New Redsea Reefer XL 525 108 Gallon Setup and Updates

Elias Kalogiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I'm starting a new reef tank and also wanted to start a thread at the same time in order to document the whole process. So here goes.
I currently have a Red Sea Max C250 (current picture attached) it is 3 1/2 years old and it was also my first tank. It has served me well as a first tank and was great as an intro tank into the hobby. I have decided to upgrade to a larger tank for multiple reasons.
  1. I hate the hood on the RSM
  2. I hate the rear sump
  3. I want a bigger tank so that I have room to grow
  4. I used live rock on the tank which in my opinion is a huge mistake because of the large amount of hitchhikers.
The new tank I chose was the Red Sea Reefer XL 525 deluxe in white. It will be a mixed reef tank, and would like to be very picky about what goes in the tank after I move the coral and fish already have in my RSM. I think the tank looks great and love the Red Sea tank build quality. I ordered the tank last week and am expecting delivery this Tuesday. I will post pictures when it has been delivered and put together in it's new home. Here is a list of equipment I have ordered so far:
  • Return Pump: Ecotech Marine Vectra M1
  • Skimmer: Deltec 1456 DC
  • Powerheads: Two Ecotech Marine MP40's (One new & one moving from old tank)
  • Substrate: 90lbs of Tropic Eden MesoFlakes (this is how much I ordered, will post how much I actually use)
  • Rock: "Real Reef", Eco Friendly Shelf Rock - 20 lb
  • Rock: "Real Reef" Eco Friendly Natural Rock - 60 lb
  • Heater: Two HMO-300 Finnex Heaters
  • Lights: Three Hydra 26 HD LED's
  • Controller: Neptune Apex Controller (Moving from old tank)
That's it so far, let me know what you think...

IMG_20170731_230801.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at upgrading to one of those tanks as well, but the price has been keeping me away haha Good luck with your new build!

OP
OP
Elias Kalogiros

Elias Kalogiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so had to get all of the boxes opened up and out of the house. I installed the 3 Hydra's and they look great they also fit perfectly on the tank.
One mistake I did make was put the sump in the stand before leveling the doors off. So I had to take it out in order to level the doors (should have read the directions, it's in there). Here are some pics

IMG_20170919_205005.jpg

IMG_20170919_205027.jpg

IMG_20170919_205013.jpg

IMG_20170919_205038.jpg

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I'm starting a new reef tank and also wanted to start a thread at the same time in order to document the whole process. So here goes.
I currently have a Red Sea Max C250 (current picture attached) it is 3 1/2 years old and it was also my first tank. It has served me well as a first tank and was great as an intro tank into the hobby. I have decided to upgrade to a larger tank for multiple reasons.
  1. I hate the hood on the RSM
  2. I hate the rear sump
  3. I want a bigger tank so that I have room to grow
  4. I used live rock on the tank which in my opinion is a huge mistake because of the large amount of hitchhikers.
The new tank I chose was the Red Sea Reefer XL 525 deluxe in white. It will be a mixed reef tank, and would like to be very picky about what goes in the tank after I move the coral and fish already have in my RSM. I think the tank looks great and love the Red Sea tank build quality. I ordered the tank last week and am expecting delivery this Tuesday. I will post pictures when it has been delivered and put together in it's new home. Here is a list of equipment I have ordered so far:
  • Return Pump: Ecotech Marine Vectra M1
  • Skimmer: Deltec 1456 DC
  • Powerheads: Two Ecotech Marine MP40's (One new & one moving from old tank)
  • Substrate: 90lbs of Tropic Eden MesoFlakes (this is how much I ordered, will post how much I actually use)
  • Rock: "Real Reef", Eco Friendly Shelf Rock - 20 lb
  • Rock: "Real Reef" Eco Friendly Natural Rock - 60 lb
  • Heater: Two HMO-300 Finnex Heaters
  • Lights: Three Hydra 26 HD LED's
  • Controller: Neptune Apex Controller (Moving from old tank)
That's it so far, let me know what you think...

