New reefer from souther California

TheAvilasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone my name is Jonathan. I’m new to the hobby , and currently trying to build a tank my daughter has been wanting very much .

I picked up a red sea max 250 , currently got the sand, rock , and filled her up today . Pumps seem to be working ok , but know they will need to be replaced soon. Skimmer turns on but I currently turned it off for startup . My main concern is the lighting , two of the bulbs don’t work and I’ve read those lights need upgrading due to the high heat output . Any recommendations would be appreciated . Also wondering if anyone has experience with the timer and schedule . My l Fs recommended I start the cycle process with the lights off .

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone my name is Jonathan. I’m new to the hobby , and currently trying to build a tank my daughter has been wanting very much .

I picked up a red sea max 250 , currently got the sand, rock , and filled her up today . Pumps seem to be working ok , but know they will need to be replaced soon. Skimmer turns on but I currently turned it off for startup . My main concern is the lighting , two of the bulbs don’t work and I’ve read those lights need upgrading due to the high heat output . Any recommendations would be appreciated . Also wondering if anyone has experience with the timer and schedule . My l Fs recommended I start the cycle process with the lights off .

Welcome! Glad you joined. Patience is the magic in this hobby, and many will suggest cycling without lights... takes self control too LOL

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Perris:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back