New Reefer S-1000 Build (210 Gal), Reefer 350 Upgrade.

OP
OP
TL1

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice build! I think its time for an update. I am very serious thinking of this tank.

question: is there wire pass through between the main sump and extra?
Thanks... It is indeed time for an update. I'll take some pics this weekend and make a post soon!

There is a cutout in the back upper corner of the middle piece. You can easiky get your hand or more through it. The stock plumbing goes through it to the right side return and emergency overflow.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... It is indeed time for an update. I'll take some pics this weekend and make a post soon!

There is a cutout in the back upper corner of the middle piece. You can easiky get your hand or more through it. The stock plumbing goes through it to the right side return and emergency overflow.
even with the plumbing you can get your hand through? I have the 650P love it. but really thinging about this for a FOWLR...I know not what most ppl would do but eh whay not.

is there anything you would have done differently on your build?

OP
OP
TL1

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even with the plumbing you can get your hand through? I have the 650P love it. but really thinging about this for a FOWLR...I know not what most ppl would do but eh whay not.

is there anything you would have done differently on your build?

Nothing wrong with a FOWLR! So many cool fish options.

I'll grab a photo of the pass through for you when I get home.

Things I would have done differently...
- Prewired APEX moonlight LEDs into my lighting mount. I may do this in the future, but it will be A LOT of work.
- It would be nice to have the skimmer auto-drain to sewer, but the cost outweighed the benefit.
- Slightly smaller heater. I got the 1000W Helio, which is awesome, but the amp draw causes warnings on my APEX.
- The peel and stick panduit I used for cable management in the sump area has not held. Perhaps epoxyed it in place rather than rely on the peel and stick.
- I really wish I could auto-test Nitrate and Phosphate, but I'm happy with the Trident over the alternative.
- I should have pre-routed additional tubing for dosing, if and when I decide to start.
- Hard piped the return from my UV loop.
- Larger pump for my UV loop. The SDC 9 maxes out at 1200GPH, which is a bit slow for the 40W UV.

I have a few things planned for the immediate future, but I will save those for an update.

-TL

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
when you get a chance and you give me the main sump skimmer/fuge dems. along with the height?
I am skimmer shopping as if I am getting it. ha

I did google it been have yet to find anything. I swore I saw it some where yesterday??
thanks man

OP
OP
TL1

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,
when you get a chance and you give me the main sump skimmer/fuge dems. along with the height?
I am skimmer shopping as if I am getting it. ha

I did google it been have yet to find anything. I swore I saw it some where yesterday??
thanks man

You'll have to convert from millimeters, but here is the file.

Pro tip - if you add "pdf" to your google search you will usually find the manuals and docs.

OP
OP
TL1

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220409_125319.jpg

OP
OP
TL1

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Tank is doing well. Had some fish disease issues, but things have since stabilized. Everything is pretty much running steady state.

I plan on trying to get my hands on a Reefmat in the near future.

Current Stocklist:
- Gem Tang
- Yellow Tang
- Whitetail Bristeltooth Tang
- Hippo Tang
- Coral Beauty
- Flame Hawk
- Solorensis Wrasse
- Ruby Head Wrasse
- Super Small Red Mandarin
- Shrimp Goby
- 4x Banggai Cardinal
- 2x Cleaner Shrimp
- 2x Fire Shrimp
- Short Spine Urchin
- Tiger Tail Cucumber
- Fighting Conch
- Snails on snails
- Halloween Hermit

Next Additions:
- Powder Brown Tang
- Black Ice Clownfish Pair
- McCosker's Wrasse
- Coral Banded shrimp

Photo Dump:

20220409_184741.jpg

20220409_183140.jpg
20220409_184940.jpg

20220409_184647.jpg
20220409_183529.jpg

20220409_185400.jpg

20220409_183627.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TL1

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks beautiful, but isn’t it an issue that the shades will block the spread of the lights?
Thank you!

They do block the spread. I've tried to be cognizant of that as I place corals. It only impacts the upper third or so of the aquarium (you can see it when the water get's dirty). I guess the pros outweigh the cons for now.

I've considered using the same corner pieces to span a single piece across the front and back, which would eliminate the issue, but I have had difficulty finding a piece of expanded PVC in that size.

I'll look a bit harder if I notice any significant impacts in the tank.

Good eye!

OP
OP
TL1

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I've updated this. I was struggling with some corals dying, so I sent out an ICP test. Turns out my Iron, Iodine, and Trace Elements were low. Currently working on getting them back in check before adding more coral.

In the meantime I added a Reefmat 1200. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Water is crystal clear and I never have to change a sock again.

I should be receiving some more fish from Dr Reef next week. I'll update again then.

20220527_082946.jpg

20220527_082923.jpg

OP
OP
TL1

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you going to deal with the chemistry issues? Dosing? Water changes?
I increased my water change daily volume up to 3gal/day. I also dosed RedSea Iron, Iodine, and Trace. Planning to send another ICP test in a week or so.

I'll continue to track and evaluate if automated dosing is worth the investment.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished scaping this week and starting to fill her up today! Going to work on the screen top later this evening.

The scape looks like a wall of rocks from afar, but it is actually very open. The back of the tank is free of rocks except for one small location on the right side of the overflow.

20211209_192523.jpg

20211209_192346.jpg

20211209_192420.jpg

20211210_235406.jpg

20211210_235437.jpg

20211210_235648.jpg
Very nice build, what sand do you use?

whitcory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi awesome work. What did you do to your tank to install the reefmat? Did you have to uninstall the built on sock holders. Or did you leave it? Thanks.

OP
OP
TL1

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi awesome work. What did you do to your tank to install the reefmat? Did you have to uninstall the built on sock holders. Or did you leave it? Thanks.
Thanks! I uninstalled the sock holders. It was easy, but tedious work. You need a special ultra thin knife. The Reefmat did not come with it, but my LFS lent me his. I don't know where you get them.

I put it on the right so I could maintain easy access to my skimmer.

whitcory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I was looking at the reefmat and almost got one but couldn’t figure out where it would fit. Sounds like I have to cut out that section. How do you like it so far? i would love to cut out having to clean those socks. Do you notice a difference really in your water quality?

OP
OP
TL1

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I was looking at the reefmat and almost got one but couldn’t figure out where it would fit. Sounds like I have to cut out that section. How do you like it so far? i would love to cut out having to clean those socks. Do you notice a difference really in your water quality?
Absolutely notice a difference. BTW that and carbon my water is crystal clear even when viewed across the 7ft of water. Love it.

Back