New Red Sea S-850/S-1000 - Any issues? Opinions?

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR - Are there issues with the new Red Sea S 850/1000 systems that would preclude you from buying one?

I'm planning to buy a larger tank than my current 90 (48x18x25). I have decided to get something in the 6ft 180 gal size class.

I was seriously considering the Innovative Marine 200 INT because it looks to be very well made and I like the APS stand, but there were several issues that have me considering other options. 1) The INT 200 is 30" deep which will stick into the room/walkway a little farther than I would prefer. 2) The INT has 'coast to coast' internal overflow weir which has some advantages, but it seems like it would become a large detritus trap (The 200 EXT adds an additional 3.5" to the depth so it would project even farther into the room) 3) The Innovative Marine 200s are currently scheduling at least 3-4 months out.

My LFS sells Innovative, Red Sea, and Prostar.

The Prostar 230 has some nice 'Pros': Perfect dimensions (72x26x24), and an aluminum stand, however Prostar is no longer the great bargain $ that they were a year or 2 ago. My LFS says $3900 for a Prostar 230 system (tank/stand/sump). The other slight 'Con' with the Prostar is that I would prefer euro bracing with the large size of the tank (The Innovative 200s are Euro braced).

As I pondered the Innovative vs the Prostar debate in the LFS I noticed they had a Red Sea S-1000 (setup/wet) and an S-850 (dry). And as I looked at the S-850 more closely it looks like it hits all my requirements. However the Red Sea S-850 is about $1200-$1500 more than the Innovative/Prostar. I went home and did some research on the S-850/S-1000 and it seems like Red Sea has addressed the issues they had been having with their larger tanks.

And then last weekend the LFS had knocked 10% off on the price of the S-850.

Btw, I have 'built' around 12 tanks on Glass Cages and I have 2 issues: 1) I have paralysis by analysis and I can't decide exactly what configuration/options I would want, and 2) They don't offer a stand option I like.

So.... Are there any issues I should be aware of with the Red Sea S-850/1000?

Thanks.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer 750XXL v3, but I'd upgrade to a S-850/1000 in a heartbeat. Aluminum stand, improved gate valve, split sump, glass rim, etc. Given the choices you listed, it would either be the Red Sea or a similarly-sized Cade model (we can't get Cade in Canada, otherwise I'd have one - even though they're more $$).

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there issues with the new Red Sea S 850/1000 systems
Pass, Your stuck with all there sump crap and skimmer and plumbing. That can all be built better and sumps that small on a 210 would suck and be a ton of work. I run a 210g display and I would only run a basement or garage sump with a tank that large. I love my rubbermaid 100G stock tank. If you plan on a tank that size invest in a fish room, garage or basement sump

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I know Red Sea has made some **** tanks in the past but these new Red Sea S 850/1000s look absolutely stunning!

I love the fortified framed glass that doesn't stop you from having mounting arms on the back glass, the new high precision valve (Still think it's a ball valve tho?), aluminum stands have become super popular which I love and the sliding control panel!

I think they've actually taken in customers input/have more competition now, they've really impressed me with these new REEFER-S models.

if I could I would 100% get one.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pass, Your stuck with all there sump crap and skimmer and plumbing. That can all be built better and sumps that small on a 210 would suck and be a ton of work. I run a 210g display and I would only run a basement or garage sump with a tank that large. I love my rubbermaid 100G stock tank. If you plan on a tank that size invest in a fish room, garage or basement sump
If you don’t like the sump or plumbing you can replace it - this isn’t anything new or exclusive to Red Sea (Cade would be one of the few exceptions where the sump and plumbing are optimal). As for crap skimmer, last I checked you didn’t have to purchase your Red Sea tank with any Red Sea equipment, ie: skimmer, gyres, LEDs or doser.

Many of us can and do run a perfectly fine stock Red Sea tank. That the fact that we are means we actually know what we’re talking about. The fact that you don’t means you’re speculating at best.

