Agree - great build! Love it.

I'm a ways behind you with my XXL750 - started it in early May:

Red Sea XXL750 Deluxe:
- 4 RedSea RS90 lights and brackets
- 1 Sicce Syncra SDC 9.0 return pump
- RedSea 900 Skimmer
- 3 300 watt heaters
- Kessil H380
- 1 MP60 wQD (plan to add another once tank is ready for corals)
- Neptune APEX with 2 Neptune DOS
- Cyberpower CP1500 (900W) UPS Mini-Tower

The H380 definitely has the coverage for the XXL sump. I'm planning to try the Triton Method so I've got the sump divider placed for a large refugium (Chaeto and Red Ogo in there).

I also set up a Red Sea Max Nano as a QT (found it used online for $450 and it's in perfect condition). It's pretty stock but I am adding an Autoaqua Smart AWC. I have a pair of clowns in there. They're ready to go into the display tank but I'm having an issue balancing water flow with the Sicce. It seems no matter where I set the flow adjuster I either get a ton of flow (and an awful gurgling) or the return water level goes too low and I get bubbles blasted into the display. The only way I've gotten the flow to balance is to turn the Sicce down to 25%. I also find the Sicce very noisy - did you have any of these issues?

Image.jpeg

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree - great build! Love it.

I'm a ways behind you with my XXL750 - started it in early May:

Red Sea XXL750 Deluxe:
- 4 RedSea RS90 lights and brackets
- 1 Sicce Syncra SDC 9.0 return pump
- RedSea 900 Skimmer
- 3 300 watt heaters
- Kessil H380
- 1 MP60 wQD (plan to add another once tank is ready for corals)
- Neptune APEX with 2 Neptune DOS
- Cyberpower CP1500 (900W) UPS Mini-Tower

The H380 definitely has the coverage for the XXL sump. I'm planning to try the Triton Method so I've got the sump divider placed for a large refugium (Chaeto and Red Ogo in there).

I also set up a Red Sea Max Nano as a QT (found it used online for $450 and it's in perfect condition). It's pretty stock but I am adding an Autoaqua Smart AWC. I have a pair of clowns in there. They're ready to go into the display tank but I'm having an issue balancing water flow with the Sicce. It seems no matter where I set the flow adjuster I either get a ton of flow (and an awful gurgling) or the return water level goes too low and I get bubbles blasted into the display. The only way I've gotten the flow to balance is to turn the Sicce down to 25%. I also find the Sicce very noisy - did you have any of these issues?

Image.jpeg
That’s awesome! The Sicce is running at 95% on my tank. Also have my ReefWave running at 60-80 percent throughout the day. Lots of flow directed more to the SPS and a little to the bottom to help clear detritus.

Had issues with the gurgling at first. Had to adjust the burp valve quite a bit to make sure it was tuned right. Seemed to have issues more early on.

Im using a revised Triton method (Half of the sump for refugium and a large slimmer). But I’m intrigued to how the h380 works for you. I’ve got the smaller pop can 160 and it’s doing alright. Got a sump full of Macro. I’ve also only changed the water 3 times this year. Nutrients haven’t been a major issues and I feed heavy (reef roids, aminos and 2/3 cubes of Mysis/Spirulina.

Dosing was a pain at first because I was having to test every day since many of my frags were added over time. But I’ve got it down now. Seems like I go through a lot of Alk. A little bit of CA. Almost no Mg. And I put in the recommended Iodine/Potassium etc.

Anyway, keep us all in the loop with your tank. Do you have a build thread yet?

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! The Sicce is running at 95% on my tank. Also have my ReefWave running at 60-80 percent throughout the day. Lots of flow directed more to the SPS and a little to the bottom to help clear detritus.

Had issues with the gurgling at first. Had to adjust the burp valve quite a bit to make sure it was tuned right. Seemed to have issues more early on.

Im using a revised Triton method (Half of the sump for refugium and a large slimmer). But I’m intrigued to how the h380 works for you. I’ve got the smaller pop can 160 and it’s doing alright. Got a sump full of Macro. I’ve also only changed the water 3 times this year. Nutrients haven’t been a major issues and I feed heavy (reef roids, aminos and 2/3 cubes of Mysis/Spirulina.

Dosing was a pain at first because I was having to test every day since many of my frags were added over time. But I’ve got it down now. Seems like I go through a lot of Alk. A little bit of CA. Almost no Mg. And I put in the recommended Iodine/Potassium etc.

