New Reef in Louisiana

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:):)
Yes. Got very fortunate in travels. I guess my favorite was Pagerungan Island in Indonesia. Very remote, virtually no contact with humans and the tribe that lived there didn't swim. It was an Atol not to far from Bali with the longest stretch across the Island was 2 miles. Kota Kinabalu Malaysia was fantastic too. snorkeling with my then 5 year old at Gili Island (Atol) we got within 10' of a school of yellow fin tuna. That was scary and super cool. Never happened to me before and never will! Brunei was great, reportedly the largest percentage of living reef in the world (75% in 1999). Thailand had some great spots too. Phi Phi Island was unbelievable before it got commercialized with hotels, civilization etc. Probably still good, just don't like crowds. Tonsai Bay at Phi Phi island was a primitive villiage as little as 24 years ago. The best memories and most strokeling was in Hawaii. The last time was in 1975 on Oahu and 2005 on the Big Island. Things changed a lot there over the years. I went to Puerto Rico 2 years ago. For the snorkeling crowd not so impressive as most is dead in the shallows <50 FT. Aruba is a bust as the tankers kicked up silt and destroyed the reefs. Barbados is Awesome but currents treacherous there. Singapore all dead. Regret not going to Australia and New Zealand. Thank you for your interest. I hope I did not bore you. I get fired up when thinking about overseas travels.
Not boring at all very cool and interesting thanks for sharing. Easy to see how you got into salt tanks

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Wow, your tank is awesome! I am looking to upgrade to 100+ gal. How do you like the Red Sea Max and did you have to upgrade any components it came with? My Biocube was a test to see if I could do the tasks required and liked what I was doing. Looks like you dove right in! Good for you.
I guess I was listening to Benjamin Franklin. "Never test the depth of the water with both feet".

Thank you. I did have a Max E260 for 2 months before upgrading to make sure I liked the hobby, but yes I dived straight in pretty much. Bigger tanks are much easier to manage and more forgiving I found. The S Series tanks are stunning.

You don’t need to upgrade anything with the systems, they work fine with what you get, but most like to get better things as you learn.

OP
OP
TVV

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I did have a Max E260 for 2 months before upgrading to make sure I liked the hobby, but yes I dived straight in pretty much. Bigger tanks are much easier to manage and more forgiving I found. The S Series tanks are stunning.

You don’t need to upgrade anything with the systems, they work fine with what you get, but most like to get better things as you learn.
Thanks, that helps a lot. If you hook up an Apex controller to the Max S, does it make the electrical system supplied redundant/disabled or can the Apex be up or downstream in the system and function as intended?

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that helps a lot. If you hook up an Apex controller to the Max S, does it make the electrical system supplied redundant/disabled or can the Apex be up or downstream in the system and function as intended?

It could make it redundant yes. The power centre is just a box of plug sockets that’s it. Everything just plugs into it so there are no built in wires as such

I have Apex but I didn’t want to create a single point of failure so I have the main return pump, rear circulation pumps and display lights all still connected to the power centre of the tank ( The power centre just plugs into a wall socket), because they should always be on (generally) so no need for Apex control and potentially single point failure risk.

All my other equipment plugs into Apex like skimmers, sump lights, ATO (I use the Tunze Osmolator as primary and built in as redundancy) etc

If you want to use Apex for everything then yes you can, no problem.

OP
OP
TVV

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could make it redundant yes. The power centre is just a box of plug sockets that’s it. Everything just plugs into it so there are no built in wires as such

I have Apex but I didn’t want to create a single point of failure so I have the main return pump, rear circulation pumps and display lights all still connected to the power centre of the tank ( The power centre just plugs into a wall socket), because they should always be on (generally) so no need for Apex control and potentially single point failure risk.

All my other equipment plugs into Apex like skimmers, sump lights, ATO (I use the Tunze Osmolator as primary and built in as redundancy) etc

If you want to use Apex for everything then yes you can, no problem.
Sounds Smart. Thank you. What type of auto Light control is integral to the Max S if any? Similar to Apex with timers and dimmers?

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds Smart. Thank you. What type of auto Light control is integral to the Max S if any? Similar to Apex with timers and dimmers?
The lights are Hydra 26HD and have their own app. They can’t be controlled by Apex as such

OP
OP
TVV

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Beautiful Tank, seriously I love the “flow” it has... coral placement is perfect. Make sure to start a tank thread and share all the details and progress!
Thank you so much. It really means alot to me coming from a reefer expert with such an impressive tank! Read your build thread. Beautiful!

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Reefers. Just joined the community. Having less and less opportunities to snorkel around the world (Hawaii, Indonesia, Brunei, Venezuela, Aruba, Thailand, Texas), I found it necessary to put a reef in my house in Louisiana. Been pushing forward with this Biocube, Steves LED, Votec 40, In Tank Refugium and Filter Tray, battery backup w/surge protection, upgrade circulation pump. Did some dumb things and successful with others. Mostly with respect to Aquascaping and corals proximity to each other and possibly over populating. I have enjoyed reading the forums here and found value in joining in with the saltwater reefing community of Reef2Reef. So far So good. This is me, 6 months in. I wanted to thank you all for helping me even though you didn't know you did!
NOV_21_2018.jpg
I love your layout. Great masterpiece. Your canvas is inspiring.

Back