New Peacock

motocross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's in a 40gal breeder with a few chromis, snails, and crabs.

Is anyone pre soaking the food in garlic supplements? Or any supplements for that matter?

20211025_161217.jpg
20211025_170021.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, he's a beauty. You certainly can and I don't think it will hurt but is unnecessary. Are you considering it because he is a finicky eater? Generally, they are pretty easy to care for. Hope that is not a glass tank...

OP
OP
M

motocross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Hasn't been finicky and eats well, just didn't want to miss anything. I had one years ago in a glass tank and never had an issue. I think I'll be ok, I gave him a nice 4" sand bed.

nmotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's in a 40gal breeder with a few chromis, snails, and crabs.

Is anyone pre soaking the food in garlic supplements? Or any supplements for that matter?
I’d recommend soaking foods in Selcon, otherwise live food is the best. Feed a variety of foods - krill, clams, crabs, snails…watch the nitrates, try for 5ppm or under. Don’t panic if/when he gets shell rot, just increase feedings and dim your lights. UV sterilizer if you have the budget. A 40B is a great size tank. Glass is too thick to be broken as long as he doesn’t continuously strike one area.

OP
OP
M

motocross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend soaking foods in Selcon, otherwise live food is the best. Feed a variety of foods - krill, clams, crabs, snails…watch the nitrates, try for 5ppm or under. Don’t panic if/when he gets shell rot, just increase feedings and dim your lights. UV sterilizer if you have the budget. A 40B is a great size tank. Glass is too thick to be broken as long as he doesn’t continuously strike one area.
Thanks, appreciate the info. The money is not a problem but I wasn't sure a UV was neccessary. I'll definitely look into it.

Yeah, I don't see him breaking the glass either. One benifit of buying a cheap petco metal stand is I can see underneath his den and can confirm he hasn't dug to the bottom yet.

nmotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, appreciate the info. The money is not a problem but I wasn't sure a UV was neccessary. I'll definitely look into it.

Yeah, I don't see him breaking the glass either. One benifit of buying a cheap petco metal stand is I can see underneath his den and can confirm he hasn't dug to the bottom yet.
You can get by without a UV sterilizer, but they are nice to have in dealing with shell rot. Usually, it’s either that or a bad molt that kills Peacock mantis shrimp. Can’t do anything about molts unfortunately. The best thing though is good water quality. A lot of mantis shrimp tanks suffer from high nitrates bc they are very basic: simple HOB filter, a bit of LR, and not much else. But aside from water changes there has to be nutrient export so either growing macroalgae or a skimmer to reduce dissolved organics is really helpful. Running a skimmer is probably easiest, but I like the look of a planted display tank. Some opt for refugiums in their sump too. Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
M

motocross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrade time. It's overkill for a 40gal breeder but should make it easy to keep the water quality on the high side.

20211107_210438.jpg

OP
OP
M

motocross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started transferring livestock from my nano and added pods today to the fuge. Skimmer is next.

20211122_204536.jpg
20211122_204548.jpg

OP
OP
M

motocross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the little guy a skimmer for Christmas. Water became much clearer within a few hours.

20211211_203354.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back