New Red Sea sump with refugium for peninsula and XXL reefers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the design of the new sump because it includes the possibility of a refugium but one thing that is bugging me is the skimmer chamber is after the refugium. Is that a permanent design? I mean I would be skimming out lots of copepods in the process that way I imagine. Anyone else notice that or how many think that's not a big deal? I commented on the youtube video for the sump and red sea replied that not all critters would be skimmed. That didn't make me feel any better. Am I being too picky?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a little weird IMO that it is set up that way but I see where they are coming from. It helps skim out the stuff that leaves your Fuge. Sadly that just happens to be pods and other critters.

OP
OP
Cherub

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only reason I can see is for the adjustable height for the skimmer but the fuge is better than that IMO

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I like to skimmer after the fuge better. Dirty water enters the fuge and is cleaned after. What im seeing with this design is if you have the fuge right there you can probably get rid of the filter socks entirely once your fuge is mature.

Ldogg

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that you would want to get tank water directly into the fuge first so that it has the chance to to pull nutrients out first before skimming. if you put your skimmer intake in the corner of that section then you would still have a fair amount of pods flow back into the display as well.

OP
OP
Cherub

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm I guess I just feel bad for the poor animals, being born to be skimmed lol. I prefer to give them a chance to feed my fish xD Maybe I am being picky and should just try it out first. would be a PITA to switch sides though.

Ldogg

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about running a chaeto reactor and plumbing the return into your return section? you could run some marine pure blocks in the fuge section and macro algae in the reactor. This would dump those pods right into the return but you would loose some when you trim up the growth.

OP
OP
Cherub

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about running a chaeto reactor and plumbing the return into your return section? you could run some marine pure blocks in the fuge section and macro algae in the reactor. This would dump those pods right into the return but you would loose some when you trim up the growth.
I've actually never seen a chaeto reactor. Never heard of it until this post lol. I will look into them.

Ldogg

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on running one when I was looking at the 450/525. Marine Depot had a youtube video on building your own and I saw in a couple RAP videos that there a several new ones coming to market as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back