New Research: Amino acids and coral health or 'why some corals are sesntive'

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Just posted another video discussion of a very cool (IMHO) paper on coral biology

Here is the link to the paper
Comparative genomics reveals the distinct evolutionary trajectories of the robust and complex coral lineages. Ying et al. Genome Biology 2018 https://doi.org/10.1186/s13059-018-1552-8

Essentially, coral taxonomists recognize two groups of stoney corals; NOT SPS vs LPS like we often think, but Complex vs Robust Stoney corals. It is known that some complex corals, like Acropora are much more 'delicate' or 'sensitive', both in the wild (i.e. coral bleaching), and in your tank (RTN, STN).

So this group decide to get some traction into understanding why robust corals are... well robust... while complex corals are more delicate. They did so by sequencing the genome (=collection of DNA) from a few robust corals and compared them to the genome of complex corals. While the authors found MANY differences, once thing caught my attention in particular. It relates to the ability of complex corals to synthesize some amino acids...

While the results are far from being 'practical', I think they are really cool and possibly leave open the possibility of some targeted application in the hobby.

Have a look and let me know what you think!

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to the 9 minute mark

Try using notes or a script next time

Switching and correcting from robust to simple to lps then back again. I couldn’t take it anymore. My head literally hurts.

I can tell you know your stuff. But I have a head ache now.

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Just posted another video discussion of a very cool (IMHO) paper on coral biology

Here is the link to the paper
Comparative genomics reveals the distinct evolutionary trajectories of the robust and complex coral lineages. Ying et al. Genome Biology 2018 https://doi.org/10.1186/s13059-018-1552-8...

hi @tenurepro, it's amazing your video didn't get much traction here on r2r, what a bunch of looneys lol. i've watched it at least 10 times :p

so have you tried dosing histidine in trace amounts? i'm debating on trying it, but need to consider 100 or so acro frags and their outcome, what do you think? ;Cat ;Cat ;Cat

being just an essential amino acid, what could it hurt?

OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) thanks! I haven’t tried histidine dosing on its own yet, mostly because I haven’t been able to source just histidine at a reasonable price. Thanks for the link! I can’t seeing it hurting anything.

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we started auto-dosing l-histidine. initial kickoff dose of 4 micromols per liter, with maintenance dose of 30.85 mg per day into approx 2,460 liters of system volume. will update if there are any noticable changes. ;Clown ;Clown ;Clown

@tenurepro where is your red sea video? haha

Last edited:

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 or 3 weeks in, bam ;Clown

nice red sea trip @tenurepro im gonna buuuug my brother to edit his raja ampat stuff

20191016_224727.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
tenurepro

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we started auto-dosing l-histidine. initial kickoff dose of 4 micromols per liter, with maintenance dose of 30.85 mg per day into approx 2,460 liters of system volume. will update if there are any noticable changes. ;Clown ;Clown ;Clown

@tenurepro where is your red sea video? haha
cool! noticing any thing different ? Are you just dosing the histidine or are using it in conjunction with another amino acid supplement!

sorry for the slow response - ever sense the forum went off tapatalk, i find myself checking it less regularly

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Start at 7 mins if your in a hurry. So basically another reason to keep no3 and po4 not zero. This way acropora can systhesize histidine at all times.

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool! noticing any thing different ? Are you just dosing the histidine or are using it in conjunction with another amino acid supplement!

sorry for the slow response - ever sense the forum went off tapatalk, i find myself checking it less regularly

we went hist only... yes we noticed things are progressing nicely. we dialed it back recently tho, 2 of our torches exploded or something like that lol!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back