New Polyps On The Way? Lets Talk Precautionary Measures!

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your new shipment of Zs-n-Ps is on the way, its time to think about what precautionary measures you are going to use prior to introducing it into your system. How are you going to handle the new corals when they arrive. With all the wild collected frags in the hobby that may be headed our way, having some type of precautionary measures in place to prevent the arrival of unwanted pest organisms into our Display Tanks becomes critical. Aiptasia, Algae, Flatworms, and Nudibranchs are only a few of the unwanted pests that we may face.

If you have the ability to do so, some type of quarantine tank and a vigilant waiting period for anything living is a strongly recommended precaution. If however a QT is not an option for you, there are some other precaution measures you can take to minimize the risk of introducing undesirables into your DT.

The following described precautionary measures are not new, nor are they 100 percent fool proof. They have been collected and put together based on the input of many different reefers over the years, and have been used both by myself and by many different hobbiests on many different frags with great success. I'm sure that you also will find them to be both safe and relatively effective. I use these precautionary measures on all new corals, regardless of whether I will be quarantining or not.

The first thing you will need to do is have a number of supplies and some treatments already on hand. I recommend several different sizes of plastic containers from a smaller 1 cup size up to a five gallon bucket. A magnifying glass, some plastic tweezers, a good knife, a pair of side cutters, a turkey baster or pipette, a portable clock of some type, some tubes of Superglue Gel, and a couple of dips; Iodine and Hydrogen Peroxide at least.

As an initial dip on new polyps, I use Lugal's Iodine almost exclusively;
LugalsSolution5April2011.jpg

Once the polyps arrive, the first thing I do is float the bag in the sump with the lights out for 10 to 15 minutes in order to temperature acclimate the polyps. Having the lights out insures that the newly arrived polyps having spent the last day or two inside a dark box are not stressed by suddenly being blasted by light.
FloatinginSump4April2011.jpg

As they float, I gather up my supplies in preperation for giving them a thorough inspection and dip. A Plastic container, magnifying glass, plastic tweezers, turkey baster, iodine, and a trusty knife are all important.
PkgReceivingEquip5April2011.jpg

Don't forget the all important beverage and laptop if you have one, as you may be here for awhile!

Once the polyps are temperature acclimated, I dip some water from the sump into my plastic container and then remove the polyps from their bag.
PhysicalInspectionofFrag5April2011.jpg

I do a quick examination with the magnifying glass will performing a slow count of thirty. If I see any obvious pests or nuisance algae at this point, I remove it, either by hand or with the plastic tweezers. If necessary I scrap the plug or LR with my knife, or remove an entire section using a pair of side cutters.

Suspect material like this would be removed by scrapping the LR with my knife;
SuspectMaterial5April2010.jpg

Non pests like this tubeworm would be left, although they don't usually fair well in the iodine dip;
Hitchhikingtubeworm5April2011.jpg

Once the polyps have fully closed up, and I have finished my inspection/removal of obvious pests, I drop them into the container of tank water.
FragImmersedinTankWater5April2011.jpg

Once they are there, I do a second more thorough inspection with the magnifying glass and remove any additional pests. Nudibrach egg sacks are something I look carefully for at this point. A frag covered in algae like this will take some time to clean up.
AlgaeCoveredfrag5April2011.jpg

After I finish cleaning the frag, I add iodine to the container directly over the polyps. In this case, with a smaller container (about 2 cups of water), I added 8 drops of iodine.
IodineDrops5April2011.jpg

I then either swish the coral around or use the pipette or turkey baster to squirt the iodine all around the polyps and into the nooks and crannies of the LR. I let them sit in the lugals for 10 to 15 minutes.
TurkeyBasterswishing5April2011.jpg

After 10 to 15 minutes, remove the polyps from the iodine solution, dip briefly into a clean container of tank water and swish gently to remove the excess iodine. Adding a large number of frags to a tank all at once without rinsing away excess iodine can cause a large spike in iodine concentration within your tank. If I still feel its warrented, they are placed in a quarantine tank, if not, they go into the Display. I usually hold the polyps briefly directly in front of a powerhead once I immerse them into the tank, just to blow off any remaining solution. Then they are always placed on the bottom of the tank in an area of moderate to high flow. In the main tank, I eliminate all lighting for the first 48 hours so the polyps are acclimating only to the water chemistry. After 48 hours, I turn the lights back on for half the normal duration of my light cycle, and finally on the third day, I return to a normal lighting cycle. If the polyps still look stressed after 24 or 48 hours, I will extend that period of reduced lighting.

If the package arrives with loose floating polyps, some additional steps will be required and if the polyps have certain pests or evidence of disease, than additional dipping in other solutions may be required.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes as in the case of the mini colony I received above, there will be loose polyps in the bag as well. Although I hate gluing polyps directly, these should be gathered up and glued to a frag plug or a piece of LR. Having Superglue gel and some spare frag plugs on hand when receiving a shipment is always a good idea.