IMG_20170731_230801.jpg

My only suggestion here would be to go with the Deltec 1455 instead of the 1456, as the DC pumps are far from great. The same skimmer with an AC pump would be fantastic and much more reliable. Ive gone through three DC pumps with this skimmer, and am currently working on getting an AC retrofit for my skimmer.

Looks great though - I'll be watching this one :D

OP
OP
Elias Kalogiros

Elias Kalogiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only suggestion here would be to go with the Deltec 1455 instead of the 1456, as the DC pumps are far from great. The same skimmer with an AC pump would be fantastic and much more reliable. Ive gone through three DC pumps with this skimmer, and am currently working on getting an AC retrofit for my skimmer.

Looks great though - I'll be watching this one :D

Thanks! I have actually decided to go with a Bash Sea Twisted skimmer. The manager at my LFS convinced me to give it a shot and gave me a great price on it. Will put some pictures up once I get it in the house.

OP
OP
Elias Kalogiros

Elias Kalogiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice!!
So getting ready to setup the new tank and plan on running the Zeovit program which is recommended to run from day one. I was also planning on running the
Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit to get things going, is it a problem/recommended to run both or should I just do Zeovit?
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated, this is my second tank and trying to do everything the right way.

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Zeo Startup and Red Sea Mature Pro do the same thing, so while you could run both, they do the same (or similar) things, so you wouldnt be doing anything but wasting money. :D

OP
OP
Elias Kalogiros

Elias Kalogiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Zeo Startup and Red Sea Mature Pro do the same thing, so while you could run both, they do the same (or similar) things, so you wouldnt be doing anything but wasting money. :D

Thank you. So I guess I will stick with the Zeo Startup. Thank you!!!

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This (here) is what I followed when starting up my tank, and since I was using dry rock, its was more like 17-21 days, but that seems pretty normal if you read the ZeoVit forums. You can see on my build thread where I recorded all of my Zeo dosing for the first 3 months or so. Its seemed to work out pretty well.

As for the skimmer, Ive read a lot of good things about the Bashsea skimmers, but I havent had a chance to run them. I do have one of their sumps though... and the build quality is really good :) Cant wait to see it all put together.

Dumb question - your hard plumbing is 1/4" pvc? That seems really restrictive for your return and manifold. What are you planning to run off the manifold?

OP
OP
Elias Kalogiros

Elias Kalogiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This (here) is what I followed when starting up my tank, and since I was using dry rock, its was more like 17-21 days, but that seems pretty normal if you read the ZeoVit forums. You can see on my build thread where I recorded all of my Zeo dosing for the first 3 months or so. Its seemed to work out pretty well.

As for the skimmer, Ive read a lot of good things about the Bashsea skimmers, but I havent had a chance to run them. I do have one of their sumps though... and the build quality is really good :) Cant wait to see it all put together.

Dumb question - your hard plumbing is 1/4" pvc? That seems really restrictive for your return and manifold. What are you planning to run off the manifold?

Great, I plan on following the ZeoVit to the T. I have heard great things. Your link is very detailed and will be very helpful.

Good question on the plumbing, that's because I was typing too fast and didn't proof read. LOL. The plumbing is 3/4", I corrected it above. Thank you!

PlanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your light mounts. I have AI Hydras too, and I was wondering what kind of mounts your using? And they look as though the mount is magnetic in some fashion?

OP
OP
Elias Kalogiros

Elias Kalogiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your light mounts. I have AI Hydras too, and I was wondering what kind of mounts your using? And they look as though the mount is magnetic in some fashion?

I purchased the Reefer "Deluxe" which comes with the 3 Hydras and as per Red Sea "custom" mounting system. There are actually 2 screws that hold each mount to the tank and the tank has pre-drilled holes for the brackets.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at the HMS mounts?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the Reefer "Deluxe" which comes with the 3 Hydras and as per Red Sea "custom" mounting system. There are actually 2 screws that hold each mount to the tank and the tank has pre-drilled holes for the brackets.
Great build:)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back