New Reefer... Crystal Clear but GREEN Water!

hray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

We're new to reefing (8 days into the Red Sea Reef Mature program at the moment), and we are setting up our first tank. We're using a preowned Red Sea Reefer XL 300.

Ammonia is sitting at <0.15, Nitrite at 0.2, and Nitrate at 50, with a PH of 7.8 and 9.8 d/KH.

What we can't understand is the colour of our water. Whilst we filled up with new (but unwashed!) sand and synthetic rock, we reused the previous owner's equipment. Unfortunately, we didn't realize the ReefMat had a media tray filled with the previous owner's used and redried carbon, so after investigating possible causes we removed this old carbon and put some fresh carbon in. Similar story with the bubble trap sponge, it was full of junk and we've now stripped that out.

We're left with crystal clear clarity of our water... but this very noticeable greeny-yellow hue.

What on Earth could be causing this, and what would people propose the solution is? We did a 10% water change yesterday in line with the Red Sea Reef Mature program guidance.

greenwater3.png greenwater2.png greenwater.png

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to speed up the process of clarifying your water get a separate internal power filter packed with carbon. A power head with an attachment that you can place carbon into it and a polishing filter over it. I have several different sizes. Works fast.

41cZjBjdLUL._AC_.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Organics must have been left over from previous use. As mentioned before Carbon is your best friend. Make sure to keep an eye on nitrate and ammonia levels as there could be some die off occuring.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone!

We're new to reefing (8 days into the Red Sea Reef Mature program at the moment), and we are setting up our first tank. We're using a preowned Red Sea Reefer XL 300.

Ammonia is sitting at <0.15, Nitrite at 0.2, and Nitrate at 50, with a PH of 7.8 and 9.8 d/KH.

What we can't understand is the colour of our water. Whilst we filled up with new (but unwashed!) sand and synthetic rock, we reused the previous owner's equipment. Unfortunately, we didn't realize the ReefMat had a media tray filled with the previous owner's used and redried carbon, so after investigating possible causes we removed this old carbon and put some fresh carbon in. Similar story with the bubble trap sponge, it was full of junk and we've now stripped that out.

We're left with crystal clear clarity of our water... but this very noticeable greeny-yellow hue.

What on Earth could be causing this, and what would people propose the solution is? We did a 10% water change yesterday in line with the Red Sea Reef Mature program guidance.

This type of tank has limited filtration and water movement. A hang on skimmer such as Ice Cap K1-50 will help you overall . Big green machine UV will help as I suspect the cause . . . . .
Is your tank by chance at or near a window??
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?

OP
OP
H

hray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This type of tank has limited filtration and water movement. A hang on skimmer such as Ice Cap K1-50 will help you overall . Big green machine UV will help as I suspect the cause . . . . .

Hiya,

I'm using RODI water prepared by the LFS. It's not very close to the window, no.

I'm confused by your suggestion to use a hang on skimmer here though? As well as looking ugly, surely that's going to perform worse than the bubble magus skimmer and the reef mat I have running in the sump?

What about the Reefer 300 results in limited filtration and water movement? Surely that's all down to the kit in my sump?

Organics must have been left over from previous use. As mentioned before Carbon is your best friend. Make sure to keep an eye on nitrate and ammonia levels as there could be some die off occuring.

We've been monitoring Nitrite, Nitrate and Ammonia since day 1. Ammonia started at 0.5, but has gradually come down to <0.15. Nitrite started at 0.1, but raised to 0.2 today. Nitrate started at 10, but is now 50.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya,

I'm using RODI water prepared by the LFS. It's not very close to the window, no.

I'm confused by your suggestion to use a hang on skimmer here though? As well as looking ugly, surely that's going to perform worse than the bubble magus skimmer and the reef mat I have running in the sump?

What about the Reefer 300 results in limited filtration and water movement? Surely that's all down to the kit in my sump?

We've been monitoring Nitrite, Nitrate and Ammonia since day 1. Ammonia started at 0.5, but has gradually come down to <0.15. Nitrite started at 0.1, but raised to 0.2 today. Nitrate started at 10, but is now 50.
API aren't the best tests but it looks like the nitrate cycle is happening. Get some carbon and put it in a high flow area of the sump. Make sure to rinse it first. I would hold off on dosing anything else for the time being. Carbon and a large water change then see what tests do.

