New predator setup

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted in the Predator thread, but didn’t get much attention.

Looking to set up and old 55 gallon predator tank to move my painted angler to (he’s started trying to eat any new that comes into my reef tank).

Definitely wanting to do FOWLR.

Buuuut....was also thinking about doing bare bottom as well. Reason being:

1. I hear they’re easier to maintain
2. I’m not looking to dump (as) much money into this system
3. I’ve been looking at pictures of BB tanks and they’re just starting to grow on me

So just wanted to see everyone’s views on this. Is it not a good idea because of the predator bioload? No so the angler has something to hold onto while walking? Would cycling take longer? Not as long?

Any info would be helpful. TIA

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did a angler on bb so im not sure about how they would move around, but I can comment on the bioload and cycling.

One of the reasons sand is a really popular substrate isn't just because of its looks, its because of the surface area it provides for beneficial bacteria to grow on. It's the same concept as using certain live rock as some have far more surface area than others. For the most part all your beneficial bacteria lives in your filter, substrate, and live rock. If you only housed an angler in a 55 there wouldn't be any problems. However I had a 125 with 2 eels, a puffer, a volitan lion, and a toadfish. And the bioload required me to do water changes every week to a week and a half as my nitrates would skyrocket. So if you do plan on doing a predator 55 gallon with more than the angler just know that most predator fish have a far larger bioload than what most other fish have (generally because of size but also because of diet).

Do you have any pictures of you angler, that'll be pretty cool to see

OP
OP
Brittany Marie

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night he got a hold of my new blue tang...it’s the only fish he’s ever shown any interest in..
F25606BC-BEA8-4B49-86F1-5921319B5422.jpeg
D964A8F8-AB3A-4C76-962E-B3A884DF72DF.jpeg

OP
OP
Brittany Marie

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did a angler on bb so im not sure about how they would move around, but I can comment on the bioload and cycling.

One of the reasons sand is a really popular substrate isn't just because of its looks, its because of the surface area it provides for beneficial bacteria to grow on. It's the same concept as using certain live rock as some have far more surface area than others. For the most part all your beneficial bacteria lives in your filter, substrate, and live rock. If you only housed an angler in a 55 there wouldn't be any problems. However I had a 125 with 2 eels, a puffer, a volitan lion, and a toadfish. And the bioload required me to do water changes every week to a week and a half as my nitrates would skyrocket. So if you do plan on doing a predator 55 gallon with more than the angler just know that most predator fish have a far larger bioload than what most other fish have (generally because of size but also because of diet).

Do you have any pictures of you angler, that'll be pretty cool to see

I plan to have a lot of live rock. I don’t think I want an eel though. Maybe a dwarf lion. Thought more along the lines of different knobby stars, urchins, maybe a Puffer if I find one that’s comfortable in a 55

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210 predator Fowler. I would say it depends on the fish you want. I have an angler and a lionfish, and they are relatively clean eaters. You could go BB with those. If you want to get an eel and puffer, than you would definitely want sand. They are very messy eaters (shredding bits of food everywhere!!). You will appreciate all the life (pods, bristle worms) that live in the sand. You also won't see the food everywhere.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back