*NEW REEFER* Quarantine Tank & Display questions

A&Aaquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you put anything in a quarantine tank with copper, you cannot use it in anything else pretty much right.? including wave makers, heaters, stuff of that sort
That is the general rule. And it is a good rule to follow.

Although I have reused equipment from a copper treated QT with zero issues.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what type of QT you envision using.
If you're planning on running copper, you're limited to the bacteria starter kits and ammonia.

If you plan on simply observing the fish for disease and or using medications that are not copper.... or even if you only plan to use copper if you see an issue... you might just buy a grapefruit sized piece of wet live rock from the LFS for your QT. Boom... it's cycled and you can watch your fish while your DT cycles for a month with dry rock.

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
63E5D829-34A9-4C8C-BA2A-156C035F07C1.jpeg
I got this off amazon, got my 40 gal. nuvo, is this gonna work for me in my sump?

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're planning on running copper, you're limited to the bacteria starter kits and ammonia.

If you plan on simply observing the fish for disease and or using medications that are not copper.... or even if you only plan to use copper if you see an issue... you might just buy a grapefruit sized piece of wet live rock from the LFS for your QT. Boom... it's cycled and you can watch your fish while your DT cycles for a month with dry rock.
avoiding putting live rock in any of my tanks.

Onajoyride

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also suggest an ammonia alert badge.
I use an ammonia absorbent sponge too so I can keep that ammonia as low as possible, it has helped a bunch when running a few tangs through qt. Also i highly suggest copper power as your copper of choice, do your own research as to why so your not taking a random guy on the internets advice:) hanna checker for copper and an airstone as some of the meds deplete oxygen in the qt. Just go camp out in the fish discussion section and read/youtube and you'll see the easy pitfalls to avoid. Hope this helps and welcome!

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also suggest an ammonia alert badge.
I use an ammonia absorbent sponge too so I can keep that ammonia as low as possible, it has helped a bunch when running a few tangs through qt. Also i highly suggest copper power as your copper of choice, do your own research as to why so your not taking a random guy on the internets advice:) hanna checker for copper and an airstone as some of the meds deplete oxygen in the qt. Just go camp out in the fish discussion section and read/youtube and you'll see the easy pitfalls to avoid. Hope this helps and welcome!

just a simple 10 gal. tank with pvc fittings and a sponge filter. that provides flow, surface for bacteria, and acts as an air stone. taking things slow so only 2-3 fish max in there at one time. don’t know what I’m doing for dosing yet, open to ideas.

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can one of y’all give me an example of what type of sponge filter and brand you are talking about for my QT tank? The ones I am looking at on Amazon are very basic and I just want to make sure I get the right thing.

fishheadreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told to get this and put it in media bags for use in my QT.
71MAwKqQ30L._SY879_.jpg

I have filled up just enough in the bags to put in the small filter that I have on my QT. I made three bags that I keep in my sump. After the QT has gone through its cycle I was told to put the fish in for at least 2 weeks and then once in the tank has been used once, take everything out and clean, clean, clean. This is just what I was told my my local shop. Any insight as to the practice? I was thinking that this might help with Reefjunkie28 post.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also add little pieces of rock/ceramic media from your sump to cycle the qt tank. Works very well and I usually cycle the tank for a month before getting fish. After medicating in qt, I toss the media
This. I see no reason to set up the DT and QT simultaneously. I like to set up the DT first and let it cycle. Keep the media for the QT in the sump (assuming you have a sump), then just add it to the QT when you are ready to set it up. I even use DT water to fill the QT. No cycle needed.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can one of y’all give me an example of what type of sponge filter and brand you are talking about for my QT tank? The ones I am looking at on Amazon are very basic and I just want to make sure I get the right thing.
Basic is all you need. A QT is really nothing more than a simple fish tank. All you are worried about it breaking down ammonia and nitrites. Any simple filter can do that, even one of those cheap sponge filters with an airstone.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a super simple QT. 20G with HOB filter that holds a sponge. It has room for other things so I can add carbon or other media. I leave the water level slightly low so that water from the HOB is like a waterfall and drops about 2” which creates aeration. Heater, ammonia alert badge, and two different size PVC tees. Hood has a built in LED strip for lighting which I only use for short periods of time.

I kick started the QT with half fresh water and half DT water from a water change day.

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic is all you need. A QT is really nothing more than a simple fish tank. All you are worried about it breaking down ammonia and nitrites. Any simple filter can do that, even one of those cheap sponge filters with an airstone.
That is what I thought but I just wanted someone to confirm it for me. I have a 10 gallon tank with a couple of pieces of PVC elbow in it so that they can hide. Right now I’m only planning on quarantining and not medicating unless the fish show signs of sickness. Thank you!

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. I see no reason to set up the DT and QT simultaneously. I like to set up the DT first and let it cycle. Keep the media for the QT in the sump (assuming you have a sump), then just add it to the QT when you are ready to set it up. I even use DT water to fill the QT. No cycle needed.
That’s a solid plan.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I thought but I just wanted someone to confirm it for me. I have a 10 gallon tank with a couple of pieces of PVC elbow in it so that they can hide. Right now I’m only planning on quarantining and not medicating unless the fish show signs of sickness. Thank you!
You're welcome I do the same thing. I put fish in QT to observe and treat if necessary. I don't follow strict protocols like some do.

OP
OP
ReefJunkie28

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick little update. I have begun cycling my tank now. soon after I get the bacteria established I will do a water change and fill my quarantine. will get first fish soon after

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back