JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1966.JPG
IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

Finally making some progress on this thing and hope, fingers crossed, to have it cycling by this weekend! For a quick background, after taking a 10+ year break from the hobby, I set up an Elos System 70 seven months ago. It has progressed into an lps tank with a focus on acans and chalice corals. My never ending inability to be happy with what I already have, has led me to this point :)

So far I have:

Red Sea Reefer XXL 750
2 x Vortech MP40QDs
Split return with 2 Vivid Random Flow Generators
REEF Octopus 220 INT Elite Skimmer
Varios 8 return Pump
2 x Finnex Ti heaters w/ seperate digital controller
2 x Orphek Atlantik V4 leds
GHL Doser 2.1 (plan on 2 part)
Pacific Sun Sentry ATO (going to try Red Sea one that came with the tank 1st)

I am planning on setting this up as an sps dominated tank-with a minimal aquascape leaving room for large colonies to grow out.

I am sure that there is more that I am leaving out but I will add as this progresses. The lfs is coming to place the tank on the stand this weekend and so far I have the lights mounted on some rails that I built using t-channel alumninum.

IMG_1969.JPG

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those light mounts look like they were manufactured by some name-brand company, good job for sure!

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those light mounts look like they were manufactured by some name-brand company, good job for sure!

Thanks! I was unsure how to hang them and the 2 story ceiling height in that room ruled out the included cable kit. Pretty happy with how they turned out. Getting everything level was a major PIA!

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really slick. Great job on the light mounts, they look perfect (too bad they were white annodized, then you wouldnt even see them!)

You "might" have to add a piece or two of locline to that return, as the RFG nozzles can suck in air if they arent submerged deep enough and you will have bubbles all over your tank. I have about 3 pieces of line connected to my split, but thats more because I want to have the return flow directed more towards the back of the tank.

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really slick. Great job on the light mounts, they look perfect (too bad they were white annodized, then you wouldnt even see them!)

You "might" have to add a piece or two of locline to that return, as the RFG nozzles can suck in air if they arent submerged deep enough and you will have bubbles all over your tank. I have about 3 pieces of line connected to my split, but thats more because I want to have the return flow directed more towards the back of the tank.

Thanks! I thought of painting them white but figured that once the tank is placed on the stand, they won't be as noticeable. The lights should sit 12" above the rim of the tank. Thanks for the heads up regarding the nozzles. Luckily I also ordered the step down adapter that I can use to lower them in the water column which I will use if they pull air.

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I snapped in the piece that lowers the return nozzle. In case anyone else needs to do the same, you can buy these at vivid creative aquatics as well.

IMG_1976.JPG
IMG_1973.JPG
Jon,

Can you provide the part numbers you ordered? I have the same tank and don't want to risk a guess. Thx.

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And.....the tank is cycling. One hundred lbs of Totoka live rock and 3 bags of of Tropic Eden sand (1 Mesoflakes and 2 Reeflakes).

I ran into an issue placing the Vortechs... Because of where this tank sits in the house, the sides are on full display. Running the Vortechs on the sides was just too unsightly. I ran out and bought 2 more (one on order) to try a setup with 4 Vortechs on the back glass. I'm wondering if if I made a mistake in choosing these over one of the gyre style pumps. I'll definitely have to run them at a much lower speed this way but my fingers are crossed that I'll get adequate flow with this configuration. Is anyone here running their Vortechs this way?

IMG_1996.JPG
IMG_1995.JPG

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking setup!!! I'm about to order this same tank and I'm planning out my build. Working on which lights I want to use. By the way, the rock work is bad butt.

Not sure if I missed it in your build but where did the light mounts come from? I'm thinking about those same lights just not sure how I would mount them.

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking setup!!! I'm about to order this same tank and I'm planning out my build. Working on which lights I want to use. By the way, the rock work is bad ***.

Not sure if I missed it in your build but where did the light mounts come from? I'm thinking about those same lights just not sure how I would mount them.

