New Reefer! Excited to get into this Hobby! Tips Appreciated!

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Going to uprated the light relatively soon. Just dropped a decent amount of money already so want to wait a bit haha.

You definitely got time! Once you set up the tank and start the cycling process, you have about a month before you even need a light since the cycling process is done with lights out. So you've got time to let your wallet recover. :D

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Lots of good advice already given. I agree with taking things slowly. Get decent test kits preferably not API. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Lots of good advice already given. I agree with taking things slowly. Get decent test kits preferably not API. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
Are there any you recommend that aren't a million dollars haha. I know you get what you pay for, but just dished out a good amount of money and probably won't get solid test kit until I recoup a bit of money. I know staying on too of water is key and a good test kit is a part of that, but any that aren't $100+?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. New to aquariums and reefing. I've been doing a ton of research for months before jumping into this. Seems like reef tanks are both easy and a pain in the butt.

I just purchased all of my equipment tonight which will be here by the end of the week.

Fluval Evo 13.5
Upgraded pump to Sicce
Reef glass protein skimmer
Got all of the biomedia
Got turbo start and algaebarn bundle
Life rocks
Arag alive special blend sand
Tunze powerhead
Ro system for water

Wondering if I'm missing anything first off? Second what are going to be my best corals for beginners/this tank (I will eventually upgrade the light, but not yet)?

Thanks in advance and look forward to being a part of this awesome community!

Welcome!

For corals, first figure out how well you can maintain your water parameters and where they settle in after 4-6 months. This will tell you more about types of corals suitable for you instead of just saying corals that your research has likely already told you.

One regret I have is not starting my build thread sooner so I have all my history. You are at an exciting time, and I'm sure you will look back at all this fondly.

Glad you joined.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!

Go slow.
Practice patience.
Don't dose any chems that you don't test for.
There's no magic in a bottle.
Research the animal before you buy it.

For starter coral, I would go with LPS. Hardy, a lot of variety, and prettier than your typical starter soft coral.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any you recommend that aren't a million dollars haha. I know you get what you pay for, but just dished out a good amount of money and probably won't get solid test kit until I recoup a bit of money. I know staying on too of water is key and a good test kit is a part of that, but any that aren't $100+?
I use Hannah for alkalinity and phosphate. Red Sea for Calcium and magnesium and nitrate. Salifert for ph. You can’t go far wrong with those three makes. When I started I used Salifert for everything as was cost effective for me. Get lfs To do test for you every now and again to compare values.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hannah for alkalinity and phosphate. Red Sea for Calcium and magnesium and nitrate. Salifert for ph. You can’t go far wrong with those three makes. When I started I used Salifert for everything as was cost effective for me. Get lfs To do test for you every now and again to compare values.
Yeah luckily I have a decent store like 15 minutes from me so was planning on doing that every once and a while. And I'll take a look at the brands you recommended. Of course I already have the API kits based off recommendations from others. I'm sure they're not perfect but got start somewhere.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
61400E29-3E21-472D-9B07-6BB2E165308B.gif

reefpunk707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in the area so you go for your lfs? Been trying to find some places in the area but so far there aren't a lot of choices. I had a fluval 13.5 for my first tank too! It will keep you set for a while even with the stock light. I was growing softies with it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back