New Reef Tank Setup, does this look ok for aquascape?

Thom8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to set up my first reef tank and have been working on my aquascape. I'm new to saltwater, but have been keeping freshwater tanks for about 5 years now.

I thought I'd check and make sure I'm not making any obvious mistakes with my rock placements/ arrangements. Figured if I need to redo it, it'd be much easier to do now rather than later. DT is 65g, 36" x 22.6" and 22" tall. I've got at least 3" distance from any rocks and the front/ sides (hard to tell this from the pics). The highest point on the rock is right about 14".

This is about 45# of Marco Rock. I took separate pictures of the front and back rows of rocks I built, then a pic of the whole scale together. Last pic is a top down view.

Back row
20211124_085418.jpg

Front Row
20211124_085649.jpg

All Rocks
20211124_090121.jpg

Top View
20211124_090148.jpg

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. I think it depends on what you are trying to keep in there too. Some stuff likes shade some bright light some waves some low flow etc.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good setup. You blended your 'steps' well.

Looking at your dims, I am calculating your tank is more like 75g than 65g. Just a heads-up.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a sump that will add to the water volume. The rocks and sand also displace a bit though, keep that in mind. Gluing it together makes sense before you fill it. I'm wishing I did that

OP
OP
Thom8

Thom8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a sump that will add to the water volume. The rocks and sand also displace a bit though, keep that in mind. Gluing it together makes sense before you fill it. I'm wishing I did that
Yes, I have a 15g sump also. My thoughts on my rocks was making some separate structures that could be added to the tank in pieces, rather than attempting to lift and place the whole 45#s of rock as one structure. I just wanted to check and make sure that I wasn't making any obvious mistakes that I should avoid, like creating dead spots or placement that fish won't like.

I know I should add the rock before my sand, just not positive which sand to go for? I like the idea of the Ocean Direct, since it should have bacteria and such to help cycle and establish the tank. But, is it worth the possibility of unwanted pests? Should I go with dry sand instead? Either way I plan on using bottled bacteria to kickstart the cycle. My understanding is that the bottled bacteria for saltwater are pretty much an instant cycle?

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a 15g sump also. My thoughts on my rocks was making some separate structures that could be added to the tank in pieces, rather than attempting to lift and place the whole 45#s of rock as one structure. I just wanted to check and make sure that I wasn't making any obvious mistakes that I should avoid, like creating dead spots or placement that fish won't like.

I know I should add the rock before my sand, just not positive which sand to go for? I like the idea of the Ocean Direct, since it should have bacteria and such to help cycle and establish the tank. But, is it worth the possibility of unwanted pests? Should I go with dry sand instead? Either way I plan on using bottled bacteria to kickstart the cycle. My understanding is that the bottled bacteria for saltwater are pretty much an instant cycle?
I just went with caribsea fifi pink. I like the grain size and it's got some bacteria in it. My ta k is 36x24x16
I did 3 bags 20lbs each. It's about 1 inch or so on average. I may add another bag simply because I plan to have some gobies and the ones I like need deeper sand.
Look up my 70 frag build if u can on here for some pics hard to tell from this one

Attachments

• 20211122_111901.jpg
    20211122_111901.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 38

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back