New Reefer Looking For Advice

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are my thoughts:
  • Blue Hippo Tang - Notoriously unhealthy and can spread disease. Will need a bigger tank eventually
  • Wantanabe Angel - Good
  • 2 Clown Fish - Good
  • Purple fire fish, perhaps several? - Very shy and only really work in peaceful tanks
  • Orchid Dottyback - Aggressive, won't work with firefish
  • Perhaps a White Tail Kole Tang - Good
  • Would really love an eel, thinking about a ribbon eel - Not a good idea at all. Ill direct you to an eel thread about this.
  • Leopard Wrasse - Very sensitive, must make sure its eating before purchase
  • Yellow tang or similar alternative - Good
  • Pink Spotted Gobe - Good
  • Splattered mandarin - What blaxsun said, consider captive bred they're much easier.
Agreed on the hippo tang. In that size aquarium and disease magnet.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Agreed on the hippo tang. In that size aquarium and disease magnet.
You're about guaranteed to have ich one way or the other. If OP feeds heavy and keeps water quality good (UV sterilizer doesn't hurt) then there may never be an outbreak.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree on ALL ick comments. When I buy a fish (it's been 5 years now) I treat the fish for parasites. I treat the fish for bacterial infections. Does it have them. I don't know. I don't care. The point is my fish are healthy. NOTHING goes into my main display unless it goes into quarantine 1st. ANY fish the goes into the main display MUST survive medication/treatment. I have a FAT powder Blue, Fat Purple and Yellow Tang. I promise you, NO ICK! So it can and should be done. That's my view anyway.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree on ALL ick comments. When I buy a fish (it's been 5 years now) I treat the fish for parasites. I treat the fish for bacterial infections. Does it have them. I don't know. I don't care. The point is my fish are healthy. NOTHING goes into my main display unless it goes into quarantine 1st. ANY fish the goes into the main display MUST survive medication/treatment. I have a FAT powder Blue, Fat Purple and Yellow Tang. I promise you, NO ICK! So it can and should be done. That's my view anyway.
Would I need to build a smaller second tank to do that?

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I need to build a smaller second tank to do that?
Yes. I quarantine ALL my fish in a cheap 10-gallon tank. I buy plastic pipe from Home Depot. 2 inch sections. Then, I buy a hang on tank filter like a Hagen overflow. Here is the secret sauce. I put the sponge from the NEW filter in my main tank for a month and longer. Then, when I need it, I just start the pump with THAT sponge that was in the sump, and I have bacteria. If you can't do this, then you need to buy Fritz Turbo Start 900. That's gets the system going in about 24 hours. That's it. Cheap and a VERY effective.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole quarantine vs. no quarantine is a separate discussion. Both have been done successfully; both haven't.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back