New Reefer - Fish List (tell me I’m dumb or tell me it works)

Ricky J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strapping together my first SW tank and I’ve been composing my (at the time) fish list. The tank will be 4’ long, 22” deep and I believe 30” tall. Sand sediment and likely 90lbs or rock. I made up this list with things in mind such as what fish I would love to have and what has a utilitarian purpose as well. The fish list (for now) is as follows.

Pair of Purple Firefish

Pair of Royal Gramma Bassle

Couple of Azure Damselfish

Pair of Black Ice Clownfish

Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens), Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum), Convict Tang (Acanthurus triostegus), Bristletooth Whitetail (Cteno)
-Likely thinking 3 tangs (bring in the 5-0)

But I am still learning about these fishes behavior and needs really so I do value anyone’s personal experience with these fish or combinations of fish.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to go over your list individually:

1. Purple Firefish- Common wisdom has it Firefish are harder to keep in multiples than Dartfish of other genera. It may work out but it may not, and we aren’t sure what their sexual structure is (sequential hermaphrodites, or fixed sex, or simultaneous hermaphrodites). I’m not saying it can’t work out, but be sure to monitor and provide enough hiding spaces for each.

2. Royal Grammas- There’s debate over whether they are sequential hermaphrodites or fixed sex (gonochoristic). I would get two very small ones from Biota (or LiveAquaria sometimes has Captive Bred ones from RWU) and provide enough hiding spaces, a cave and overhang for each. And observe.

3. Clownfish- I’m not a fan of any designer Clowns, but hey it’s your tank. Get two small ones and have them sort it out.

4. I would recommend two Tangs at most, that’s just my opinion. I’m not a big Tang person but you could get away with say a Yellow, a White Tail, and the Convict as all three are small for Tangs with White Tail being the smallest. Purple IMO not a good idea in anything less than a 5’ tank, with 6’ and above being better. Even with these three Tangs I would say 5’ and above is better.

How about choose 2 of your fave Tangs (again, I wouldn’t recommend a Purple) and have a pair of dwarf angels instead?

You could also consider some wrasses. Smaller Fairy Wrasses and Halichoeres, and if you’re up for the challenge, Leopard Wrasses.

If Biota ever has them again, I’d be tempted to consider a Captive Bred Borbonius Anthias.

But then you’re talking to an angel guy so there’s no way I wouldn’t recommend at least a pair of angels in any tank. :)

If you can find one and pay for it, a deepwater butterfly like a Burgess, Mitratus, Tinker’s, Declivis or something like an Atlantic Longnose (Prognathodes Aculeatus) would be a nice add although this means you have to have the absence of aggressive tankmates for most butterflies to thrive. If they’re bullied even a little, you can expect them to stop feeding or not feed at all.

OP
OP
Ricky J

Ricky J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your comment about the clowns, get two small ones and let them figure it out lol. But good information as well, I’ve been thinking the same as far as mature size goes with the Tangs, I’ll have to continue doing more research for sure. Thank you!

OP
OP
Ricky J

Ricky J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed many people stray away from the designer clowns, is there a particular reason? Something I’m not away of about designers?

CryptQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find a mated pair of firefish then you should be fine, otherwise I wouldn't advise trying to keep two together in a tank that size. I tried it many years ago in a 90 gallon and kept finding one in the sump. I couldn't figure out why...cut to actually reading and doing my research, they hate each other (big duhhh moment for me).
I also wouldn't try a purple and yellow tang in a tank that size. It *might* work or the purple tang will kill the yellow tang. If you're dead set on getting a purple and a yellow tang then you will definitely need to have a trio of tangs in the tank as you have already said you would ideally like and you should introduce them at the same time for optimal success.

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow and purple in an 8’ fight all the time. It’s big enough that they have room to escape each other but I think in a 4’ one would be dead by now.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome. :) Honestly I think for a 4’ tank, I’d really only do a Bristletooth Tang. Tomini, White Tail, Squaretail or Kole (if you can find one), maybe some others from that family. You COULD get away with a Yellow Tang and people have done it successfully in 4’ tanks but IMO any non-Bristletooth Tang does best in tanks 5’ and longer, 6’ and longer better as Tangs are fairly active fish that constantly swim.
I’d be inclined to get a pair of dwarf angels, you have 2 routes to go about this:

1. Buy juvenile specimens, give plenty of hiding spaces and monitor for aggression.

2. Buy 1 larger one and a small one, and hope the larger one accepts the smaller one as the female relatively soon.

If I were you I’d look at a pair of Centropyge / Paracentropyge captive bred when Biota offers them. Because wild angels sometimes don’t do well and we don’t always get to buy juvenile fish.

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask what are the dimensions of your 8’ tank? How many gallons? And what do you have in it? I wouldn’t even think of having more than one Tang of any kind in a 4’ tank TBH.
It’s 8x2x2 240 gallon. Blue regal, Naso, sailfin, yellow and purple tang.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Strapping together my first SW tank and I’ve been composing my (at the time) fish list. The tank will be 4’ long, 22” deep and I believe 30” tall. Sand sediment and likely 90lbs or rock. I made up this list with things in mind such as what fish I would love to have and what has a utilitarian purpose as well. The fish list (for now) is as follows.

Pair of Purple Firefish

Pair of Royal Gramma Bassle

Couple of Azure Damselfish

Pair of Black Ice Clownfish

Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens), Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum), Convict Tang (Acanthurus triostegus), Bristletooth Whitetail (Cteno)
-Likely thinking 3 tangs (bring in the 5-0)

But I am still learning about these fishes behavior and needs really so I do value anyone’s personal experience with these fish or combinations of fish.
Will work. Make clowns and purple tang your last additions

Back