NEW RODI System issue/question

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I used a new RO for the first time yesterday with all new filters, DI, etc and started with a 450cc restrictor. TDS input of the DI was and is at 4. Output of the DI yesterday was at 0 for the 30 gallons I made. Today. the input is at 4 to the DI but the output is now at 1 after just 30-40 gallons. Also, I noticed the DI resin turned brown all the way up to the top. Is that all normal? Is TDS output 1 ok?

Also, I do have well water with a Water Softener installed.

Do I need to be concerned with the TDS 1 value?

Thanks

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Its highly likely you have high co2.

How many stages do you have?
2 DI carts or one?

I would suggest trying to airate your water after it comes out of the RO (run the tubing into a bucket or brute can)
Let it sit with a large airstone and a pump aimed at the surface over night.
Then use a small pump like an mj1200 with a 1/2" to 1/4" quick connect fitting and attach it to your tubing that pumps through your resin.

The tds might go back down to 0 again if the resin isnt completely shot.
If not, replace your resins and try it this way from now on. I went from exhausting both DI carts in 100 gallons or less to now i havent even reached 1tds on my 1st stage and im way over 400 gallons on these resins :)

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 DI carts or one?

I would suggest trying to airate your water after it comes out of the RO (run the tubing into a bucket or brute can)
Then use a small pump like an mj1200 with a 1/2" to 1/4" quick connect fitting and attach it to your tubing that pumps through your resin.

If not, replace your resins and try it this way from now on. I went from exhausting both DI carts in 100 gallons or less to now i havent even reached 1tds on my 1st stage and im way over 400 gallons on these resins :)
Hi Saltyreef..it is a single DI cartridge although I may now upgrade once I resolve the problem...so are you suggesting that I skip the DI on the first pass and take the output of the RO once water has gone through the sediment, carbon and RO..aerate, and force into the DI with the powerhead(I do have a MP1200 so that helps..

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you need is to seperate your resins.
There are two resins.
Cation and Anion.
With one canister you have what they call mixed bed.
Thats both resins blended, in one 10 inch canister.

Anion is always used up faster. 2-3 times more.
So you will go through a lot of mixedbed this way. Throwing away good Cation every time.

If you get a three canister system you can have one filled with each of the resins separately. The proper order is first the Cation, followed by Anion, followed by mixed bed.
Change only the Anion when needed.
The mixed bed canister for the most part error proofing the system, in case one of the others gets depleted without being noticed.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Co2 will cause faster depleation of your resin.
But I would have the water tested to determine if you have excess Co2 first.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your actual tds at all stages and determine if it is reading accurately. I found mine not reading correctly and changed out a meter on mine. Now I know it’s reading right.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your actual tds at all stages and determine if it is reading accurately. I found mine not reading correctly and changed out a meter on mine. Now I know it’s reading right.

This is also great advice.
I have two three probe TDS meters for redundancy.
Two probes on source water
Twp probes after RO
Two probes on the output.

It is also critical to have the probes properly orientated in the T fitting.
When you look through the T the pins need to be on the left and right.
If the are parallel and in the middle of the T thats wrong.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. I did check my TDS meter, connections, etc. With all the suggestions, My DI cartridge went brown all the way to the top. Does that mean 100% that the cartridge is exhausted?....I can try the CO2 suggestion and have my well water tested.

Have others experienced this problem, specifically using well water?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes your resin is exhausted.
They use color changing resins for this reason.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is well known that an RO on a well will have CO2 problems depleting a DI FAST.
The water should be de-gassed then pumped through the DI.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is well known that an RO on a well will have CO2 problems depleting a DI FAST.
The water should be de-gassed then pumped through the DI.

There is not a quick and simple method to properly test for Co2, by the way.
Yes one can fill a clear container and watch for the bubbles to rise and dissipate but that tells nothing for the most part. I can get this result from municipal water source.
Then you can use phenolphthalein and Sodium Hydroxide, but would need to learn how to do this, and decipher the results.

In my situation I don't want any more equipment added to the RO/DI unit.
Another container, air pump, water pump, valves, relays, ETC, and then the 24 to 48 hours to rid the water of Co2. That's just not for me. I know that DI resin's are not cheap but it will rid the water of it and that's good enough for me.
YMMV.

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 DI carts or one?

Quick question for you, as I believe I am dealing with this problem as well. Can you provide a link for the 1/4" quick connect fitting that would connect to a pump? Having a difficult time finding one that I think would work. TIA.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for you, as I believe I am dealing with this problem as well. Can you provide a link for the 1/4" quick connect fitting that would connect to a pump? Having a difficult time finding one that I think would work. TIA.
They had something like this at my local lowes for about $5

Screenshot_20201028-173045_Chrome.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back