New RO/DI Filter

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just unboxed my new Liqua Gen 4Stage Space Saver filter system. Before i go any farther thought i would ck with you guys to see if there is anything i should or should not do. First thing that comes to mind is since it’s going to be a portable system should i leave the water in between filtering or drain it. Especially want to hear from anybody that has this or has had this system. I’m sure there is a lot of knowledge out there that would help me. Thanks
C063FEB1-6EE1-433E-9CBC-625BDEB61C60.jpeg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Store it wet in a cool place until next use. Prior to disconnecting and after reconnecting flush the membrane for a few gallons to prolong membrane life. If it's going to unused for some time (weeks/months) it's recommended to remove the membrane it and put it in ziploc bag with some DI water and store in fridge. That said...I've never done that and gone a month without using it.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to run new filters for a few gallons to get any debris out from manufacturing/shipping. Setup the system and then unplug the line going from the first filter (sediment) to the second filter (carbon) and let it run for a few gallons. Do the same for the line from the carbon to the RO membrane and then from the membrane to the DI. Also a good idea to invest in a handheld di tester. You can get them for about $20. You will need this to track your tds coming out of the DI and also it is good to test tds from the RO membrane a few times a year to make sure it is still performing.

SeaSickness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the water in the unit between uses.
Also depending upon your water pressure, you might want to get a booster pump. They really improve the efficiency of the RO/DI system.

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to run new filters for a few gallons to get any debris out from manufacturing/shipping. Setup the system and then unplug the line going from the first filter (sediment) to the second filter (carbon) and let it run for a few gallons. Do the same for the line from the carbon to the RO membrane and then from the membrane to the DI. Also a good idea to invest in a handheld di tester. You can get them for about $20. You will need this to track your tds coming out of the DI and also it is good to test tds from the RO membrane a few times a year to make sure it is still performing.
how do you know when to change filters, do you change fifferent filters at different times

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most units have clear canisters. You know when the sediment is dirty and carbon is used up. The DI resin is usually colored so you know when it changed color, its done. With your unit you will have to measure your TDS and when it gets to be greater than 1 you change out all but the RO filter

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no flow restrict or, paperwork says new technology doesn’t need flushing, a delotus carbon filter

It would have to have a flow restrictor and as far as not needing flushing that sounds like marketing BS. I would not believe that. With out a flow restrictor all the water would go out of the waste line or at least most of it.

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most units have clear canisters. You know when the sediment is dirty and carbon is used up. The DI resin is usually colored so you know when it changed color, its done. With your unit you will have to measure your TDS and when it gets to be greater than 1 you change out all but the RO filter
just ordered a tds tester, thanks

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just unboxed my new Liqua Gen 4Stage Space Saver filter system. Before i go any farther thought i would ck with you guys to see if there is anything i should or should not do. First thing that comes to mind is since it’s going to be a portable system should i leave the water in between filtering or drain it. Especially want to hear from anybody that has this or has had this system. I’m sure there is a lot of knowledge out there that would help me. Thanks do any of you guys have this particular unit, i am reading mixed reviews on google

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just unboxed my new Liqua Gen 4Stage Space Saver filter system. Before i go any farther thought i would ck with you guys to see if there is anything i should or should not do. First thing that comes to mind is since it’s going to be a portable system should i leave the water in between filtering or drain it. Especially want to hear from anybody that has this or has had this system. I’m sure there is a lot of knowledge out there that would help me. Thanks
do any of you guys have this specific unit, i am getting mixed reviews on google

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often do you flush and why?

Depends on how the terminology is being used. Many now refer to it as a by-pass to the di unit. When you start up the unit each time, there is what is called "tds creep" which means the product water coming from the ro unit will be very high in tds. The flush kit allows you to divert this water from the di canister to the waste line so you are subjecting the di to this high tds water. You divert it for a few minutes until the ro membrane has returned to normal production and then switch it back to the di canister.
If flush kit is referring to flushing the ro membrane, then in my opinion and many others, this is just useless at the consumer level. Until there is some proof that it actually works, I'm not wasting time and water on it.

The rule of thumb for replacing filters is every 6ish months for the sediment and carbon filters. Replace the di once your tds is more than 0. Replace the ro membrane when it no longer meets your personal efficiency threshold. Most are rated at 95% or better. Mine is currently working at 99%. I will probably replace it once it gets to 98%. To calculate your efficiency, you need to know your tap water tds and then your tds after the ro membrane but before the di. My tap is 450 and my tds after the membrane is 4, so I'm looking at .9% of the tds being left. That means it is running at 99.1% efficiency.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do any of you guys have this specific unit, i am getting mixed reviews on google

While I can’t speak for that brand of filter I have ran an RO/DI buddie which is pretty much the same thing. The problem with this type of filter in general is it won’t last long but what do you expect for $50. Just expect to be replacing the filters more then a pricey unit.

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this system and added a di bypass as Opus described, but no other flushing mechanism.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back