New Peacock Mantis Shrimp

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I recently purchased a 4.5 inch peacock mantis shrimp and introduced it into a 100 Gallon setup. It's tank-mates include about 8 small damsels, 20 assorted hermits, and several snails. It has about 100 lbs. of live rock and there is a partition on the bottom of the middle of the tank that divides a sand and gravel bottom. I even constructed a "PVC cave" for it and placed it on the sand side, however the mantis has constructed it's own burrow on the gravel side. It has seemed to take a liking to the new home as it acts very stress free and has not bothered any of it's tank mates at all. I have not witnessed it act aggressively towards any fish, hermits, or snails. In fact, after 2 full days of it i got worried of it not eating and tried feeding it a piece of frozen shrimp which it very gladly took and consumed.

After having this mantis for a week i tried to see if i could get an act of aggression, and put in a freshwater crayfish that was about 2/3 the size of the peacock mantis. This crayfish oddly enough dove directly to the opening of the mantis's front burrow opening. SHOWDOWN!!! or so i thought. The mantis immediately took a defensive position by his burrow, and the crayfish proceeded to walk right by, and into the mantis's burrow. I was baffled. I had no idea what to think. This crayfish stayed in the burrow for about 15 minutes with the mantis in it as well. The crayfish finally exited through the rear and walked around the nearby tank, entering and exiting the burrow as he pleased over the course of 2 hours, not seeming stressed at all. I then took the crayfish out and put him back in a proper freshwater tank where he will live, having a very different fate than I had thought.

My question for you all is, can you explain my mantis shrimp's very non-aggressive behavior?

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is fooling you. So you'll buy an expensive beautiful lunch. I mean fish. Oops, must have been a Freudian slip. I don't know really, I've never had one of these shrimp. But if I did, I think it would be a species only tank.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, soon your tank will be snail and hermit free, its a guarantee!
Only reason it doesn't do anything to the crayfish because it's just finished molting and it doesn't have any power yet, its can only do some bluff moves to scare off others.

OP
OP
Shabalaba

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had one of these shrimp. But if I did, I think it would be a species only tank.

Thats what i came in expecting. I figured i would just give him plenty of food options to see what he liked but he has yet to show me haha

No worries, soon your tank will be snail and hermit free, its a guarantee!
Only reason it doesn't do anything to the crayfish because it's just finished molting and it doesn't have any power yet, its can only do some bluff moves to scare off others.

How sure are you that its because he/she has recently molted?

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what i came in expecting. I figured i would just give him plenty of food options to see what he liked but he has yet to show me haha

How sure are you that its because he/she has recently molted?
Because I kept one for many years :) It don't eat and can't do anything before/after molt, when its regain its power it will wipe out anything that moves and has shell on it, your fishes will be fine since it's not a spear mantis.
Note:
Be sure your tank is low light setup, it doesn't like bright lit tank and bright light will damage it exo shell and kill it.

Last edited:

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be about to molt. If it disappears for a while don't go digging for it. Leave it alone leave it as peaceful as possible.

OP
OP
Shabalaba

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I kept one for many years :) It don't eat and can't do anything after molt, when its regain its power it will wipe out anything that moves and has shell on it, your fishes will be fine since it's not a spear mantis.
Note:
Be sure your tank is low light setup, it doesn't like bright lit tank and bright light will damage it exo shell and kill it.
well thank you for the info!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you have a 100 gallon set up for it. So many people try to stick a O. scyllarus in a 20 long or so. Start a build thread in the mantis forum so we can see your tank and progress.

OP
OP
Shabalaba

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you have a 100 gallon set up for it. So many people try to stick a O. scyllarus in a 20 long or so. Start a build thread in the mantis forum so we can see your tank and progress.
Yea it seems like such a large animal for that size of a tank. I got my 120 reef tank setup and wanted this 100 gallon to be aggressive. Thought the mantis was pretty dang cool so here I am :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back