New Orphek Atlantik iCon LED Light

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Does anyone notice any disco ball effect when hung 15"-16" above the water line? I do not own the icons. I am just putting together stuff for a possible tank upgrade.

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone notice any disco ball effect when hung 15"-16" above the water line? I do not own the icons. I am just putting together stuff for a possible tank upgrade
Not sure if this makes sense but I can see it slightly in the shadow areas on the substrate where a bit of light passes through the corals. If you're not looking for it you probably wont notice.

carlosec83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at a new build with either an IM200ext 72 long x 30 front to back x 21 deep. Or a custom that is the same size but 24 deep. For a mixed reef type setup with SPS in high PAR areas and lower light corals in the gutters/sand bed, would two icons be enough? Maybe 2 icons plus some OR3 strips? Would I be better off with 3 compacts? It seems so many lights are meant for 24" front to back, the extra 6" throws things off.
I have a 60"x34"x24" peninsula. I have 3 regular sized icons placed from to back and it's more than enough. 72" unless your running them in series you can add or3 on the back and front of them. Based on the coverage and intensity I have mine I could easily get 72" light spread

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at a new build with either an IM200ext 72 long x 30 front to back x 21 deep. Or a custom that is the same size but 24 deep. For a mixed reef type setup with SPS in high PAR areas and lower light corals in the gutters/sand bed, would two icons be enough? Maybe 2 icons plus some OR3 strips? Would I be better off with 3 compacts? It seems so many lights are meant for 24" front to back, the extra 6" throws things off.

My tank is 84x33x25 and orphek recommended 3 Icon's with 2 light bars or 3 ran perpendicular. I ended up going with 5 perpendicular for complete overage as I'm 99.9% SPS .The lights being 24 long covers the 33 inches no problem.

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 84x33x25 and orphek recommended 3 Icon's with 2 light bars or 3 ran perpendicular. I ended up going with 5 perpendicular for complete overage as I'm 99.9% SPS .The lights being 24 long covers the 33 inches no problem.
I guess I could start with 2 icons and get some PAR numbers then. If they cover 33" well, overlap may let them do 72" end to end. The front and backs would likely be the limiting factor. Ultimately, I probably won't put corals behind the rock work (backs up to fish room) anyway so positioning them slightly forward may work if I don't go full SPS.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a super quick shot of the display, I have been using Orphek V4's for about 3 years now. Changed them all out with the Icon upgrade 3 months ago. Really not bad at all, did all 5 in an afternoon with a little bit of help.

51819576480_361dca9308_c.jpg
@MantisReef
Do you mind sharing what channel settings on your display you ended up with?

MantisReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MantisReef
Do you mind sharing what channel settings on your display you ended up with?
Mid day peaks for all channels are as follows.
Ch1 25%
Ch2 50%
Ch3 75%
Ch4 75%
Ch5 75%
Ch6 60%
They ramp up and down to those peaks with the familiar Helius pattern.
I use the "cloud" setting for a few hours mid day as well to help minimize the chance of overheating channels 3-6.

So far so good, the goal is to maximize longevity by keeping the LED temp's down as much as possible.

Last edited:

NickHolmes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mid day peaks for all channels are as follows.
Ch1 20%
Ch2 35%
Ch3 75%
Ch4 75%
Ch5 75%
Ch6 60%
They ramp up and down to those peaks with the familiar Helius pattern.
I use the "cloud" setting for a few hours mid day as well to help minimize the chance of overheating channels 3-6.

So far so good
Mine is similar to yours but Isn’t the helius setting based on all channels running equally?

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Orphek, question for you guys. I run the Atlantik V4 G2 lights and currently run the coral color+growth pre set program. I like it, but was curious what you think the best program for SPS is. Do you think this one is blue enough, too much white, or just right? With the trends now being more blue and some suggesting that is better for the corals....I run 2 of the full size units on my 48x48x24 cube about 16 inches off the tank top.

corey

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back