new reefer question about cycling

thedougen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in new to saltwater and coming from freshwater.

tanks is about 10 days old on a dr.tims fishless cycle 40 gallon breeder with an aio fiji cube flow is about 1050gph with both pump and wave maker (no skimmer- no sump) back of cube has room for a refugium when needed( plan on using it when I add my fish) …. my plan is to add 1 dwarf lionfish and soft and lps corals in the future

temp- 79.2 - 79.7
salt- 1.026
kh- 11
nititre-- 3 ppm
amm.- 2.0
phos- 0.0 ppm
nitrate- 80 ppm
cal- 440
mag- 1450
ph- 8.7

i am starting to get a diatom bloom in my new tank....my question is when should I do a water change?...... or wait till ammo and nitrites hits zero?. and when to add a clean up crew

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're seeing nitrates climb causing algae issues, go ahead and do a big WC to knock it down. The nitrifying bacteria are not in the water column and won't be directly effected. You will need to make sure you have enough ammonia left to feed bacteria so check it afterwards. It will cost some in salt but to me it's better than algae.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still adding ammonia? With that high nitrates, surprised it's not cycled. A good definition is when 2 ppm ammonia is consumed in 24 hours. Just FYI.

Oh and going dark will help with algae as well. Light isn't needed to cycle. Mine was covered in brown paper for weeks until ready for fish. Good luck!

OP
OP
thedougen

thedougen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no I haven't added ammonia since I started the tank......was doing research I guess im in the ugly stage but still have ammonia and nitrites...so i was confused.....Ill check the water tomorrow and see if it falls to zero.....when I started the ammonia was at 4.0 ppm...….and don't diatoms start after the cycle is done?

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - lower your temp to 78F
Second - I don't believe that you'd be going through the "ugly stage" on your tank with with those parameters... please check your test kit and compare it to others as you are seeing ammonia and NO2 still in your water.
Question - did you get live rock or dry rock?

OP
OP
thedougen

thedougen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 40 lbs dry rock....with carib sea sand 20 lbs and 8 lbs of coral substrate......i just added rock frist then sand then water ....turned everything on and now im here thanks ....i run the lights too

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the tank cycle for another few weeks and then check your parameters. Wait until that ammonia and nitrite reach zero with readable nitrate readings and you'll be set!
No need for water changes or anything. Just make sure it is topped off (ATO or manually) to keep your normal water height before evaporation.

OP
OP
thedougen

thedougen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my nitrates are at 80 ppm right now

Picture 47.jpg Picture 48.jpg

OP
OP
thedougen

thedougen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tested ammonia today was 2.0 yesterday today is 1.0

Picture 49.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back