new redsea 170max

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am getting ready to setup up my first reef tank for fish/lsp/softies, via the RS 170max without sump upgrade (will upgrade near future as needed). I wanted to briefly list my process for setup and initial running of the tank, so I can get feedback on things to change

1. Build tank/stand - going on hardwood floor - do most people put something underneath to protect hardware floor, ie shower liner, rubber mat?

2. place aquascape rock - using ~30lbs Caribsea LifeRock - do I need to wash rock prior to placing in tank?

3. place sand - using 40lbs ocean direct live sand - do i need to wash sand prior to placing in tank - I think yes?

4. place RODI water into tank, heat water, then mix red sea salt directly into tank - will tank pumps be sufficient to mix the salt? or should i premix the RODI and salt before placing?

5. cycle tank - i was recommended Dr Tim's solutions to help start cycling - I have read cycling can take 4-6wks, but with the liferock and live sand, shouldnt the cycle be quicker? What recommendations of additives to add in the water to help with cycle?

6. cycle complete

7. starting adding invertebrates - how many do I need initially? Can i add corals now? - for the inverts and corals, do i need to clean them with a pre-dip?

8. slowly start adding fish

9. Last one! - trying to figure out easiest way to handle making RODI for ATO and tank changes. Figure with 45 gal DT, ill need ~10gal for water changes, and an ATO reservoir of ?7-10gals
My DT is not near RODI station, so ill need to make RODI and saltwater in the garage, and then somehow transfer to tank - would love to just plumb everything, but thats not an option. So since my tank is small, i figure i can just make RODI and store it in garage, and make salt water 1x/month for tank changes as needed and just carry the water over.
Any one in a similar setup and have recommendation for the storage and transport of the water?

Long post, thank you for any input/advice!

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I wouldn't put anything under the tank. The reason being if water spills, water may potentially get under the "mat" which will be all but impossible to dry. Just mop up water whenever it spills (hich will happen during maintenance).

2. Yes. rinse off dust and particulates.

3. No. But, place rocks in the tank before the sand so the rocks rest on the bare bottom for stability. Place the sand before the water is in. Slowly add the water breaking the flow of the water with a dish or on the rocks to minimize clouding from the sand. A packet should come with the sand to clear the water. Use it, it works.

4. No. Mix water in a food grade container, not in the tank. Use a power head to stir and keep it stirring for 24 hours before use.

5. My last tank I followed BRS procedures (and others) where I put Fritz TurboStart 900 into the tank (once filled with water). Next day I added a couple of fish which will produce ammonia to feed the bacteria. Check parameters regularly and if you add more fish, just add a bit more bacteria. In my case never had any ammonia or nitrite in tank and slowly started seeing nitrates. This gives you an instant cycle. Keep in mind the bacteria need to mature into the rocks and the bio-system develop for natural filtration. Accordingly, a full reef cycle will take a few months but supporting fish is much quicker.

6. cycle complete

7. Invertebrates may be added but make sure they have something to eat. A new tank is not full of their natural diet. Always acclimate before adding to the tank.

8. slowly start adding fish - as mentioned above depending upon your cycle method you may add fish almost immediately (but only 1 or 2).

9. Transporting the salt and RODI in a bucket should not be a problem as the tank is small. ATO of 5 gallons is probably sufficient considering the tank size. When storing saltwater, I recommend keeping it agitated with a power head or pump the whole time.

Hope this helps. I highly recommend perusing videos on YouTube for helpful information.

Last edited:

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t put anything under the tank. Move the feet as high as possible to allow access

15-20 lb of rock is enough. Rookie mistake too overload with rocks and have bad flow. Rookie mistake 2 is to make the rocks permanent and hard to remove. The pros use plastic rods to keep rocks tougher and removable. In the first couple years you’ll want to pull those rocks at least a few times for various reasons of cleaning or algee

washing helps for everything Tap water is fine

mixing in tank is fine use a power head

The additives are mostly snake oil. If you can get some really clean rock from a local pro that is growing sps well that might be a better bet. You don’t need a lot. What ever you do don’t buy used rock from a tear down or lfs live rock it’s all mostly junk and start you off with pests.

Inverts are optional, unclear to me that they really do much plan on scrubbing your own glass. Figure out how best to do that without scratching it.

Have you thought about did quarantine. Might I recommend a plan for that

5 gal water changes are plenty. Buy 2 6 gallon buckets. Transporting 5 gal in a 5 gal bucket fills you almost to the rim.

Buy nylon filter socks or in tank media baskets to use filter floss.

buy a Hanna dkh checker. A refractomer and calibration solution, the rest buy salifert or Red Sea kits

size your pump small. 1000L an hour is enough even 600 is fine. Use a power head for flow

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Welcome! My daughter's tank is the E-170 also. We use a water absorbing rug, (https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/aqua-sponge-aquarium-floor-mat-large-36-x-20-cobalt/) that we put down during water changes.
Don't rinse your live sand, use the bio-clear package that comes with it. The cycle will take a month.
It will take a gallon of RO a week for top off.
Weekly water changes are 10%, so 5 gallons would be sufficient.
Good luck!

OP
OP
D

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx hotdrop

I do plan on using a quarantine tank - was going to but a cheap ~10g tank, cheap powerhead, rock to use - but I'd appreciate your take...

Is the standard still to quarantine the fish for 72 days?

also, i have seen tanks with a very small hanging tank on the top used to acclimate new fish - is there a name to this little tank?where can I get one.

Good practice is to dip all corals prior to placing in DT correct?
Thx

OP
OP
D

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Arabyps and Phil for the great advice, really appreciate it!

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx hotdrop

I do plan on using a quarantine tank - was going to but a cheap ~10g tank, cheap powerhead, rock to use - but I'd appreciate your take...

Is the standard still to quarantine the fish for 72 days?

also, i have seen tanks with a very small hanging tank on the top used to acclimate new fish - is there a name to this little tank?where can I get one.

Good practice is to dip all corals prior to placing in DT correct?
Thx
There isn’t a standard duration, it depends on your method and what you are doing qt for. It’s a rather complex topic you will spend a couple nights researching. A 10g will work fine add in a small Hob filter and you are set. All sorts of methods to manage substrate and dosage though. Light isn’t a requirement.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back