New Reefer

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice clowns, they look healthy to me! Some sort of ocellaris maybe snowflake ocellaris.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck finding springeri or azures damsels at petco though, my petco doesnt ever carry them, they mostly have the more basic saltwater fish near me

OP
OP
S

Stonefish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually the bubbles will die and it wont overflow if there is nothing in the tank. This can occur during break in though and you can just let it run overnight with the collection cup off of it so the water just falls straight back into the sump. After break in it will stop overflowing
It's been running since yesterday and it's still bubbling and overflowing like crazy. I have the water level exactly where the manufacturer suggests and on the lowest air level.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you havent, open the water valve all the way, you shouldnt really be concerned right now with correct water level inside the protein skimmer as much as getting it to break in right now.

OP
OP
S

Stonefish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you havent, open the water valve all the way, you shouldnt really be concerned right now with correct water level inside the protein skimmer as much as getting it to break in right now.
I opened it all the way. Its really going crazy now.

JKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stonefish1, I started my Reefer 250 with an RSK-300 skimmer and I remember it overflowing in a significant way when I first started using it. Finally raised it up so it was sitting in less water, let the hose drain back into the sump, and let it run till it had a chance to break in. I don't remember specifically, but I think it was 7-10 days before it calmed down some.

Nice tank and good luck. Lots of very nice folks here with great advise.

Joe

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome! Your bacteria shouldn't be gone, but like others have said, feed the tank. As the food breaks down it'll be converted into Nitrates. If you see ammonia or nitrite just keep feeding a little bit at a time until there's only nitrates.

OP
OP
S

Stonefish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stonefish1, I started my Reefer 250 with an RSK-300 skimmer and I remember it overflowing in a significant way when I first started using it. Finally raised it up so it was sitting in less water, let the hose drain back into the sump, and let it run till it had a chance to break in. I don't remember specifically, but I think it was 7-10 days before it calmed down some.

Nice tank and good luck. Lots of very nice folks here with great advise.

Joe
That's the same skimmer that came with my system. I raised it up so the water level is in the center of the red water level mark. I'll do like you said and just give it time to settle in. Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
S

Stonefish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been six weeks since I set up my tank. I did a 20gl water change yesterday. Everything is looking good and the two clowns are looking great. My PH is still only 7.8 or a little less...hard to determine looking at the color chart. One thing I have noticed is that I haven't gotten any algae growth at all. Just about everything I have read online talks about the ugly stage of the cycling process. Did I just do a good job of cycling the tank or am I just fooling myself and the algae is yet to come. I have had my lights on about 40% intensity and all colors around 35% for 10hrs since I set the tank up. Skimmer still going crazy.

OP
OP
S

Stonefish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has now been going for 6 weeks. I did a 28% water change and added two clown fish 5 days ago and they are eating and looking good. I have fed them everyday so far. I have had my 2 radion xr15 pros different colors running between 35% and 40% for 10hrs since I set the tank up.
My readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all 0 today, but PH seems to just stay around 7.8. My questions are: Shouldn't the PH be higher and why have I not gotten any algae yet (the ugly stage)? Also, is it too soon to add another fish?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is a bit low but not too bad, what are you using to measure pH? how is alkalinity in the tank?
I would also wait another week or 2 until you add another fish IMO

OP
OP
S

Stonefish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is a bit low but not too bad, what are you using to measure pH? how is alkalinity in the tank?
I would also wait another week or 2 until you add another fish IMO
Using API to test ph and I haven't got anything to test alkalinity yet. I was told I didn't have to worry so much about alkalinity for awhile. I am going to get one of the hanna alkalinity testers soon though.

OP
OP
S

Stonefish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using API to test ph and I haven't got anything to test alkalinity yet. I was told I didn't have to worry so much about alkalinity for awhile. I am going to get one of the hanna alkalinity testers soon though.
And skimmer is still going crazy overflowing.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B
I went to my LFS and found these two guys for $35 each. Buy the way the only LFS around me within 100 miles is Petco (that sucks). But they looked like they were in good shape and I dipped them in Safety Stop before adding them to the tank. The store had no idea what kind of clown fish the were. They have been in my tank now for about 2.5 hours and are swimming all over the place and eat quite abit.
Clown Fish.jpg
Bottom guy looks like he has been bitten by a shark white/orange top guy by a grandad toothless (1 tooth)

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And skimmer is still going crazy overflowing.
hopefully that stops soon, pH should be fine, i wouldnt be concerned until it was like 7.6 on the api pH kit. I dont advise using buffers without a proper alk test kit as buffers usually increase alk a lot

OP
OP
S

Stonefish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully that stops soon, pH should be fine, i wouldnt be concerned until it was like 7.6 on the api pH kit. I dont advise using buffers without a proper alk test kit as buffers usually increase alk a lot
I was thinking of using the BRS 2 part. When should I start dosing?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt start dosing until you start testing for those parameters, could do more harm than good. Testing will show how much to dose a day. I like using 2 part from BRS but mixing is a little hard without proper jugs, Tropic marin all for reef seems to be a good all in one solution once you start getting corals. If/when dosing with a dosing pump, i find 2 part super easy to use on its own. The alkalinity part of 2 part needs to go into a super high flow area or precipitation will occur.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back