Anyway, keep us all in the loop with your tank. Do you have a build thread yet?
Thanks - really useful info! I lowered the gate into the return and it seems to have helped. I've not lost all running water noise yet but the gurgling has gone :) Going to incrementally increase pump output and hope I can keep it balanced. Greaat to know you are having success :)

The H380 seems to work great, although I've only had it running a couple of weeks. The only issue I have is that I bought the gooseneck from Kessil and it doesn't really flex enough to point directly down given the height of the cabinet, so there's a small area that doesn't seem particularly well lit (I moved a bunch of bioblocks there to keep the chaeto and red ogo in the most intense light. It's certainly bright - illuminates the room even with the cabinet doors closed!

I'll start a build thread and post photos of the kessil set up.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The H380 seems to work great, although I've only had it running a couple of weeks. The only issue I have is that I bought the gooseneck from Kessil and it doesn't really flex enough to point directly down given the height of the cabinet, so there's a small area that doesn't seem particularly well lit (I moved a bunch of bioblocks there to keep the chaeto and red ogo in the most intense light. It's certainly bright - illuminates the room even with the cabinet doors closed!

I'll start a build thread and post photos of the kessil set up.

Hey nice build! Looking great so far.

We have an H160 for our refugium and I was going to use a gooseneck as well but I couldn't get it mounted in a clean way so I put it aside for future use. Wound up buying a replacement cabinet door opener (the grey push piece) and adapted it to be a mount for a metal bracket. Screwed it in to the inside of the front fascia so that there's no visible drill holes and then mounted a metal bracket to that to hang my light directly over the fuge. If this idea inspires you I'd be happy to share a picture of how it turned out. It looks pretty minimalistic and allows me to centre the light exactly where I wanted it.

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey nice build! Looking great so far.

We have an H160 for our refugium and I was going to use a gooseneck as well but I couldn't get it mounted in a clean way so I put it aside for future use. Wound up buying a replacement cabinet door opener (the grey push piece) and adapted it to be a mount for a metal bracket. Screwed it in to the inside of the front fascia so that there's no visible drill holes and then mounted a metal bracket to that to hang my light directly over the fuge. If this idea inspires you I'd be happy to share a picture of how it turned out. It looks pretty minimalistic and allows me to centre the light exactly where I wanted it.
That would be great - thanks!

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after having to pull all of my rock work apart to catch a fish, I decided that the tank was due for a makeover. I wasn’t overly happy with the old scape since it had too much unused space in the back. I wanted to provide more open swimming in the front and have more flat areas for new coral. Plus, I was able to add a number of new caves for the fish.

Without further ado, here is the new aquascape.

677A02A1-B516-4278-A886-D74BA2D37B20.jpeg

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have 5 Fairy/Flasher Wrasses in QT.

McCoskers
Exquisite
Orange back
Soloris
Blue and Red

All have been through 14 days of Copper Power and were transferred to clean tank. Went through 1st treatment of PraziPro. All are eating well (frozen Mysis and Rod’s Food). Will be put in DT once I get my new DIY lid kit.

Here are some pictures:

1069DB3C-6F30-40E5-93C2-EB234AB2B433.jpeg D1FEF909-FC35-4D58-B296-2421C4CA6258.jpeg 6D9CBDC0-A0CF-451B-B89C-BB3C44C20D52.jpeg 5103AD2C-1E4E-442E-9C1E-D68DC7B8BFFE.jpeg 4F08B533-39A7-4CC6-A87C-8568FC4E8050.jpeg

lennywee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after having to pull all of my rock work apart to catch a fish, I decided that the tank was due for a makeover. I wasn’t overly happy with the old scape since it had too much unused space in the back. I wanted to provide more open swimming in the front and have more flat areas for new coral. Plus, I was able to add a number of new caves for the fish.

Without further ado, here is the new aquascape.

677A02A1-B516-4278-A886-D74BA2D37B20.jpeg
amazing! kinda wishing I had a 750 instead 350 now! lol

brian4274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you handling the massive amount of evaporation? About how many gallons per day would you say your loosing? I've read anywhere from 1-3 gallons a day.

OP
OP
Rrwilson1223

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you handling the massive amount of evaporation? About how many gallons per day would you say your loosing? I've read anywhere from 1-3 gallons a day.

You are absolutely correct about the evaporation. Especially if you run a lot of flow. I bought a 15 gallon plastic container similar to the one in this link. It’s located in the bottom right of my cabinet. I’m using the Tunze ATO. Only need to refill the tank every 7/8 days or so.

5658BC8A-1326-4F50-ABBF-1D73F55CA2A1.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back