Frag plugs of course come in a variety of shapes and forms, these are what I happen to use;
FragDiscs5April2011.jpg

For Superglue, I personally buy mine at the local Dollar store, three tubes for a buck.
DollarStoreSuperGlueGel5April2011.jpg

Gather the loose polyps and hold for a slow count of 30 so they are completely closed up. Dry them off on the base using a piece of paper towel.
TowelDriedpolyp5April2011.jpg

Sometimes you will get lucky, and there will be a small piece of ceramic or LR attached to the bottom of the polyp. If there is, apply your superglue directly to the ceramic or LR and then attach to the frag plug. If not apply a bit of glue to the plug itself and gently but firmly push the polyp into the superglue. Immediately place the frag plug into a container with a solution of iodine and tankwater for 10 to 15 minutes.
Gluedpolyp5April2011.jpg

Then proceed as normal for tank placement.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occassionally, you may receive a colony or frag that is simply so covered in hair or other nuisance algaes that it is impossible to clean it up by hand.
HairAlgaecoverfraginHP5April2011.jpg

When you do, its time for a hydrogen peroxide dip. You'll need another small plastic container, a bottle of standard 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution (available at your local grocery store), and a portable clock of some type. I fill the container about half full of tank water.
TankWaterforHPmix5April2011.jpg

Then finish filling the container with 3% hydrogen peroxide.
HydrogenPeroxidemix5April2011.jpg

Drop your colony or frag into the solution once all the polyps have completely closed up and watch the bubbles appear.
Bubblecoveredcoral5April2011.jpg

Let the frag soak in the hydrogen peroxide solution for about about 4 minutes. Remove the frag from the solution and then I usually place it into a iodine solution for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove, rinse and follow tank placement as normal.
MiscIodineDippingZoasnPalys10June08.jpg

If you've never used these precautionary measures before, you will be amazed at how many invertes appear when you do.
Grossrejectwater5April2011.jpg

Thats all there is too it, nothing difficult, but its amazing how taking a little extra time to follow these steps will greatly improve your only your success, but also your enjoyment within this hobby and with Ps-n-Zs.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow Randy- awesome write-up!!

and much better than my method I used last night: brought corals in around noon, set on kitchen table. Remember a couple hours later, unpacked bags into a dipping container and put a heater in, placed some lugols in. Remembered right before I was going to bed at 3 am and got them placed into the tank. I would not recommend this method :xd:

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow Randy- awesome write-up!!

and much better than my method I used last night: brought corals in around noon, set on kitchen table. Remember a couple hours later, unpacked bags into a dipping container and put a heater in, placed some lugols in. Remembered right before I was going to bed at 3 am and got them placed into the tank. I would not recommend this method :xd:

Thanks Brian. Yeah, I don't think that I would consider recommending that method either. At least they got a good long iodine dip :squigglemouth:.

ctxmonitor

My Reef Creation
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up and a picture is worth a million word.. Thanks for the tips..

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would seriously urge anyone that attempts to use peroxide to research it more in depth.
it isnt a be all and can/will kill alot of zoas and palys. some are very sensitive to the dip and some dont seem to care at all

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend doing a Furan-2 dip after a Lugols dip? Or is do you only use this when you actually see zoapox? Just wondering if it would be too much or not even needed.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does revive work on nudis? I dipped mine and accidently forgot them overnight doh! but the opened up once in the tank

newman24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you bother temp acclimating when you're just going to pull them out of the water and dip them?

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does revive work on nudis? I dipped mine and accidently forgot them overnight doh! but the opened up once in the tank

I've had good success with revive killing adult nudi's - however, just like everything else I've seen, it doesn't do diddly on nudi eggs. And interesting note about the time duration- i've noticed zoa's can handle several hours in revive, and that the revive will actually nuke any algae on the frag in that time frame. Zoa's are REALLY resilient little buggers sometimes, lol

Why would you bother temp acclimating when you're just going to pull them out of the water and dip them?

Not to speak for Randy- but reasons I temp acclimate before dipping-
1- if they're rather on the cold side, a temp acclimate is a slow way of bringing them up to a better temp as opposed to a dip where they get insta-temp changed.
2- if the dip water is of the same temp as the after-temp-acclimating water, then all the better.

newman24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, you're pulling the frags out of water 3-4 times to dip in this and that.

I understand the precautions and think it's great, but I think the temp acclimate in the beginning is useless. if anything, it well stress the frag even more from constant temp changes unless each cup is floating on the aquarium surface.

if it's working for you guys than keep it up.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I understand the precautions and think it's great, but I think the temp acclimate in the beginning is useless. if anything, it well stress the frag even more from constant temp changes unless each cup is floating on the aquarium surface.

I usually float my dip containers in a tub of water with a small heater, or in my aquarium, so yea...

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But the water you're using to do the dips, is tank water. If you float the bag, your dips and your corals (still in the bags) will be the same temperatures.

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

I know this is the Zoa sub-forum, but have you tried H2O2 dip on other corals (LPS, SPS, etc)? I need to dip a Zoa frag tomorrow that's growing a little HA, and wanted to try it on a Symphillia frag that's struggling.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good writeup, but please include some warnings about the palytoxin poisoning. Especially when one of our members got a little bit of it (just resulted in shortness of breath and a headache) by dipping in hydrogen peroxide and breathing it in.

Thanks,
CJ

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for what I think is the best explanation with awesome pictures of z/p acclimation. This should be given to every new reefer... the amount of headaches and heartaches saved would be astronomical.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back