Aren’t you the same person vying for a Jebao endorsement at every opportunity?

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t like the sump or plumbing you can replace it
my point, you will hate buying twice. Trying to help you not make mistakes I learned 30 years ago
That the fact that we are means we actually know what we’re talking about.
NO it does not. Anyone with no experience can buy what ever they want. Having a les paul doesnt mean you can play it.
The fact that you don’t
Ive had red sea products in the past, they were overpriced and underperformed.
vying for a Jebao
You mean trying to get my fellow reefers to save money? Nothing special about Jebao, but price is great, and their reliability as good as any other DC pump which most come from china anyway. My love is for DC pumps because they pay for themselves in ac SAVINGS. i have a few Iwaki's which are known to be the best pumps that exist, but I only use them for my mixing station now.

Im sorry you dont like criticism of red sea products. Their tanks are great, no problems there. The rest leaves a lot to be desired, and you wont see anyone rushing to buy their products, or post about how much their loved, or how good they are. Can you get by with their equipment? sure

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my point, you will hate buying twice. Trying to help you not make mistakes I learned 30 years ago

NO it does not. Anyone with no experience can buy what ever they want. Having a les paul doesnt mean you can play it.

Ive had red sea products in the past, they were overpriced and underperformed.

You mean trying to get my fellow reefers to save money? Nothing special about Jebao, but price is great, and their reliability as good as any other DC pump which most come from china anyway. My love is for DC pumps because they pay for themselves in ac SAVINGS. i have a few Iwaki's which are known to be the best pumps that exist, but I only use them for my mixing station now.

Im sorry you dont like criticism of red sea products. Their tanks are great, no problems there. The rest leaves a lot to be desired, and you wont see anyone rushing to buy their products, or post about how much their loved, or how good they are. Can you get by with their equipment? sure
Not everyone needs or necessarily wants a custom sump. So yes, if you want something custom then a turn-key solution like Red Sea or Waterbox probably isn't in the cards anyway (as you'd probably want a custom stand and tank as well).

There's a difference between a Red Sea product and a Red Sea tank, and even a Red Sea tank today from several years ago. I'm not saying they're perfect (quality control is challenging for every manufacturer) - but they've certainly gotten better. At least the tanks and ReefWaves (I can't speak to the ReefLED, ReeferSkimmer or ReefDose - although I hear good things about the ReefDose).

Saving money is fine. Just keep in-mind that all these Chinese knock-offs have an associated cost with them to the entire industry - even if it's not immediately apparent. I like DC pumps for the same reason, but I prefer to put my hard-earned money into North American and European companies.

I don't mind criticism of Red Sea products, and in fact if you search through any of my posts you'll see I'm actually a big Cade fanatic. But we can't get Cade here in Canada, so short of a custom build Red Sea is one of the most cost-effective options that ticks off most of the boxes. There are a lot of little quirks I don't like about the Red Sea tanks, and I could easily run off a list of a dozen or more things that I don't like. They're minor though, and not necessarily a deal killer.

I use Red Sea ReefWaves because believe it or not, these are actually very good (and having used a number of other gyres and wavemakers, this is based on my experience with them and not what I think just "looks cool").

smariner007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my S 850 so far! Check out my build thread for more details of my setup!

bdouglas119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my S-1000. The eurobrace top and bottom, armored seems, aluminum stand, and 3/4” glass makes me feel very comfortable with it long term.

People like to say they are overpriced, but if you price and equivalent tank(included low iron glass, armored seems, smoked 3/4” eurobrace top ans bottom, and glass overflow) with an aluminum stand, professional grade finished cabinet, glass sump, and plumbing….the Red Sea offers a killer value.

I’ve seen people pay almost 2k for aluminum stands, a comparable tank from someone like glass cages is near 4K. Then you still have sump, plumbing, and finishing trim.

long story short I don’t think you’ll regret it at all if you got one

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back