OP
OP
H

hray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API aren't the best tests but it looks like the nitrate cycle is happening. Get some carbon and put it in a high flow area of the sump. Make sure to rinse it first. I would hold off on dosing anything else for the time being. Carbon and a large water change then see what tests do.

Sorry for not being clear, we've been running carbon in the media tray, and between sump baffles (two separate bags) for the last 5 or so days. Would you expect carbon to take this long to improve the water?

It's a mix of Red Sea and Salifert tests that we're using - how do those rate?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What?! That tank is standard with sump, why would you tell someone to buy a hob skimmer?

Op, start with some carbon in a bag in the sump, it would help immensely. Iirc that media chamber in the bottom of the roller setup ain't that big...

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon helps the result but doesn't eliminate the source. Were the rocks and sand new?

OP
OP
H

hray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon helps the result but doesn't eliminate the source. Were the rocks and sand new?
Certainly were, and the tank looked to be in really good condition before we started with it - no obvious great load of detritus or anything like that.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly were, and the tank looked to be in really good condition before we started with it - no obvious great load of detritus or anything like that.
Unless thoroughly cleaned you could have some left over organics. Either way Carbon and water changes for now. At least this happened during the cycle and not when live stock were in the tank. With that much nitrate the tank is technically ready for fish. However until the green water is cleared up and nitrate stops rising on its own, you'll have to get through this. As @vetteguy53081 mentioned a UV steralizer can clear it up quickest. However an expensive piece of equipment most of us dont even have.

OP
OP
H

hray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless thoroughly cleaned you could have some left over organics. Either way Carbon and water changes for now. At least this happened during the cycle and not when live stock were in the tank. With that much nitrate the tank is technically ready for fish. However until the green water is cleared up and nitrate stops rising on its own, you'll have to get through this. As @vetteguy53081 mentioned a UV steralizer can clear it up quickest. However an expensive piece of equipment most of us dont even have.
If the answer is to wait - that's fine. Sitting around doing nothing is definitely within my skill set. I'd be happy to consider a UV sterilizer, but considering I'm pumping the tank full of nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria, might that be a counterproductive thing to add to the tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hiya,

Perhaps regarding skimmer. You stated that its not very close to window. The power of uv can stretch as well as penetrate blinds/shades/curtains with ease. The side facing the window . . . apply a sheet of black contruction paper from walmart to it and in 2-3 days you will see spores subside.
As for you- UV will not get rid of it however will address what passes through it preventing any more production of cells

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hiya,

Also test that water from the LFS as some LFS water has been know to be low in salt, high in phos or nitrate and they didnt even know it but have a different LFS that does Not use API test kits test it for you

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I seem to be having the same problem, did a big water change yesterday and I have a sump, skimmer etc but still can’t seem to get rid of the yellow hue. I used carbon at first but removed due to using copper. Now I’m done with my copper run and will be slowly getting rid of it so will add carbon again and see if it helps. If I find anything else that works will let you know, you also keep me in the loop. Let me know if you’re having trouble with other algae issues.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try some purigen, that stuff is amazing at getting rid out brown water from tannins in a way carbon doesn’t seem to. It may work on what was left over from the nasty dried media. It’s cheap anywho so you won’t be out much if it doesn’t work. It’s very fine and needs a special media bag or you can buy it already packed in little bags.

Skip this if it is live algae. However if it is dead stuff/organics from the media that happens to be green then it’s worth a shot.

If it is live algae then a cheap UV should clear it up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to be having the same problem, did a big water change yesterday and I have a sump, skimmer etc but still can’t seem to get rid of the yellow hue. I used carbon at first but removed due to using copper. Now I’m done with my copper run and will be slowly getting rid of it so will add carbon again and see if it helps. If I find anything else that works will let you know, you also keep me in the loop. Let me know if you’re having trouble with other algae issues.
Our phosphate was at THREE ppm. I reckon the sand didn’t rinse as well as we thought it did. As the Carbon hasn’t improved the colour, I’ve picked up a phosphate remover (Fluval Clearmax). Coincidentally someone also provided us a a pair of reactors yesterday too, so I would use rowaphos in the future, but for now I’ve just got the pouches of clearmax in the reactor chamber, still in their ‘teabags’. Will test phosphates later and report back any reduction, hopefully also followed by an improvement in water colour as a result of this suspected water-bourne algae dying off.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

Did you figure out a way to clear up your tank? Is it still green?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back