New Rock into display tank question

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been cycling 20 pounds of dry rock in a Brute trash can for a few weeks. My ammonia is now at 0, Nitrite 0 but my nitrate are around 160. I know usually a water change is needed at the end to drop down the nitrates. Can I just take the rocks out of the trash can and put into the display tank without any complications or should I reduce nitrates in the can and then place them In display. I don’t want to do anything dumb to mess up the cycle. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

863D8A31-62C2-4258-94AD-AE45B31CB4CA.png

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put it in until its running clean in the trash can. Change the water 100% and let it sit, then see what kind of readings you get. I've had bad experiences with stuff leaching out of rock. Have you tested the water for phosphates? That's also an issue you don't want to deal with in a DT.

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your data your nitrates went from 5 ppm to 160ppm in just 24 hours!!! thats a huge jump so fast, did you add anything to it??? but then again it is a smaller body of water, If you are worried that its going to mess up the display just be patient and fix the issues within the trash can once you see the nitrate stabilize for a week or so then begin to add the rock to the display slowly maybe one rock a day or every other day heck maybe even 1 rock per week into the tank that way you can also monitor the change in the display caused by the rock if any...as opposed to adding all the rock at once and it maybe disturbing the parameters in the DT

Littlefishbursalı

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you increase your anaerobic bacteria. With denitrification, you get rid of nitrate. speed up your bacteria with any carbon source.

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your data your nitrates went from 5 ppm to 160ppm in just 24 hours!!! thats a huge jump so fast, did you add anything to it??? but then again it is a smaller body of water, If you are worried that its going to mess up the display just be patient and fix the issues within the trash can once you see the nitrate stabilize for a week or so then begin to add the rock to the display slowly maybe one rock a day or every other day heck maybe even 1 rock per week into the tank that way you can also monitor the change in the display caused by the rock if any...as opposed to adding all the rock at once and it maybe disturbing the parameters in the DT
Nothing was added to the Brute can other then just dr Tim ammonia and bio spira at beginning. The main tank is completely empty just new saltwater. I started cycling in the trashcan because my tank was delayed arriving.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back