New Red Sea 170 g2 stand warping

c0kefree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure if this is an “emergency” per se…feel free correct me.

So i just bought my 170g2 approx 3 weeks ago.
Stand came pre built by Sea Level Aquariums in New jersey.

i installed cabinet lighting yesterday, and noticed as i sat in my chair, the center is deflecting down about 1mm.
the cross beam has a gap of about 1mm before touching the top, so it has allowed it to sag.

i emailed red sea for their advice, but it’s friday… so i probably will not get a response.

Is this as big of a nightmare as I think it is, or is this something that the tank can handle

0489A3E3-F86C-4B39-9FA0-3AFCAC4D9131.jpeg 82E61058-70D2-498F-9D06-C87E3DF91226.jpeg

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t had stand deflection before… tank deflection yes. But never on the bottom panel either??? The seams are holding up okay? (No bubbles?)

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is you want the 4 corners supported, it looks like they are sitting off of the stand though in this picture.

At the very least, a warranty concern on the stand and may be much more of a concern cause I’ve seen several people reporting leaks in their Red Sea tanks

Is it properly leveled?

And @RocketEngineer might have good input

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
given the recent red sea break posts I must think this is a serious issue requiring redo.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you level the tank & stand completely - side to side as well as corner to corner? The feet should be adjustable, but hard with the weight of water in it - if only 3 weeks contact Red Sea for further support is the best bet

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see the deflection in the images, but the first thing I'd check is if all the screws/hardware inside the cabinet are tight (you may need to remove some of the round black covers). @C4ctus99, Red Sea tanks have a "floating" feature on the front - so as long as the back and sides of the tank are flush with the cabinet it's positioned correctly.

Agree with @ScubaFish802 - check to ensure the tank is levelled (front to back, side to side).

The G2 is their redesigned tank so it features a marine plywood-laminated stand (not MDF), the tanks are reinforced and have thicker glass as well.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
given the recent red sea break posts I must think this is a serious issue requiring redo.
There was one other post that mentioned a side seal I have seen on the G2s is there something else I've missed? Or is this just general 'red sea' scare?

OP
OP
c0kefree

c0kefree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank seams are absolutely perfect, and yes the tank is level side to side, front to back. I spent probably half an hour on set up day leveling it haha. I know rimless tanks are fragile, i replaced my perfectly good reefer nano, with the g2, because they were supposed to be “stronger”

You can see it by the light shining through above the door and below the tank

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass is not as flexible as wood, above mentions 4 corners not correctly situated on your stand, , unsure if "new aquarium" (from your pictures)
Next water change try to adjust aquriam to fit stand

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G2

OP
OP
c0kefree

c0kefree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s deflecting down less than a credit card’s thickness. About 3/4 the thickness of a creditcard.

0CF4E4C4-07B4-418F-BACA-AF854DF44980.jpeg

OP
OP
c0kefree

c0kefree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass is not as flexible as wood, above mentions 4 corners not correctly situated on your stand, , unsure if "new aquarium" (from your pictures)
Next water change try to adjust aquriam to fit stand
This is a feature of red sea tanks, the floating front glass panel

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@C4ctus99, Red Sea tanks have a "floating" feature on the front - so as long as the back and sides of the tank are flush with the cabinet it's positioned correctly.
Gotcha, just concerned cause the tank itself seems bigger than the stand, I.e. the corners are not fully supported hence my concern

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand came pre-assembled, so all you can do at this point (short of draining the tank, which I don't think is warranted) is to check that the hardware inside the tank is all tight. Look for some black plastic 'caps' that will cover any screws/hardware (It's possible something may have come loose in shipping although I really doubt it).

I don't think you really need to worry about that 'deflection'. It simply looks like that crossbeam in the front may not be 100% flat in a few spots (which is why the light could be shining through). It's just there to provide support for the top piece of plywood - which seems to be completely flat.

If the tank is level on all sides then that's half the battle right there. The 170 is only 33 gallons in the display and there is quite a bit of reinforcement in the cabinet. I had a pair of 25-gallon lagoon tanks on a much wider 4' MDF cabinet with no center reinforcement - and then did just fine.

OP
OP
c0kefree

c0kefree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand came pre-assembled, so all you can do at this point (short of draining the tank, which I don't think is warranted) is to check that the hardware inside the tank is all tight. Look for some black plastic 'caps' that will cover any screws/hardware (It's possible something may have come loose in shipping although I really doubt it).

I don't think you really need to worry about that 'deflection'. It simply looks like that crossbeam in the front may not be 100% flat in a few spots (which is why the light could be shining through). It's just there to provide support for the top piece of plywood - which seems to be completely flat.

If the tank is level on all sides then that's half the battle right there. The 170 is only 33 gallons in the display and there is quite a bit of reinforcement in the cabinet. I had a pair of 25-gallon lagoon tanks on a much wider 4' MDF cabinet with no center reinforcement - and then did just fine.
You may be right, you have me questioning my judgement. It certainly looks like it’s warping down when i sight it down the side…. But it might be an optical illusion from that board not being flat.

i physically cannot measure a difference reliably.

all these threads about tanks failing have me ultra paranoid apparently.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd want to redo it due to the amount of front panel split seam posts on that exact tank

It must not remain as is

OP
OP
c0kefree

c0kefree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd want to redo it due to the amount of front panel split seam posts on that exact tank

It must not remain as is
Can you point me to examples of 170 g2’s? I tried searching pretty dang hard for one before
I purchased the tank… and couldn’t find any minus a g1, but then again my searching skills do leave something to be desired lol

I’m aware of it happening on 250s and above, and not g2’s, which is why I was originally comfortable with the 170 g2.
Ugh. Quite a bit of money and work… ridiculous if this is not just a figment of my paranoid imagination lol.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is an uptick lately

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back