New Reef Need Help - Possible Aiptasia ID

brucelee90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I’m a reasonably new reefer and was wondering what this little hitchhiker might be on my mushroom.

I got this frag from my LFS yesterday, dipped it in coralRX and put it with my other frags in a QT. This morning this little tentacle appeared out of nowhere. If it's an aiptasia, I suppose I should manually remove it and also find my mushroom a new plug, right? I've heard that mushroom is slimy and cannot be attached to a frag.

This frag cost me $20. Is it safer to simply throw it away? Any advice would be appreciated!

aiptasia.jpeg

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a small, harmless feather duster to me. Aiptasia don't have the brown bands like the crowns of dusters often do. Your frag is fine. I'd leave the little guy. Harmless filter feeder. Just part of the clean up crew. $20 is actually pretty good for the orange variety of Ricordea florida.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

brucelee90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a small, harmless feather duster to me. Aiptasia don't have the brown bands like the crowns of dusters often do. Your frag is fine. I'd leave the little guy. Harmless filter feeder. Just part of the clean up crew. $20 is actually pretty good for the orange variety of Ricordea florida.
Thank you so much! I am relieved :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back