Thanks! I built the light mounts from parts from 8020.net. I had them cut everything so all I had to do was put it together. I can post the part list from home later if you would like. I mounted mine to the wall. I swapped out 4 bolts per light and replaced them with longer bolts with a t-slot hanger attached. You can slide the lights back and forth this way but need to use different length bolts to change the height.

IMG_1956.JPG
IMG_1950.JPG
IMG_1955.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hooked up a refugium light that I built from parts from one of my other hobbies (hydroponics). I have no idea if it will grow macro algae but we will see! It is enough light to grow vegetables indoors so I don't see why not. It is a Cree cxa 3590 COB led driven at 50 watts. It's on a dimmable ballast so I can adjust it if it's too much or too little.

IMG_2042.JPG
IMG_2043.JPG
IMG_2044.JPG
IMG_2041.JPG

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2071.JPG

Installed a low shelf to hide all of the power supplies and wiring. I also hooked up the GHL Doser 2.1 to get my 2 part dosing all set up. I went with the 4 head model as I plan on buying the GHL Alkalinty Director as soon as it is available. The tank has fully cycled and clean up crew has been added.

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first fish have been added!

-Blonde Naso tang
-Emperor Angel
-Regal Tang (a little larger than a quarter)

Looking for a Copperband butterfly and a Yellow Longnose butterfly to add to the mix.

My wife has always wanted a emperor angel and a Naso tang and I let her get her way (for once) with the caveat- once they get too big for this tank, I will gladly get a much larger system or will have to find them a new home! She is on board!

Had a near disaster when adding the Regal Tang in that he decided to seek refuge on top of an mp-40 on full blast reef crest mode! I watched him get sucked in and spit out and I was sure that it would be dead. To my disbelief, he was unscathed. Needless to say, I put the foam covers on the Vortechs and reduced the flow and will keep them like this until he is bigger.

4E465BBD-3D0B-4EAA-8FD0-01A47C0F802E.jpeg

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Artfully Acrylic ClearView lid today. I have been paranoid about my solorensis wrasse jumping so I am really glad it came (ordered in August). The lid fits great and is totally worth the wait. You can barely see it unless you look at the tank from above

D5C1D1DF-13A9-428C-B41E-4A246C63D2AC.jpeg
F9CCFD0F-B5D7-431C-AB6B-37D2C8390F06.jpeg
6808F477-FD6B-4DB0-AFEE-12948DBEA45F.jpeg

Last edited:

Newt0075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Artfully Acrylic ClearView lid today. I have been paranoid about my solorensis wrasse jumping so I am really glad it came (ordered in August). The lid fits great and is totally worth the wait. You can barely see it unless you look at the tank from above

D5C1D1DF-13A9-428C-B41E-4A246C63D2AC.jpeg
F9CCFD0F-B5D7-431C-AB6B-37D2C8390F06.jpeg
6808F477-FD6B-4DB0-AFEE-12948DBEA45F.jpeg
Wow! That lid looks so good! So much better than you usal DIY.... can I ask how much something like this cost? Was it a special order or do they sell these specifically for the Red Sea Reefers?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hooked up a refugium light that I built from parts from one of my other hobbies (hydroponics). I have no idea if it will grow macro algae but we will see! It is enough light to grow vegetables indoors so I don't see why not. It is a Cree cxa 3590 COB led driven at 50 watts. It's on a dimmable ballast so I can adjust it if it's too much or too little.

IMG_2042.JPG
IMG_2043.JPG
IMG_2044.JPG
IMG_2041.JPG

I'm sure it will grow chaeto when there are some nutrients for it to feed on but I would expect it to die off for now. Chaeto loves and needs lots of nutrients and with a very bright light and high flow it can grow fast enough to remove all NO3 and PO4. I harvest 5 gallons every two weeks and dose PNO3 and Seachem Phosphorus

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back