New radions and hair algae

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank up and running for about 5 years. Never had any nuisance algae. I moved the tank 2 years ago and the nitrates skyrocketed off the charts! I started vinegar dosing, doing major water changes frequently and now the nitrates read 0-5. Phosphates are reading 0.02. I just added a new set of radion xr15s to the tank a little over a month ago and now I’m seeing hair algae growth on the rocks :eek:. They are currently running at 60% radiant setting. Could this be the problem? Everything I’ve been reading says that algae is nutrient related but the nutrients are 100% better now than they were before the new lights and I never had this problem before.
I have multiple red leg hermits, a couple blue leg hermits, 10 or so nassirus snails, 4 peppermint shrimp, a fire shrimp, a long spine urchin, and two tuxedo urchins. Will they eventually get rid of it or will the algae keep getting worse? I also change 5- 10 gallons of water weekly. It’s a 72 with a 20 gallon sump. I dosed vibrant last Friday and the algae appears to be getting worse instead of better...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What % are your red and green. These will contribute to algae growth
Honestly I’m not 100% sure. I’m getting ready to head to work but will check as soon as I get home. Everything is preset in the radiant setting and I left it there. What would you recommend dialing it down to? Maybe turn them both down to 0 and see if it stops and then turn them up just a little over time. Sorry, I’m completely new to the lights and corals.

Makomek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as I have Radion xr30 g3 over my tank with sps AB+ setting and having issue with hair algae. Last week I took a piece of live rock with a lot of hair algae on it a put it in my fuge with red/blue led light for cheato and within 5 days all the hair algae is gone so I put it back to DT and within 2 i'm starting to see algae coming back, I'm puzzle.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as I have Radion xr30 g3 over my tank with sps AB+ setting and having issue with hair algae. Last week I took a piece of live rock with a lot of hair algae on it a put it in my fuge with red/blue led light for cheato and within 5 days all the hair algae is gone so I put it back to DT and within 2 i'm starting to see algae coming back, I'm puzzle.
Yeah, it sucks. Just got awesome lights and gyres, parameters in check, now algae! I just turned the red and green all the way down. We will see if this helps.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower red and green will help
Thank you for the quick response! I turned the reds and greens both down to zero. They were set low comparatively to the other colors but the red was at 45% part of the day and the green was set to ramp up to around 25% at its peak.
With them set at zero, the clean up crew, and the vibrant hopefully the algae will disappear! It isn’t terrible yet but I can see it actually getting worse everyday! I have the aquarium aquascaped the way I want it and it would suck to have to start taking rock out and scrubbing it ;Facepalm

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your problems start when you started running the radions also or have they been up and running a while?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back