New Reefer WaterBox Mini Penn 25 loves to see what y’all think

LovestheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I just signed up for this forum and I have been out of the saltwater aquarium game for 15years. I recently purchased a WaterBox Mini Peninsula 25 gallon for my birthday in January from worldwide coral and staff member Dre was very helpful. The tank has been set up for a month. I just wanted to show the community and ask a few questions.

my current build is:
CaribSea live rock, 2 nano arches, 1 big Arch, 1 donut)
CaribSea live sand, Fiji Pink
No filter sock ( have 2 ordered in the mail, and have gone thru 3 already)
Carbon and filter pads that come with aquarium
(after watching a WaterBox video on YouTube they build a 15 and chose to leave out the bio balls since the aquarium will have plenty surface area on the rocks and sand)
Standard pump. I have been considering upgrading to a Sicce 1.0 or 1.5 surrounded by foam to reduce noise ( I have read on here they are very loud and this is in my bedroom)
AI Prime 16
AI Nero 3
Kraken Reefs Lid, Feeder box, overflow guard, and Nem guard for the Nero 3.
for cycle I using Dr.Tim’s reef cycle 2x with a clownfish, water was high in ammonia last week so I’ve been doing a lot of water changes. But the readings have straightened out.

I also use Seachem Prime, Clarity, Pristine, Stress guard and Brigthwell microbacter7

Currently the tank sits on my desk but I would like to put it on a stand. The stands at WWC cost 400 but I think there is one that would fit the tank currently in water boxes clearance section. Also any links on successful tank moving would be great.

inhabitants:
Small white bugs scurrying around the glass(this is from live sand I guess?)
Blood Shrimp
Small Clownfish
Pygmy Hippo tang, will probably be moved to a bigger tank in less than 6months depending on growth

I am very happy with this build and I hope y’all like it too.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my build and please if you have any suggestions or ratings I would love to know.
43BCCE38-B666-4160-9902-F290F9F2A9C5.jpeg
CC9DFD9C-C573-4C9E-ACEB-134CC9DB0FDA.jpeg
D6CC02AA-930A-4516-A26D-E7729229168A.jpeg
31F3AD60-6D7E-4729-9E2D-0B627842C9F9.jpeg
3D9FD02B-4C5B-41B5-AA0A-31A4EA54BDBE.jpeg
6CDEE3A0-ED4D-4933-8198-95CEA5143D7B.jpeg
DA9EC962-E2DE-4E4F-BB5E-1BC68C6F3F69.jpeg
BC500417-E275-47CC-9ACF-09324C7BE85D.jpeg
DC8BCC68-C822-437D-B9CB-FD09CC7FED6E.jpeg
770A27CB-392C-4AA1-ABC1-DB041A20967A.jpeg 61105009-AAFD-405B-9BB0-A53CF86FDFE2.jpeg 98981F17-C839-4789-B99E-A09F23DAD1E7.jpeg 461734EF-8AB4-4C66-9674-020DB97CF811.jpeg FDF76209-1DF4-4E4D-AE48-2A51BE2B5694.jpeg 07D361B1-77BE-4852-8670-337286673D5B.jpeg 0A1E0633-5AAA-4FD9-AF2A-55C52264C956.jpeg A2870859-DB77-46CD-839B-F2912D553ADB.jpeg EFDD72C5-16E4-4F49-AF81-75C91A4E2D48.jpeg

OP
OP
L

LovestheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a beautiful Zoa today that I got from my local fish store for only $10

Attachments

• 463FB11C-BD76-4169-82B5-CF1A4EE34C50.jpeg
    463FB11C-BD76-4169-82B5-CF1A4EE34C50.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 9FB09BD5-1692-40D2-824B-F66FE38DA41D.jpeg
    9FB09BD5-1692-40D2-824B-F66FE38DA41D.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 1E46509F-3309-4BE3-A887-043EFBE6DFCE.jpeg
    1E46509F-3309-4BE3-A887-043EFBE6DFCE.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3346.MOV
    6.6 MB

ReeferBoi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! Ours are pretty similar. I highly highly recommend getting the InTank media basket. You can ditch the socks and just cut filter floss that’s super cheap. I change mine out every 2-3 days. I’m also using the Sicce 1.0 and the noise reduction is so worth it.

Unfortunately stands are so overpriced for what they are. The stand I have was $92 on Amazon but it’s not available anymore sadly.

OP
OP
L

LovestheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not familiar with the in tank media basket but I know the company kraken reef makes something similar. I look at my local stores and don’t really see like filter that I assume would look like cotton balls? Lol I’m still learning. But yea getting this WaterBox was a dream come true. And it amazing how much things have changed in the industry.

