New reefer looking for a good tank

Solo Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been eyeing my first reef tank for about a year on and off and recently found this forum. After months of research, I think I'm finally ready to start my own piece of ocean. I've read that bigger is better in this case so I was thinking 150+ (any guidance here would be appreciated). One thing I haven't seen much info on is what brand tank? I've heard red sea has issues with leaking so I was looking at waterbox tanks. Thoughts? TIA

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome :) I've been happy with my sca 150 especially for the price but there are many great tanks & you will get many opinions

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Cade. If that's out of your price range, then look at a Red Sea (the past issues of leaking have been overblown, and Red Sea has since redesigned all of the tanks and stands to address this) - and Waterbox dead last.
Have there been issues with waterbox?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have there been issues with waterbox?
Just with overall quality control and attempting to get any issues addressed through customer service (and these are all recent issues). Red Sea has been very good with warranty issues (tanks and equipment, and this is speaking from recent experience.

OP
OP
S

Solo Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I was actually just looking at their website right before reading your post. Why does no one do canopies anymore?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does no one do canopies anymore?
Because we're always sticking our hands in the tank, so if you're going to do a canopy it needs to be one that can be either raised or opened for access - something most manufacturers don't seem interested in doing.

OP
OP
S

Solo Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because we're always sticking our hands in the tank, so if you're going to do a canopy it needs to be one that can be either raised or opened for access - something most manufacturers don't seem interested in doing.
Makes sense! I stopped by my LFS yesterday and they were selling a 210 Planet setup for a pretty good price. Are Planets any good?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back