New Quarantine and Biospira, Dr Tims, and Bacteria in a bottle

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Both leopards died today. They looked great this AM. No copper to speak of. Typical leopards. My track record with them is really good so I am surprised. Zero ammonia still everyone else is thriving!

Sounds like a collection/shipping/handling issue, sorry you lost them :(

I recently got a tiny black leopard from LA that was pretty banged up. Mouth damage, torn fins. Luckily he took to ova pretty quickly even with his mouth injury, and is coming around nicely. I've had good luck with them as well, but you just never know what they've gone through by the time they reach your tank...

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate that.
I'm not having very good luck with geoffroyi's right now.
Active and eating one day, dead the next
It’s not uncommon, unfortunately

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a collection/shipping/handling issue, sorry you lost them :(

I recently got a tiny black leopard from LA that was pretty banged up. Mouth damage, torn fins. Luckily he took to ova pretty quickly even with his mouth injury, and is coming around nicely. I've had good luck with them as well, but you just never know what they've gone through by the time they reach your tank...

Yup, you never know!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: my fish have obvious velvet. I saw the “pre velvet” damage two days ago on the PBT (hard to describe but not like black ich) where small black dots and discoloration occur and now the white dusting is on the Achilles Tang.

Good news is I’ve slowly been increasing copper since the first evidence so velvet doesn’t stand a chance. But it goes to show you how serious the need for quarantining is.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online, @NYAquatic is my preferred vendor.

Divers den too when things are on big sale

Just out of curiosity... Why did you decide to ghost feed over using Dr Tims' Ammonia solution? That way you don't have decaying solids, just ammonia.

I ask because I'm about to start cycling a 180 also.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity... Why did you decide to ghost feed over using Dr Tims' Ammonia solution? That way you don't have decaying solids, just ammonia.

I ask because I'm about to start cycling a 180 also.
In truth — because I had no idea that existed! :D

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In truth — because I had no idea that existed! :D

Here it is Dr Tims Ammonium Chloride. Says it works great with Dr Tims One & Only Bacteria, which is what I assume you used.

"Ammonium Chloride can be used to simulate organic matter that would naturally break down into ammonia. By adding the reagent grade ammonium chloride solution to your tank instead of older methods like using a cheap fish, or tossing in nutrient rich fish food, you do not have any of the byproduct that decaying fish food and fish waste will produce. Dr.Tim's formula is different from the traditional ammonium chloride solutions you would find at your local grocery or hardware store. Most ammonia solutions will contain unwanted additives to help with scent, and coloration, Dr.Tim's additive uses pure ammonia."

Using the ammonium chloride solution, in conjunction with simple ammonia and nitrite test kits, you have complete control of your tanks cycling process without adding any extra nutrients or sky high ammonia concentrations.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good @4FordFamily. U guys would appreciate this so much more in person! Can't wait to get my 180 built! Always nice having a good friend in the hobby who is an expert extend the helping hand getting going!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good @4FordFamily. U guys would appreciate this so much more in person! Can't wait to get my 180 built! Always nice having a good friend in the hobby who is an expert extend the helping hand getting going!
I’m just glad to have someone local that’s going to be as much of a lunatic about this hobby as me!

We can set up some Red Sea reefers together broseph!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update: the radiant wrasse succumbed it had an infection that it couldn’t kick.

Everyone else is alive, although I’m losing the battle with the regal getting it to eat.

Velvet is cleared up (at least, no spots and everyone is doing better). Cupramine is doing its job. At this point, every other Melanarus I’ve had would be long gone. The radiant made it until the infection worsened too badly.

I’m nearly convinced that ionic copper (cupramine) is better for wrasse. My next batch and @HotRockTarBaby’s batch following that will all have wrasse and I’ll try cupramine.

The two leopards died before cupramine was added. Interesting to note though I’ve had tons of leopards do fine in both types of copper. Kuiteri and Choates didn’t make it though coppersafe. I didn’t try either in cupramine.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back