus OR3 bars in the future for some added punch. Growth is off the chart and I really love Orphek's new lights. I will post a full tank shot of the display tank when I get home, I cleaned the glass last night.
Looks awesome… and that’s a great side hussle there with all those euphillia. What’s your secret sauce there?

Last edited:

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put of GNC Bluerays over my new build and am happy with them other than the spectrum is too blue, they only have 3 channels. No matter how I adjust them all of the fish have a blue hue to them that I don’t like. Looking for a light I can get growth but also shows the color of the fish in a more natural spectrum.

Thank you @BoneDoc and @hart24601
Did you consider the coralcare gen 2 ? More of a white spectrum

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a super quick shot of the display, I have been using Orphek V4's for about 3 years now. Changed them all out with the Icon upgrade 3 months ago. Really not bad at all, did all 5 in an afternoon with a little bit of help.

51819576480_361dca9308_c.jpg

What are the dimensions of that tank? It's beautiful!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you consider the coralcare gen 2 ? More of a white spectrum

Yeah, I know a few people that run them and decided the mounting was not going to work for me along with they do not cover 33" wide front to back with the PAR I'm looking for. Great light for a 2' wide tank, that and Phillips ticked me off when they released these lights as I was on pre-order and they never gave the discount so I passed.

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if you can use the outermost threads to mount the lights from or do you have to use the middle ones?

Last edited:

carlosec83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if you can use the outermost threads to mount the lights from or do you have to use the middle ones?
You can interchange the screws. I did that and they were fine. The screw holds the glass in place and NUT is either the hanging nut or the t-slot nut

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to upgrade my lighting over then next 2-3 years. How many of these units would I need to cover a 48x24x16" tall tank? Or would multiple compact orpheks be a better fit?

carlosec83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to upgrade my lighting over then next 2-3 years. How many of these units would I need to cover a 48x24x16" tall tank? Or would multiple compact orpheks be a better fit?
There's a BRS video that goes in depth with these tank measurements. If I remember correctly 2 compacts as @VanDalsenReef said

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might also add orphek strips. Cover that 24 width

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might also add orphek strips. Cover that 24 width
Thanks, I are the compacts the same as the new icon LED wise? It will be a few years before I upgrade and maybe the "new" compacts will be changed too.

Also, do any of the preset spectrums they offer provide a nice 14k look, like a radium with actinic supplementation? One of the things I dislike about my radions is that most of the presets are too blue. I prefer a more white light but don't want to stray from a preset because they are "proven" to work.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I are the compacts the same as the new icon LED wise? It will be a few years before I upgrade and maybe the "new" compacts will be changed too.

Also, do any of the preset spectrums they offer provide a nice 14k look, like a radium with actinic supplementation? One of the things I dislike about my radions is that most of the presets are too blue. I prefer a more white light but don't want to stray from a preset because they are "proven" to work.
You can upgrade the compacts as of right now. They may be for sale from orphek. Orphek can be very white

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20211217_122248.jpg

Back