New Red Sea Reefer 250 - Suggestions

ant.anestis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all!

I am relatively new to the hobby (2 years) and I have an 8 gallon nano with a pair of clowns and quite a few corals (zoanthids, xenia, leather toadstool, eyphilia, and red mushrooms). Everything has been going well with regular water changes (aprox. 2 gallons per 10 days - no skimmer of course in this size) and my corals are growing like mad - no losses apart from a ricordea yuma and a cleaner shrimp in these 2 years. That, and the need of a new home for my occelaris clowns, are the reasons I bought a Red Sea Reefer 250.
And now, I am full of questions...
First of all, I ordered a 4000 lph Jebao DCP pump and an OW-25 Wavemaker (Jebao also - probably I'll add a second one sometime in the near future), a 5-stage reverse osmosis system, approximately 40 pounds of Red Sea Reef base (I want a substrate no more than 1 - 1.5 inches) and I also bought 20 pounds of veeeery porous dead rock.
First of all, I know that I "should have" maybe 3 times this amount of rock but I decided to make the aquascape that I liked and gradually, add more rock (possibly in the sump?).
As far as it concerns the skimmer, I m still researching, with Nyos Quantum 120 and Red Sea RSK-300 being my main options. Furthermore, I consider dosing but I am not sure yet if I have to; I guess my corals will "tell me" what to do...
I don't know what to do though as far as it concerns my salt. I have been using Aquarium Munster Reef Salt but I was thinking of changing to the Red Sea salt. I intend to keep both SPS, LPS and soft corals.
Any advice would be much appreciated! Honestly, I am quite at a loss here. I feel like I have to take care a ton of extra things (testing the water for example - apart from the nitrates test I have been doing for the first six months or so, I haven't tested for anything else).
Thank you all once again for your help.

Antonis

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#WelcometoR2R !
If your new salt mixes up at different parameters just acclimate them to the new water. Your in for a wonderful adventure enjoy your new build!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! There are a wide variety of opinions on salt. When and if you decide to make a change you can reasonably just starting using the new salt in your water changes.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back