New purple tang might have ich, help!

emill08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a purple tang from live aquaria’s divers den and it arrived a week ago. I put it in a QT tank with copper safe and it developed a white dot near its tail that might be ich. Copper is now at 2.00 ppm (checked with Hanna checker) and tang is still eating very well, also started adding metroplex. How long should I keep it in QT at these levels? Is there anything else I should be adding or doing?

Attachments

• IMG_4610.MP4
    7.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's too large to be ich. However, Coppersafe should be testing out at 2.5 ppm for a full dose, you need to get to a full dose ASAP. Too many people think it needs to be raised slowly, and it doesn't. The trouble is, Coppersafe is very safe, but does not control protozoans if it is below full dose. It even has issues stopping severe infections at a full dose - it is a trade off between safety and efficacy.

I wouldn't add Metroplex, it isn't as effective as copper, and the things they treat overlap. I would use Prazipro after 30 days of coppersafe though.

Jay

Upvote 0

srg74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's too large to be ich. However, Coppersafe should be testing out at 2.5 ppm for a full dose, you need to get to a full dose ASAP. Too many people think it needs to be raised slowly, and it doesn't. The trouble is, Coppersafe is very safe, but does not control protozoans if it is below full dose. It even has issues stopping severe infections at a full dose - it is a trade off between safety and efficacy.

I wouldn't add Metroplex, it isn't as effective as copper, and the things they treat overlap. I would use Prazipro after 30 days of coppersafe though.

Jay
Jay, why Coppersafe before Prazipro and not vice versa? Particularly if it is one of the fish you mentioned are more likely to have flukes let’s say. Thanks

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper reduces the potential for issues with ich and velvet. Both of these kill much, much faster than flukes do. I’ve seen too many people go after flukes first, only to lose their fish to velvet.
Some people treat for both issues at the same time, but I don’t like to risk that.
If fish have a severe fluke infestation, I will give them a FW dip first, that buys a lot of time.

Jay

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back