OP
OP
L

LovestheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard so many mixed reviews about the sicce 1.0. It’s a far price but with ppl reporting the loudness issues. I figured I’d concoct something with foam. Also I am considering a nano protein skimmer from either Tunezz or eshopps but I have never owned one before and the same in the back is very compact.

OP
OP
L

LovestheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you mean you've gone through 3 filter socks?
They just get full man. And the waterflow sucks after a few days. Like the filter chamber sock chamber in the back gets full almost to the top, the middle filter pad chamber water level goes down, and the return chamber is down to. I’ve tried all kinds of stuff like washing the filters. I have like a super heavy duty sink in my garage. So I clean it there and just by blasting the faucet I can tell how viscous the filter membrane has become. To clean it, I rub the filters together under the water. Try to clean it with itself, since I don’t want to containment it. Finally 2 more filter socks out for delivery today. WaterBox 2.75inch, 225 micron felt filter socks. I did see how filter floss yesterday at a fish store in Tampa. So I’ll probably get the filter cup from kraken reef and use filter floss. Or order like 10 filter socks today idk what to do in regards to the filter socks.

Revnobody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are off to a great start! I would agree with ReeferBoi and suggest the InTank media basket. I find it way more convenient to just toss the filter pad rather than wash socks. And as a bonus, it gives you a place to run other media as needed.

I guess I got lucky as the return pump that came with my WB is dead silent.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start! looks like you have been steered in the right direction! I have the 15g Mini Peni and absolutely love it.

I’m not familiar with the in tank media basket but I know the company kraken reef makes something similar. I look at my local stores and don’t really see like filter that I assume would look like cotton balls? Lol I’m still learning. But yea getting this WaterBox was a dream come true. And it amazing how much things have changed in the industry.
I am currently waiting on my Kraken Reef media cup to arrive. Being a fair amount cheaper than the InTank, it was an obvious choice for me over socks. If you are running a couple other types of media, the InTank would be ideal as it has shelves to hold media bags.
I purchase my filter floss from amazon once a quarter. Just comes in a big ole roll. I use it on two of my 3 tanks as of right now. Easy as chopping the size I need and slapping it in. I HATE socks.

I’ve heard so many mixed reviews about the sicce 1.0. It’s a far price but with ppl reporting the loudness issues. I figured I’d concoct something with foam. Also I am considering a nano protein skimmer from either Tunezz or eshopps but I have never owned one before and the same in the back is very compact.
I have both the 0.5 and 1.0. The Sicce pumps were a fair amount quieter than my stock return. I think there are some bad eggs in each (stock and Sicce) that just happen to be loud. I did make sure, however, that my pump was not touching the walls at all. It did transfer vibrations when I first put it in and touching the chamber walls.

Keep it up! You are well on your way! Following for sure. I love these WB Peninsulas.

OP
OP
L

LovestheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are off to a great start! I would agree with ReeferBoi and suggest the InTank media basket. I find it way more convenient to just toss the filter pad rather than wash socks. And as a bonus, it gives you a place to run other media as needed.

I guess I got lucky as the return pump that came with my WB is dead silent.
Thank you, it’s certainly a work in progress, may seem a bit rushed but I’m very diligent in making sure I’m doing as safely as possible. I’ll certainly check that out. My return pump from WB is great and it is fairly quiet. I just wonder if it’s pulling enough water compared to the the Sicce’s and if that would help with the water level issues in the back of the AIO.

OP
OP
L

LovestheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start! looks like you have been steered in the right direction! I have the 15g Mini Peni and absolutely love it.

I am currently waiting on my Kraken Reef media cup to arrive. Being a fair amount cheaper than the InTank, it was an obvious choice for me over socks. If you are running a couple other types of media, the InTank would be ideal as it has shelves to hold media bags.
I purchase my filter floss from amazon once a quarter. Just comes in a big ole roll. I use it on two of my 3 tanks as of right now. Easy as chopping the size I need and slapping it in. I HATE socks.

I have both the 0.5 and 1.0. The Sicce pumps were a fair amount quieter than my stock return. I think there are some bad eggs in each (stock and Sicce) that just happen to be loud. I did make sure, however, that my pump was not touching the walls at all. It did transfer vibrations when I first put it in and touching the chamber walls.

Keep it up! You are well on your way! Following for sure. I love these WB Peninsulas.
Thanks you for very for your time writing the review and looking things over. I had read about the floss and but I had no idea I would be replacing socks like this. And even tho I’m only in Tampa bay, a few hours from WaterBox and WWC Hq it takes ridiculous long time to get the socks. Def gonna switch to the filter floss. What do you guys think about the Kraken Lid. Imo it the tank looks much nicer without the lid on top. I originally ordered it because the household is shared with 3 cats. But they could care less about the fish. The baddest one drank the water one time, that’s it. Also fish jumping was a concern. But the no lid look is so clean.

