New Reefer! Excited to get into this Hobby! Tips Appreciated!

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. New to aquariums and reefing. I've been doing a ton of research for months before jumping into this. Seems like reef tanks are both easy and a pain in the butt.

I just purchased all of my equipment tonight which will be here by the end of the week.

Fluval Evo 13.5
Upgraded pump to Sicce
Reef glass protein skimmer
Got all of the biomedia
Got turbo start and algaebarn bundle
Life rocks
Arag alive special blend sand
Tunze powerhead
Ro system for water

Wondering if I'm missing anything first off? Second what are going to be my best corals for beginners/this tank (I will eventually upgrade the light, but not yet)?

Thanks in advance and look forward to being a part of this awesome community!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds indeed like you have doing you home work!
my number one tip would be to go just a little bit slower than you think you have to. Measure twice cut once.
A good first coral if you don’t have the lights you eventually want might be some green star polyp on an isolated rock or some nice unnamed Zoas
Best of luck

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds indeed like you have doing you home work!
my number one tip would be to go just a little bit slower than you think you have to. Measure twice cut once.
A good first coral if you don’t have the lights you eventually want might be some green star polyp on an isolated rock or some nice unnamed Zoas
Best of luck
yeah im not planning on getting a ton of coral until i understand taking care of the tank/water. appreciate the advice

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good Evening Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. New to aquariums and reefing. I've been doing a ton of research for months before jumping into this. Seems like reef tanks are both easy and a pain in the butt.

I just purchased all of my equipment tonight which will be here by the end of the week.

Fluval Evo 13.5
Upgraded pump to Sicce
Got all of the biomedia
Life rocks
Tunze powerhead
Ro system for water

Wondering if I'm missing anything first off? Second what are going to be my best corals for beginners/this tank (I will eventually upgrade the light, but not yet)?

Welcome! There are some generally easy/beginner corals that don't need high lighting. You could consider some Zoas and Mushrooms.

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening Everyone,

Fluval Evo 13.5
Upgraded pump to Sicce
Got all of the biomedia
Life rocks
Tunze powerhead
Ro system for water

Welcome!! You got a great little tank off to a great start! It's very difficult to stare at an empty tank but remember patience is key, so don't rush your tank cycle. :) Great beginner Corals are zoas, Mushrooms (yumas are my favorite because you can watch them eat and they're bright and colorful), Duncans, and Acans. Stock light will support all these as well. I used to have the Fluval Evo 5g.

Back