New research on how Clownfish avoid stings from anemones

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this paper on one aspect of how Percula Clownfish avoid being stung by their host anemones was really interesting. It tuns out, one thing they do (perhaps amongst others) is change the bacterial composition of their skin - while the anemone is doing the same thing at the same time. This change happens very quickly, within about 15 minutes of just being near the anemone in the water. There's no direct contact needed for this to happen - it's all chemical triggers floating around in the water being picked up by specific bacteria in the mucus coating of both the clownfish and the anemone.

The paper is open access - check it out! It's pretty heavy on genetics, but you can skip that part and you won't miss much. The authors also included a really nice little abstract in video form, so you can get the info from the authors (or watch my video :D).

There's so much going on with our fish, new discoveries like this are happening all around us. Give your clownfish a bit of extra attention today - they're interesting creatures even though we often think of them as "starter fish".

Microbiomes of clownfish and their symbiotic host anemone converge before their first physical contact. Microbiome 9, 109 (2021).
Émie, AG., François-Étienne, S., Sidki, B. et al.
https://doi.org/10.1186/s40168-021-01058-1

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting paper, thanks. I had always thought clowns also protected anemones from predation by butterflyfish, but they didn’t mention that...
Jay

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, they're territorial so I wouldn't doubt that they'd protect their host anemones. This paper was specifically looking at how they avoid being stung though, not other behaviors.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back