New reefer - I have a question on Plumbing - Pic Included

Ryan777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a S2 which was originally meant to push water through the UV filter above then cycle back in with the rest of the water with the main return pump (M2). My original plumbing was better but before I put fish in it, I opted to get a bigger tank from 3 feet to 4 feet. The guy plumbing the tank had to change the original layout we had and he did it all one night (up to 3am) even though he had the tank for 4 weeks. I didn't check the plumbing underneath when he delivered as I thought he just would use the same setup as before, but he changed it.

Question - Will the S2 pump be able to push the water through the UV filter without impedance from the M2? It looks like the M2 is going to push water up then it reaches the T junction. Water fill flow back through the UV filter pushing against the S2 weaker flow rate and no UV filtering will be done....? Is this plumbing job messed up and what can I do to fix it?

I don't know what to do here... help please.

-First pic is the right side of sump. Orange is Emergency Overflow back into the return pump. (Originally we had it in the first section with overflow)
- Left side of Sump
- Top Down
- Back of Aquarium

Plumbing.jpg Left Side of Sump.jpg Top view.jpg Back View.jpg

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV is in one end out the other & should only be serviced by 1 pump because there are flow rates to consider if you want it to operate correctly. To me it looks like each pump goes in on opposite ends.
If so the guy must have been asleep. Also, be mindful of that check valve they are frowned on by most.

OP
OP
Ryan777

Ryan777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is exactly what I see. Both pumps are connected at a T. The flow rate of the m2 will push more water back to the s2 and water won’t go anywhere.

I was thinking I could get a one way flow piece for this? Would that work? I could stick it right before the T junction. I am not good at plumbing but maybe there is something that would work.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is exactly what I see. Both pumps are connected at a T. The flow rate of the m2 will push more water back to the s2 and water won’t go anywhere.

I was thinking I could get a one way flow piece for this? Would that work? I could stick it right before the T junction. I am not good at plumbing but maybe there is something that would work.
Yeah, having him fix it. :cool: The way it is now, the pressure from the M2 would be fighting against the S2, preventing it from working properly. These pumps aren’t positive displacement, they can back flow if enough pressure is present on the outlet.

Regarding using a check valve, it’s not going to solve the problem because it has to overcome pressure of the M2 to open. They are frowned upon in the hobby because anything that grows or crawls or swims into it is enough to prevent it working. We have enough problem keeping the glass clear, let alone a valve seat buried in the back of the stand.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Ryan777

Ryan777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I am pretty sure he isn’t going to fix it. I live an hour and 20 mins away. I will give it a shot.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with these comments. Having pumps pushing water against each other just isn't going to work. Best case scenario is you'll have inconsistent flow through the UV.

Most normal case for this type of setup would be to have the UV outlet return back into the sump.

Another option would be assuming you have additional flow in your DT from wave makers. Why not just use the M2 and tee off the return to divert some flow back to the UV using a valve to control. An M2 for a4ft tank should be plenty of turnover to supply both. That way you have 1 less plug in use and a spare pump for which you'll definitely find good use as you expand your system.

Getting the plumbing right before you start is key.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thought of someone giving your business a very bad rating might persuade him to make the trip.

OP
OP
Ryan777

Ryan777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I drove the hour and 30 mins to his store for a heart to heart. I started with not with what I wanted but explained the issue with plumbing, and asked him for solutions. Without skipping a beat he said he could cut at one location and cap it. Then reroute the exit flow from the UV filter using the Vectra s2 back into the final sump area. I was ok with that.

When I think about having it go directly into the tank or recycling in the sump and the main return sending it up and out ... I figured it was going to mix with non UV filtered water anyways.

I added 2 reactors as well. One for Carbon and GFO to be run at a later point.

Thank you for responses. We can close this thread out.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 139 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 82 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.4%
Back