New Reefer - Red Sea Reefer 300 G2

RFGuy_KCCO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Just wanted to start a thread for the new reef tank I plan to build very soon. This is my first reef tank, but I have had a couple of FOWLR and dozens of freshwater tanks over the years. I have wanted a reef tank for 25+ years and I have decided to finally jump in head first. Below is my planned build for a mixed reef tank. Please feel free to give me any and all advice, especially any advice on my equipment choices. Thanks for your time.

• Aquarium
    • 65 gallons - 36"L x 22.6"W x 22"H with 1/2" glass – This is the largest tank and stand I can fit in my available space.
  • Sump
    • 15 gallons - 18.7"L x 18.5"W x 13.5"H
  • Filtration
    • Red Sea ReefMat 500
  • Return Pump
    • Sicce Syncra 7.0 – I like the IoTa connectivity with the Apex.
  • Powerheads
    • Sicce XStream SDC x2 – Again, I like that these use IoTa to talk to the Apex.
  • Lighting
    • Neptune SKY – I like the idea of a single fixture, instead of multiple.
  • Skimmer
    • Simplicity 240 DC – I chose this because it has good reviews and is reported to be quiet. Is this too much skimmer, given that I will also be using a ReefMat?
  • UV
    • Aqua Ultraviolet UV Sterilizer – 25W
  • ATO
    • Neptune ATK V2 ATO
  • Dosing Pump
    • Neptune DOS – Planning to dose A4R once I start adding corals.
  • ATO Reservoir
    • Innovative Marine Auqa Gadget 15 Gallon Hydrofill Reservoir – Needed a 10-15 gallon reservoir, due to regularly being out of town and I didn't want to worry about the ATO reservoir running dry with something smaller. Will have to sit next to the stand, so I wanted a reservoir that looked good.
  • Heater
    • BRS Titanium 100W x2 w/ Inkbird ITC-306a Wi-Fi Aquarium Temperature Controller
  • Controller
    • Apex Pro A3 w/ Temp, PH, ORP, Salinity, Liquid Level, and Leak Detection probes, Display, and Return Flow Meter
  • Organization
    • Red Sea 60cm Slide-Out Control Panel
  • RODI
    • BRS "8" Stage w/ 200 GPD water saver - Started with a BRS 4-stage and found I have lots of sediment and chlorine (but no chloramines, thankfully) in my city water, so I added two more stages (1 sediment and 1 carbon). I also found my city water comes from wells, so am burning through DI resin quickly (a cartridge lasts only about 300 gallons - I am getting a 7 TDS out of the RO), so I also added two more DI stages. Currently set up as: 5m sediment --> 1m sediment --> 1m carbon block --> 1m Chloroguard block --> RO membrane --> 3 stages mixed DI resin.
  • Salt
    • Red Sea blue bucket
  • Tank Cover
    • Top Lids custom screen lid
  • Rock
    • MarcoRocks dry rock – 80lbs
  • Sand
    • CaribSea AragAlive Special Grade – 40lbs
    • CaribSea Ocean Direct Original Grade - 20lbs

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RFGuy_KCCO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank, stand, and sump are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. So exciting!

I have already been making RO/DI water in preparation and am getting 0 TDS out of my 4-stage. However, I am seeing the mixed-bed DI is getting used up quickly. With only about 100gal of water made, so far, the DI is already about 1/3 used up. Water into the DI stage is at 8 TDS. Might have to look into adding another sediment filter and carbon block.

Last edited:

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting this tank going! Your setup is similar to what I started about 6 months ago but with a few choices that don’t always promote guaranteed success (sandbed vs bottomless, refugium or not, etc). I’ll definitely be following along to see your perspective.

You mentioned it but I do think I am over filtering with an oversized skimmer and replacing fleece mat every few days so something to consider with the roller mat and oversized skimmer. I’m trying to read any Nitrates at this point by running the skimmer only over night to help offset a large PH swing and keep some nutrients in the tank. Might even bump down my AWC to half the current weekly volume. I feel like you can find controls for nutrient levels and there is always just more input as well.

OP
OP
R

RFGuy_KCCO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting this tank going! Your setup is similar to what I started about 6 months ago but with a few choices that don’t always promote guaranteed success (sandbed vs bottomless, refugium or not, etc). I’ll definitely be following along to see your perspective.

You mentioned it but I do think I am over filtering with an oversized skimmer and replacing fleece mat every few days so something to consider with the roller mat and oversized skimmer. I’m trying to read any Nitrates at this point by running the skimmer only over night to help offset a large PH swing and keep some nutrients in the tank. Might even bump down my AWC to half the current weekly volume. I feel like you can find controls for nutrient levels and there is always just more input as well.
I decided to ditch the refugium. There really isn't room in my sump with the ReefMat and I don't really want a light escaping from my cabinet at night since the tank is in my living room. Instead, I'll just throw some live rock/rubble and Matrix in the sump.

Did the tank arrive?
It did! Getting everything set up now.
Oh cool - we're very similar. I'll be following along. I'm especially interested in your ATO solution there. FYI The A3 controller can do the temperature for you.
I know the Apex can control the heaters, but I am using the Inkbird for redundancy. That is also why I am using two under-sized heaters, instead of one correct size heater. I do not want the heaters to ever be the cause of a catastrophic loss of fish and corals, so I built in as much safety here as I could.

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to ditch the refugium. There really isn't room in my sump with the ReefMat and I don't really want a light escaping from my cabinet at night since the tank is in my living room. Instead, I'll just throw some live rock/rubble and Matrix in the sump.

It did! Getting everything set up now.

I know the Apex can control the heaters, but I am using the Inkbird for redundancy. That is also why I am using two under-sized heaters, instead of one correct size heater. I do not want the heaters to ever be the cause of a catastrophic loss of fish and corals, so I built in as much safety here as I could.
Any update on this? I am curios on the neptune sky and how you like it? I have a 250 and think I am going to change it from two RS 90's to the sky. You get enough spread on your 300? How did you mount it?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back