New reef build - Red Sea XXL 750 - My new reef - first timer adventure!

ryan_frank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a good 20 years since I have owned an aquarium. Late 2002 I dismantled my 55 gallon freshwater tank in preparation for my move to North Carolina. A sad day for sure, but I was excited for what could be in my new location, new friends I would meet and of course a new setup! But no, this was not to be. new experiences were had and new hobbies started, my aquarium would have to wait.

Until now. After going over with the wife and looking at different opportunities, I decided to jump into the salt water reef hobby. Glutton for punishment is certainly on way to describe it, for me it is an adventure. Surely I will stumble, there will be disappointment and challenge. I can say without hesitation, just in the first few weeks, it has far surpassed my expectations.

Let's talk about some initial thoughts:
  1. It's HUGE, bigger than I could have predicted with a tape measure and some imagination
  2. It's heavy...the glass alone is 430lb (give or take) it is a beast
  3. Arguably the most beautiful, brilliant and substantial tank I have ever owned
  4. There is no end to possibilities, my LFS (The Fish Room of Charlotte) did me a solid and helped me put together a plan
    1. Things I need day 1
    2. Things I will need once we start putting livestock in
    3. Things I want to make my setup better/different (Nexus, dosers, etc...)
Day 1 equipment:
  • Red Sea Reefer XXL-750G2
  • Red Sea Skimmer (900)
  • Red Sea ReefMat (1200) - on order, not in yet
  • Sicce 9.0 return pump (replaced with EcoTech M2)
  • 500w Titanium heater with controller
  • ReefWave 45x2
  • ReefLED 160x3
  • 80lb live sand - CaribSea
  • 150lb Live rock
  • RedSea Salt
Preparation:

The first step to this adventure was identification of the space, where is this beautiful aquarium going to sit. We ultimately decided to keep it in the basement, we spend a great deal of our time down here, including my home-office, media room, utilities, etc... it made sense to keep it where most our time is spent, I want to enjoy it and keep it close to where I spend most of my time.

Next stop, clean water. We have well water, tests fine (for consumption/cooking) but I was in no way interested in trusting it. So an RO/DI system was an absolute necessity. On to Amazon I went. A few bucks later, and two days, I have a MaxWater 6 stage RO/DI and a Smart Buddie Booster...it works! Next I added about 8,767,433 connectors, elbows, valves and trinkets for the RO/DI plumbing. Got myself a few 45 gallon Brute buckets to start generating water, three got me started, an additional 50 gallon rainwater tank from Tractor Supply got me started, it certainly was not enough.

Now that the commitment is made, it was time to start enlisting the friends that will help move this beast. Picked up 6 of the suction cup handles and a hydraulic lift (back saver) from Harbor Freight. I am ready, we are ready, just need the shipper to notify...

Arrival Date:

If you recall from above, the enlistment of friends is critical to this success. It just so happens, one friend enlisted has a skid-steer. The 18-wheeler that arrived to drop the new package off could not make it down the driveway. Friends are the best!

CEC71B7C-6BB3-4F7E-B810-CEEEEE5A23E6_1_105_c.jpeg

Once in the garage, I could start the inventory process and the panic to see how Red Sea ships these. In researching delivery of these units, it was concerning to see critical parts are UNDER the tank. I can say with absolute certainty, Red Sea has fixed this. At least in my 750G2 shipment. Doors and sides were in separate box, on top of the crate. Top plate and other parts were packaged neatly and securely inside the crate either in front/behind the tank and some inside the tank with the sump (also very well packed).

33F51098-D12C-42F1-893A-C96583E200AB_1_105_c.jpeg

Let's open and investigate, ensuring no defects or damage from shipping:

BC38BB33-8CFE-4087-9D76-1ACFAFAABF0B_1_105_c.jpeg

Everything was/is perfect. I won't lie. I stood there staring at that glass for a good 15 minutes. So impressive in person. I am sure many others have the same feeling with their brand of choice, none the less, this was stunning to me.

The stand is what you expect a stand to be. When assembled it looks good, seems well prepared to hold the weight of a fully loaded system, has decent protection from the hostile salt water will throw at it and is big enough to grow with the hobby providing some space for technology or other items related to the maintenance and support.

After assembly and leveling the stand with no tank, it was time. We finally have the display on the stand :) oh what a moment for us.

A909CBBF-E9DB-4E0C-81F8-C777FC27984A_1_105_c.jpeg

Check level = Done
Feet adjusted and locked = Done
Distance from wall = NOT done, just left it a few inches away, even on both sides (this is important later)

I think I'm ready for a leak test! Now, this is where I had my first real lesson in this process, up until now sure could have done things better, but they were well thought out, worked and kept everything relatively safe. I decided, as the leak test is just to ensure plumbing is right, no leaks in display and none in the sump. Also a good time to run all the new equipment through its paces before we have lives depending on them to work.

C4D244ED-8C61-453A-A2F1-E3ADFC3B4442_1_105_c.jpeg

Look at me! 200 gallons of water put in and everything is running!

Here is, what I consider, the critical mistake. I used well water, just ran from the hose to the tank, I'm not supporting life or expecting any type of clarity, I just want to see if anything is cracked, bent or broken... show me it will keep the dry parts dry and the wet parts are wet.

I let it run overnight, boy was the next morning a surprise. The water looked NASTY, those of you in the Carolinas or other spots with red clay in the soil, you know exactly what I am talking about. You could visibly see the sediment from the well being soaked into every nook and cranny of this beautiful display. What have I done! ok, no more drama... Drain the water and move on... The mess that water made... I spent, no exaggeration, 6-8 hours scrubbing this thing clean. Every orifice, panel and corner got touched with Water/Isopropyl/Vinegar and clean rags. Even took apart the wave makers to clean them and the pump.

Lesson learned, no real harm just a roll of paper towels, microfiber rags and some elbow grease...

Here are the few things that I had to learn...
  • Placement
    • Not just far enough from the wall for your fist to fit, remember those light arms have adjustment screws on the back, move it out a bit farther
    • You will get water EVERYWHERE at any moment...Best not to place on a carpet unless you have another mitigation solution - ALWAYS have towels ready
    • Leveling is critical, take your time. Small changes, check, small changes, until it is right. Take your time, you will be happy you did
  • Assembly/Installation
    • Again, take your time, there is no rush
    • Read and UNDERSTAND the instructions
    • Pay attention to graphic representation and point of view (installed main and emergency drains backwards by failing to notice POV change in the graphic)
    • Re-level once tank is on stand. Should not be far off (if at all) but NOW is the best time to finalize this
    • If there is an equipment issue, now is the time to resolve it. Take a few extra days to get it right, much more difficult to complete a lot of work once water is in (not impossible, just potentially harder/messier)
    • This thing is heavy, cannot stress this any more. You will need help, do not attempt to move the tank by yourself. I know, many people have, but the majority of us will need help, just use help to move the tank. Unnecessary risk should be avoided in moving a piece of art

3AB25B46-9D58-43FE-B35B-741B7E443383_1_105_c.jpeg

I am excited! Just got salt water in it Friday night. More pictures to come as my journey moves to the next phase.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Get a BuildThread badge (go to account details and it’s near the bottom) and we'll follow along!

finding nemo lol GIF by Disney Pixar

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back