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I have a PM 15 and wondering how you like the powerhead in that location? Most, including me, have it on the false wall blowing out. I'm interesting in experimenting w/ the flow pattern so wondering if the flow perpendicular to the return is better.

Also, I have the Kraken cup mentioned by @Hasted earlier. I like it. I only use it for filter floss on occasions. Fits like a glove. Can also be used to stack other filtration options too.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you for very for your time writing the review and looking things over. I had read about the floss and but I had no idea I would be replacing socks like this. And even tho I’m only in Tampa bay, a few hours from WaterBox and WWC Hq it takes ridiculous long time to get the socks. Def gonna switch to the filter floss. What do you guys think about the Kraken Lid. Imo it the tank looks much nicer without the lid on top. I originally ordered it because the household is shared with 3 cats. But they could care less about the fish. The baddest one drank the water one time, that’s it. Also fish jumping was a concern. But the no lid look is so clean.

I have a custom acrylic lid on my main tank from Clearview lids. Even though I do like the rimless look better, custom lids are the next best thing. I started with eggcrate. Yuck.

I have fish that will jump if no lid. Could be tomorrow, could be a year from now. Never know and I won't risk losing $40+ fish I have been taking care of. If you carefully plan your livestock, you may be able to get away with no lid. Since you already have one, though... Seems like money well spent and might as well use it to it's fullest.

My question is, does that green feeder cup have a "not in use" attachment that isn't green? I am about to get a Kraken for my 15g, but not a fan of having the feeder cup in 24/7 if possible. All my equipment kinda blends in, so a clear acrylic ring to cover the hole would be best.

I don't have the Kraken media cup yet, as mentioned. Until then, I have been cutting perfectly sized squares to fit on top of where the sock would be. I left the square sock holder and just plop it on top. Water comes through the weir and into the floss. That's an option if you want to keep using some sort of filter that isn't the socks. It backs up QUICK if your tank is dirty. Rotate it 90 degrees as it gets dirty. Then replace. If you have an ATO you may overflow some if you are not mindful. Have I mentioned that I hate socks?

OP
OP
L

LovestheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wait until you have that 6' tank you always dream of. Good luck mate
Hahahaa I had a 55 gallon rectangular tank that was maybe around 3-4feet long of saltwater many years. I'll certainly build up to it. The hobby has progressed a long way, much more advanced.

OP
OP
L

LovestheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a custom acrylic lid on my main tank from Clearview lids. Even though I do like the rimless look better, custom lids are the next best thing. I started with eggcrate. Yuck.

I have fish that will jump if no lid. Could be tomorrow, could be a year from now. Never know and I won't risk losing $40+ fish I have been taking care of. If you carefully plan your livestock, you may be able to get away with no lid. Since you already have one, though... Seems like money well spent and might as well use it to it's fullest.

My question is, does that green feeder cup have a "not in use" attachment that isn't green? I am about to get a Kraken for my 15g, but not a fan of having the feeder cup in 24/7 if possible. All my equipment kinda blends in, so a clear acrylic ring to cover the hole would be best.

I don't have the Kraken media cup yet, as mentioned. Until then, I have been cutting perfectly sized squares to fit on top of where the sock would be. I left the square sock holder and just plop it on top. Water comes through the weir and into the floss. That's an option if you want to keep using some sort of filter that isn't the socks. It backs up QUICK if your tank is dirty. Rotate it 90 degrees as it gets dirty. Then replace. If you have an ATO you may overflow some if you are not mindful. Have I mentioned that I hate socks?
Cutting the filter Media into a square is a great idea. Thank you for that. I have some closer pictures of the lid cap and feeder cup. Basically when the lid is on with no feeder cup u can put on the lid cap. But when the feeder cup is in, the lid cap is not snug but you can put it on top and it just like sits there.

Attachments

• 96137810-1CF8-41E4-BB5C-6211485E9CEB.jpeg
    96137810-1CF8-41E4-BB5C-6211485E9CEB.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 0832D5ED-0C5F-4D7A-9CC9-1B13B4B51EEE.jpeg
    0832D5ED-0C5F-4D7A-9CC9-1B13B4B51EEE.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 29B4F92A-FE9B-4D47-9568-78EA6F460DBF.jpeg
    29B4F92A-FE9B-4D47-9568-78EA6F460DBF.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 58

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back